The black and white Tarot Deck

rwcarter

Congrats on the interest from a major publisher! That will get your deck into the hands of a much larger audience than it otherwise might find. But if you feel that the changes they want you to make compromise the vision you had for your deck, then only you can decide whether or not to accept their offer.

You could also ask if you can self-publish a B&W version of the deck with the nudity that meets your original vision for it before the mass-produced version is released.

I was going to comment on the Minors being retreads of the RWS imagery, but if a major publisher is interested, that's how it will most likely have to be.

Rodney

nicky

they are so beautiful - I hate to think of you changing them ...

Rhapsodin

I have shown three minor arcana

Ace of swords:
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/8206/XOKPD9.jpg

Two of swords:
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/4034/8qjpFE.jpg

Three of swords:
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/117/QcbhTS.jpg

I have been requested by a publishing house, USgameInc, that maybe is interested in releasing the deck.

I have been requested changes:
illustration not geometric minor arcana, cover the nakedness and colors ...
For the minor arcana I'm working, for the color seems to have accepted the black and white but I'll cover all the nudity.

I'll try to paint something but do not know well with that technique, whether in digital or traditional, will see in the future.

Sorry to dress the nudity that there are in the cards because they had a meaning: the characters "real" (hermit, the herofant, the emperor, etc.) are dressed as the characters depicting the "concepts" (world, strength, justice, etc.) are naked.

It's sad that you have to cover the nudity for commercial publication. Please keep the original drawings as an opportunity to publish them may arise later. I have encountered several Italian artists. Italian publishing houses don't take such an austere and shameful stance on nudity which is, after all, how we all arrived in the world.

I love your pen work; am very happy at black and white, and hope you can get round this problem somehow. I'm in the queue to buy a set.

Buona fortuna,
Rhapsodin.

rwcarter

It's sad that you have to cover the nudity for commercial publication. Please keep the original drawings as an opportunity to publish them may arise later. I have encountered several Italian artists. Italian publishing houses don't take such an austere and shameful stance on nudity which is, after all, how we all arrived in the world.
Yes, but an American publishing house expressed interest and we Americans have a Puritan foundation in our history. That's why nudity is something that needs to be covered up over here. I disagree wholeheartedly, but that's where it comes from.

reall

oh! like this beautiful cards!:))

congrats! hope you get a good deal!^^ really don't know why they insist on colored and *no nudity?x,X this is beautiful as it is! you should definitly ask for right to self-publish B&W version at least some limited edition?;)))

frejasphere

Your drawings are so beautiful :) I agree with others that you should continue working through the deck the way you intended. If the publisher is serious about taking on your deck in an 'altered' format, you should still be able to self-publish the original version...? :)

Proja82

Here I show you how I dress "the world"

naked:
http://imageshack.com/a/img909/4366/HmwIoC.jpg

dressed:
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/7070/g3HMK4.jpg

the result I have reached is not bad, I'm satisfied... although it must be out of my concept

I do not think an Italian publishing house would allow me to leave the nudity, I've already been here in Italy to have problems for this.
We are surrounded by advertising, movies, pictures and more that show nudity ... here in Italy you can find nudity even in Judgement by Michelangelo in the Vatican or in churches are paintings, frescoes and sculptures with nudity ... and it is strange how see a woman naked for an advertisement for a shampoo is normal but in a tarot card is from "censor" ... but it is a long and difficult topic.

reall

oh! I like dressed up version!^^ cuz it reminds and resonates well with traditional RW I use!^^ :)) now im curious to see colored version?:)))

still not sure how would it look colored? did you decide color pallete?
imo for this style old paper sepia loook/effect would be best?:)))
in that case it would be easier than coloring and wouldn't be to far from BnW?:))

one more thing is this size US games asked you to make your cards?:))

garmonbozia

US Games = the Blockbuster Video of the tarot world...

I could be wrong, but I just can't picture a colorized version of this that would be better than the beautiful B&W line drawings.

Babalon Jones

I love them as black and white drawings but they could be beautuful in color too done skillfully.

Black and white decks always appeal to me, but I see where USG is coming from. It is a small sample size, but from what I have seen with my Majors deck the color version of the same exact deck has a much greater demand than the bkack and white version. Though maybe if I had just released them as black and white only it would have been different, who knows?