Is Tarot getting trendy?

jema

About as trendy as crutches.
You are seeing all this because you are looking for it, or because of your tracking cookies.
My laptop is bringing things about lung cancer to my sidebar. That isn't something trendy either, only tracking

yes, it's like how you see only couples after you broke up with someone, or you notice a sudden growing number of fast food joints while on a diet...

I actually asked my brother if he noticed anything about tarot at all online or off-line, he just looked at me like I was weirder then usual.
My local new-age shop stopped selling tarot decks and ONLY see Doreen Virtue decks.
Swedish e-bay is on a good day listing maybe 10 tarot decks (of which 8 are RWS) and like 15 Virtue oracles.
The few tarot communities there were in Swedish are all closed down.
I would say there is a decline in tarot interest at least where I live.
I ONLY see tarot topics on my friends blogs, here and a few groups on Facebook. There used to be a lot more activity a few years back with e-mail lists, several large forums, Livejournal, you name it...

ladybird

Great discussion! I think it must be a combination of a few things making one big impact.

Obviously the internet has had a huge influence on the popularity and maybe trendiness of many things. In the past, you only had access to anything(s) IF you knew someone who introduced you; maybe you read about it, saw it in a movie or passed by something in a store that caught your eye. Now people can share their products/information in lightning speed.

Lotus Padma mentions the World card cycle; so interesting! It's kind of like a fashion trend that cycles back. The 1990s fashion style came back (at least last year) again which was a product of the 1970s gypsy/hippy thing. The connection to those eras to tarot IS intriguing.

I know what you mean about trends making your divine items feel more diluted. What comes to mind for me is my primary birth totem, the Owl. I know it was huge in the 70s but it made a huge comeback. (Again the connection back to the 70s.) But I have to say I love the attention because I have a couple of owl rings in my collection now that I LOVE to wear! OvO :)

All of this plus there's more people and more aware people at that. A definite blessing and a good sign that the World is growing and changing. Thankfully.

PadmeRose

AJ- I understand how those things work and that's not the occurrence I was referring to. The instances I am pointing out are people I am "following" or people I am "friends" with or friends-of-friends with on social media sites, along with blogs and tumblrs I read regularly or happen upon purposefully posting personal images or blogs and commentary on things Tarot/oracle related. Almost every instance of this happening is not coming from a tarot-themed blog or tumblr or someone I know to outwardly use Tarot. For example, I almost regularly see someone in my feed post a picture of themselves holding their "card of the day" drawn out of a tarot deck, or a random blog that announces they have "finally taken the leap" and ordered a deck. It seems to be happening more often.

Bhavana

I blame Doreen Virtue for this sudden "trendy" interest in tarot. Remains to be seen if it is a good thing or a bad thing.

Bhavana

AJ For example, I almost regularly see someone in my feed post a picture of themselves holding their "card of the day" drawn out of a tarot deck

one thing I have noticed on FB, many people on there will jump at any excuse to post a photo of themselves. Self over-exposure is rampant on that site. Maybe that has more to do with it than an interest in tarot.

jema

I am actually seeing the opposite, I am noticing a decline in interest in tarot among 'ordinary' people.
There are a lot less activity all over the internet, more people actually leaving the tarot world then coming to it. Lenormand and oracles are taking over the market and the blogs and facebook. Some of the most active people on this forum alone has left.

But it might be me that don't really see the influx of new blood, also my geographical situation is odd (stuck far up north in Sweden) perhaps there really is a massive new interest in let's say New Zealand. But just maybe it is the tarot-people that has gotten more into the social media thing then the other way around? It's an idea!

tarotbear

I sincerely hope Tarot ISN'T getting 'trendy.' Trendy tends to bring out all the super-commercial, most superficial, 'fluffy bunny' aspects of something. Luckily, those with only a super-commercial, superficial, or fluffy bunny interest in it will go away when the next trend comes along and leave those of us with a lifelong interest in Tarot around to enjoy what we enjoy about tarot.

PadmeRose

one thing I have noticed on FB, many people on there will jump at any excuse to post a photo of themselves. Self over-exposure is rampant on that site. Maybe that has more to do with it than an interest in tarot.

Yes, there's that, for sure:)

Jema- Now that you mention it, A lot of what I'm referring to is not just Tarot, it's oracle decks too. Maybe even more so than Tarot. I think perhaps some oracle decks are easier (some) for people to interpret simply than delving into the tarot symbolism?

canid

Could it be because we've left the age of Aquarius for the age of Pisces? I'd put it more down to this.

Possibly. And maybe humankind is the process of a spiritual transition; that doesn't happen overnight. People are looking for alternatives other than judgmental organized religion, instinctually feeling there's more 'out there'. Perhaps it is a trend right now, but it's the beginning of a new way of perceiving ourselves & life. Unfortunately, trends tend to exploit & everyone jumps on the bandwagon, whether they know what they're talking about or not.