Etteilla Timeline and Etteilla card Variants - background

MikeH

Thanks, Cerulean. These descriptions seem to be tailored to the Etteilla III cards, unlike the booklet that goes with the Dusserre Etteilla III (also called Grand Jeu Oracle des Dames). If you compare the two booklets, you'll see that the phrasing is often the same as the Orsini (either c. 1838 or c. 1853), indicating that your de la Rue booklet is a revision of the Orsini to fit the new deck--with some additional variations, some of which are incorporated in the modern Grimaud booklet.

You said "circa 1860." The date you gave in Spanish is "hacia 1865." That agrees with Decker et al (p. 149), who say that the de la Rue was first issued "about 1865." (Added later: Well, I suppose c. 1865 is also "circa 1860." For similar reasons, I now say that the Orsini 2nd edition was c. 1853 rather than c. 1850, as I did at first--because Waite (or is it Levi?) gives 1853 as the publication date in his editions of Tarot of the Bohemians, and that date is also endorsed by Alfred Douglas in his Tarot of 1972. But perhaps he was just copying Waite and hadn't actually read it.)

You might compare your no. 8 card with that posted by Sumada at http://sumada.multiply.com/photos/album/131# (the card on the right). He calls this deck his "Etteilla IIIB." Since there is a tax stamp, he says, it is 1890-1917. It is considerably prettier than the other version, his "de la Rue" (the card on the left, also on his next page), which also has a tax stamp and is the version reproduced by Dusserre.

If all the cards are that pretty, you have a nice purchase. And the booklet variations are quite fascinating.

MikeH

Card 6, Les Astres.

For card 6, here are: the 1910 Etteilla I from http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks03/d01612/d01612.htm; Sumada's Etteilla II, before 1890, https://www.flickr.com/photos/sumadas-treasure-box/sets/72157631584481419/ and his La Rue Etteilla III, 1890-1917, hhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/sumadas-treasure-box/sets/72157634149140002/, https://www.flickr.com/photos/sumadas-treasure-box/sets/72157634144383225/.

06Eall.jpg

If you look closely at the Etteilla I and II, you will see that there is more in the sky than the sun, moon, and one star. There are also two astrological symbols and 6 smaller stars, suitably overpowered by the sun's rays. Here is a close up without all that paint (from the c. 1838's black and white versions); they are also there in the colored versions:

06det.jpg

All three cards are inspired by what Etteilla says in the second Cahier (translated in post #78):
6. The sixth sheet offers the false hieroglyph of an Emperor, its number of creation, which can serve for replacing it as it was formerly with the Egyptians, is 4, fourth day of creation: God made two great lights. This sheet primitively offers a Zodiac; and I believe, without rejecting anything that I have said about the fourth sheet, that the Cardmakers have moved a part of the sixth sheet onto the fourth; this of which we speak at present, the sixth sheet, has only the third number [i.e. three heavenly bodies]. It is necessary at the bottom of the Zodiac to notice there the allegory of the spirit of the colors, the white; notice that one finds again on another sheet the black, on another the red, and finally on another the seven colors, as Physics conceives them; the most interesting and the most difficult is to discover the true green color, in the center of the others.
The 4th day of creation is that on which God said "Let there be lights made in the firmament of heaven, to divide the day and the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years." Instead of the "false" association of 4 with the Emperor, we have a true association to the Empress, as Etteilla tells us in connection with card 7 ("No. 7, or the seventh sheet of the Book of Thoth, is also an Emperor, badly figured to the purpose, which was preceded by an Empress"). But it is not intended to resemble the Marseille Empress; it is a new design--two of them in fact. I think the Etteilla I's and II's stars are to represent the planets; Uranus had been determined to be a planet in 1783, to much publicity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus). To represent the zodiac we have Libra and Aries. (Why those? Does it mean anything?)

The Etteilla III goes all out in representing the Zodiac, to an extent not seen in the preceding decks. It also mightily represents the color green, in three different shades and places. The earth is in the center, with its green oceans. In contrast, the Etteilla I and II put the green earth at the bottom, sensibly attached to vegetation. By "allegory of the colors," Etteilla tells us that colors are symbolic; here he enumerates the three primary colors of alchemy, white, black, and red. Green is also alchemical, as are all together.

Now for the word lists. Again, words that are in either translation of Papus, and also in Orsini, are in regular type. Those in Papus only are in italics; and those in Orsini only in bold.
6. La Nuit. NIGHT-Obscurity, Darkness, Lack of Light, Night Scene [Fr. Nocturnal], Mystery, Secret, Mask, Hidden, Unknown, Clandestine, Occult. Eclipse.-Veil, Symbol, Figure, Image, Parable, Allegory, Mystic Fire, Veiled Purpose, Mystic Meaning, Mysterious words, Obscure discourse, Occult Science.-Hidden Machinations, Mysterious Intervention, Clandestine Actions, In secret, Clandestinely, Derision.-Blindness, Confused, Entangle, Cover, Wrap , Forget, Forgotten, Difficulty, Doubt, Ignorance.

Reversed: Le Jour. DAY. Clarity, Light, Brilliance, Splendor, Illumination, Manifestation, Evidence, Truth.-Clear, Visible, Luminous, Grant the Day [Donner le jour: Stockman has "bring into being"], Seize the Day [ Mettre au jour; Stockman has "bring to light"], Make Public [Imprimer; Stockman has "Publish"], Make Appear.-Pierce, Coming of Day [Se faire jour; Stockman has "make a way for oneself], Brighten Up [s'eclairer; Stockman has "clearing or clarification"), Acquire Knowledge.-Public Joys, Fireworks.-Expedient, Easiness.-Opening Up, Window, Gap, Zodiac.
Here the Zodiac is only mentioned once, as a kind of afterthought. The whole theme is day vs. night, in all senses. Orsini nonetheless calls this card "The Stars" (Les Astres; but in French this word includes the sun and moon); the c. 1910 and modern Grimaud booklets give the title as "The Sky" (Le Ciel).

Here is Orsini's commentary on the card, c. 1838, with my explanatory comments in brackets.
This card represents the sky; the sun still shines on the earth, but the pale light of the moon will soon have replaced it; the mystical sense of this figure is not very difficult to explain.

It signifies darkness, storms, eclipses, blindness.

If the person for whom one consults is aged, this card predicts length of days still.

If it is a young person, there will prove to be many obstacles toward a marriage projected for a long time.

Near no. 16 [Judgment], it predicts a supernatural show; a magician that you have consulted has predicted many things that did not happen.

Reversed, it promises enlightenment in your troubled affairs.
On the card, Night is the upright position; hence the upright meaning is negative. The "supernatural show" might refer to the kind of thing that is on the Judgment card, angels blowing trumpets, etc. But it is not the Last Judgment, as some might have predicted.

The c. 1865 de la Rue booklet, revised for the Etteilla III [see Cerulean’s post #90 for the French], says that the card is like no. 4, but the signs of the zodiac add to its value. With no. 16 [Judgment] we get not a supernatural show but only phenomena of nature, such as an extraordinary rain, or frost, or snow, or storms. And rather than predicting, for a lady, slanders that will turn on the perpetrator, it says only “sometimes there is a nice surprise.”

The c. 1910 Grimaud booklet does more with the opposition between day and night
No. 6 is the card of the sky. If day is upright, it announces a passion of love that one inspires in a public promenade. If night is upright, this passion will be born at a ball, or a brilliant soiree, or at a show.

If this card is beside no. 3 [Water], it announces a storm or a great rain that one will receive in the country.

If it is reversed, it promises a cold [rhume] that will last six weeks.

If it is found beside no. 18 [The Traitor], it presages a jaundice that can be cured only by drinking every morning for six days, three spoonfuls of willow-bark syrup, in a glass of warm water.

If it is reversed, beside no. 70, one will attend the performance of a piece that will be hissed, or one will attend a lecture or a sermon, whose author will be held in contempt.
The modern Grimaud has for its keywords "Secrets" and "Truth," unpacking the metaphor of Night and Day. It manages to include the essence of the previous interpretations in a small space, although without much charm. Also, we know from Orsini that the English translation given of "prodige," which can mean either "Prodigy" or "Wonder," is wrong.
No. 6 THE SKY. A card that signifies a strong tendency towards mystery and all that is enigmatic.
R: [Right side up]: For a young girl: The discovery of passion. For an elderly person: a long and happy life.
U [Upside down]: Surprise meeting. A sudden discovery.
R: with 3 - An outing in the country suddenly spoilt by a storm. With 16 - Prodigy [French Prodige, here meaning "Wonder."]
U: With 18 - Jaundice. With 70: A setback for an actor, author, lecturer.
Modern Grimaud wisely omits the treatment for jaundice. It might lose its lawsuit.

Cerulean

My mode Delarue Eve is holding an apple and the snake smiles

and shy, even though she does not know yet between good and evil, and wonder of wonders, the magician with his magic other does not have any troublesome cancans. This is a Jeu des Dames with lovely variations.

By the way, the Grand Etteilla book with Julia Orsini and the cards we know as Le Grand Etteilla, Grand Jeu des 78 Tarots Egypytens ou livre de Thoth is sold by Delarue at the same time as this Jeu des Dames. Jeu des Dames instructions in Recreations de la Cartomancie are just laying things in a line. The design of the L.oracle des Dames “imprimes en chromolithographie, a l'imitation de minatures du Xv siecle."

So we see the Jeu des Dames is their version of a fancy Marseilles and the cartomancy instructions likely are similar to cartomancy, closer to Etteillas 1770_73 playing cards and some of Etteilla majors with Julia Orsini cartomancy. They are pretty, 'est aun objet d'art
deluxe.'

I found the reference finally: In the Tarot of the Bohemians, the reference:

Bibliography:

Madamoiselle Lemarchand, Recreation de la Cartamancie, Paris, 1867, 12 mo.

Julia Orsini, Le Grand Etteilla, ou l' Art de Tirer les Cartes, 1853, 8vo.

Madame Clement, Le Courbeau Sanglant ou l'Avenir Devoile.

The Works of Etteilla have already been quoted.

Recreation de la Cartamancie that I have seems really about their 'medieval tarot' as a recreational reading cartomancy deck, only for the "Jeu des Dames"

(More soon.)

Cerulean

MikeH said:
Thanks, Cerulean. These descriptions seem to be tailored to the Etteilla III cards, unlike the booklet that goes with the Dusserre Etteilla III (also called Grand Jeu Oracle des Dames). If you compare the two booklets, you'll see that the phrasing is often the same as the Orsini (either c. 1838 or c. 1853), indicating that your de la Rue booklet is a revision of the Orsini to fit the new deck--with some additional variations, some of which are incorporated in the modern Grimaud booklet.

You said "circa 1860." The date you gave in Spanish is "hacia 1865." That agrees with Decker et al (p. 149), who say that the de la Rue was first issued "about 1865." (Added later: Well, I suppose c. 1865 is also "circa 1860." For similar reasons, I now say that the Orsini 2nd edition was c. 1853 rather than c. 1850, as I did at first--because Waite (or is it Levi?) gives 1853 as the publication date in his editions of Tarot of the Bohemians, and that date is also endorsed by Alfred Douglas in his Tarot of 1972. But perhaps he was just copying Waite and hadn't actually read it.)

You might compare your no. 8 card with that posted by Sumada at http://sumada.multiply.com/photos/album/131# (the card on the right). He calls this deck his "Etteilla IIIB." Since there is a tax stamp, he says, it is 1890-1917. It is considerably prettier than the other version, his "de la Rue" (the card on the left, also on his next page), which also has a tax stamp and is the version reproduced by Dusserre.

If all the cards are that pretty, you have a nice purchase. And the booklet variations are quite fascinating.

MikeH

Cerulean wrote
The design of the L.oracle des Dames “imprimes en chromolithographie, a l'imitation de minatures du Xv siecle."

So we see the Jeu des Dames is their version of a fancy Marseilles...'
Not the Marseille as much as the Charles VI (lower left below) or the cards in Warsaw (upper left). The Marseille suit cards probably also get their swirls of vines from a similar source; but your source specifies XV century, which is before the Marseiille. I am glad to see that it dates this work to the 15th century and not as far back as 1392, as many were insisting even after 1867.

Le-Cinq-de-DenierCharlesViWarsaw.jpg

Cerulean

Oh good, you got the pm on the German images, since my last post

I already pm:ed on Huck's discovery of the German illustrations of what I'm only calling the c. 1865 Delarue Jeu des Dames majors and sources very very similar to the c 1865 illustrations, especially card 78.

Of course my earlier post this morning reference of a 'marseilles' to the c 1865 Delarue here seems quite quite foolish itself, but I was hasty. While I was thinking of the minors, the cartomancy of course includes Etteilla's meanings, as the keywords are Etteilla's pattern.

I'll use this as a placeholder when I can get settled into some postings later this week, hopefully either continuing or posting perhaps to card 13--as my previous linked thread only as a sample goes up to card 12 or 13. Other further details will be sent/updated later.

Best wishes until then.

Cerulean

MikeH

card 7, "The Birds and the Fishes" or "The Serpent."

For card 7, I give again the 1910 Etteilla I, from http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks03/d01612/d01612.htm; Sumada's Etteilla II, date unknown, http://sumada.multiply.com/photos/album/76; and this time his second Etteilla III, 1890-1917, http://sumada.multiply.com/photos/album/131#.

07all.jpg

All three cards are inspired by what Etteilla says in the second Cahier (translated in post #78):
No. 7, or the seventh sheet of the Book of Thoth, is also an Emperor, badly figured to the purpose [or, figured to a bad purpose?], which was preceded by an Empress; it bears 5 as its number of creation. God created the flying and aquatic animals. There is no third number.
Yet the card has a snake on it as well as birds and sea creatures. Not only that, but Orsini (we shall see) attaches symbolic meaning to that snake. The relationship of this card to the Emperor, not obvious in the pictures, will become clearer in the word lists. The Emperor, after all, is the symbol of stability and benevolence for his subjects.(Again, words that are in either translation of Papus, and also in Orsini, are in regular type. Those in Papus only are in italics; and those in Orsini only in bold.)
]Appui.] SUPPORT—Aid, Prop, Flying Buttress, Column, Base, Footing, Foundation.—Principle, Reason, Cause, Subject, Stability.—Assurance, Persuasion, Conviction, Surety, Security, Confidence, Certainty.—Help, Assuagement, Assistance, Protection.—Relief, Consolation.

Reversed: PROTECTION. Defense, Assistance, Aid, Help, Influence, Benevolence, Kindness, Charity, Humaneness, Goodness, Commiseration, Pity, Compassion, Credit.—Authorization.
One might wonder whether the end of the Upright list shouldn’t actually be in the Reversed. Otherwise the two lists blend together.

Here is Orsini's commentary on the card, c. 1838, with my explanatory comments in brackets.
The Birds and the Fishes. The serpent creeps on the ground in a sign of curse, the sea is calm, the birds course in rapid flight through the aerial regions so as to show that it is only with effort that one manages to rise.

This card announces to you support from a great personage with the protection that comes from employment more elevated than you would hope [c. 1853 has “fort recherche,” “strongly sought”].

If the consultant is a girl, this card predicts for her that she will marry a rich and celebrated man.

Beside no. 68 [10 of Coins: Home/Game of Chance], this card promises big gains in business.

Near no. 42 [8 of Cups: blonde girl/Satisfaction]—I don’t see much connection], it predicts the loss of a relative who will leave you a small inheritance.

Near no. 71 [7 of Coins: Money], this tarot announces money that you will be sent by an old relative in the provinces.

When this card comes inverted, it predicts that your enemies will be thrown into a confusion that will throw them into absolute silence for a long time.
We see here considerable reflection of the word-lists and the old Marseille Emperor: protection from someone more powerful, marriage to a rich and celebrated man, enemies thrown into confusion.

The c. 1865 booklet, writing for the Etteilla III card, begins “The true sense of this card is profound peace” (for the French, see post 90). That is indeed what we see on the card. There is no need to mention a serpent, because there is none. It didn't belong there. Even Etteilla had said, "There is no third number." The c. 1865 booklet repeats the prediction about one’s enemies being thrown into confusion when the card is reversed. The support of a great personage comes when near no. 5 [a card of success]. If the consultant is young, an old relative will give them for New Year’s an aviary full of the prettiest birds from the islands. If a man, the card announces that at a party in the country he will make a remarkable catch of fish. And following near 71, an inheritance from a distant relative.

The c. 1910 Grimaud Etteilla I booklet, in contrast, calls this card “The Serpent.” Its predictions for the Uprights follow from that creature’s evil reputation, the “curse” that Orsini mentioned but did not develop, except maybe at the end, about enemies.
When this card is presented upright, it is an unfortunate sign, for it announces secret enemies; a man who empoisons a beautiful action that you have done and turns it to your blame.

But there is behind the dishonest man a friend, a little impressed, yet indignant to the end, who will take up your defense and enable you to triumph.
This booklet gives the favorable predictions to the reversed card, not only that one’s enemies will be thrown into confusion, to one’s own good success, but also that of big gains in business when near 68, and the small inheritance from a distant relative when near no. 42. It adds that the relative has the benefit of dying nearly at once [presque subitement].

The modern Grimaud gives a slight nod to the c. 1910, but in general takes Orsini’s all or mostly favorable attitude:
7. THE SNAKE. Although this card provokes hostility, it is not always bad for it also gives help and protection.
R [Right side up]: For a married man - happiness in his home. For a young girl – a marriage that seemed extremely unlikely. For a subordinate – Protection.
U [Upside down]: The predictions mentioned above are less positive.
R: next to 68 (especially upside down) – A win in gambling. With 48 [2 of Cups: Love/Desire] – Small inheritance.
U: With 71 –Money coming in.
“Happiness in his home” reflects the word-list and before that the meaning of the Marseille Emperor. “Provokes hostility,” which describes the action of the serpent in Eden, might also relate to the Emperor. The gambling win relates more specifically than previously to card 68, which has “Game of Chance” as its upside-down keyword. Transferring the prediction of a small inheritance to card 48 from 42 is just as overly specific; 48 has as its reversed meaning (in this booklet) the same thing as 42, Satisfaction.

MikeH

xv century miniatures.

A couple of posts back I said that when the c. 1865 book said “imprimes en chromolithographie, a l'imitation de minatures du Xv siecle" it meant the Charles VI backgrounds. Thanks to Cerulean's pm referring me to a thread in another forum, I see now that the c. 1865 was probably referring to the miniatures of the Nuremberg Chronicle--or something very similar, such as copies of them. I stand corrected.

Here is p. 101 of the Chronicle, which has someone very like the Etteilla Fool in the bottom right hand corner. Then go to p. 112, 128, and so on, for a lot of the Etteilla III trumps (but not those of Etteilla I or II). All of this is discussed in detail elsewhere.

http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de...ztsewqeayaxssdasyztsqrseayaxs&no=43&seite=101

Cerulean

9-13 majors...finishing the sample!

9. La Justice

Ce tarot, qui vous represente la Justice avec ses attributs, est pour vous l'announce d'une reusitte complete dans le proces que vous avez entrepris; il a une signification differente lorsqu'il sort renverse; mais, aupres des nos. 9 et 22, il est considerablement modifie, car il n'y a que des lenteurs a craindre.

Si le consultant n'a point de proces, ce tarot luit dit que l'estime des honnetes gens lui est acquise a just titre; mais aussi, s'il venait renverse, cela voudrait dire que d'injustes soupcons courent sur son compte. Pres des nos. 18 et 27, dans n'importe quel sens que vienne cette carte, elle lui assure consideration unanime.

Si c'est pour une jeune personne que l'on consulte, il lui predit reussite.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
10. La Temperance

Voice un tarot qui n'a qu'une seule signification, la temperance. Quel que soit le sens dans lequel il arrive, droit ou renverse, il vous dit donc de vous temperer en toutes choses.

La temperance est une vertu que peu de gens possedenta tous les degres; mais celui que peut etre maltre de sa propre personne, arrive facilement a une superiorite quelconque.

Les anciens intepretes des tarots regardaient toujours celui-ci comme un des meilleurs augures, parce qui' annonacait, a celui pour qui l'on operati, les plus brillants resultats.

Pour un militaire, il indique un grand courage et une grande valeur; pour une jeune personne, ce tarot lui predit un mari remplis des plus belles qualites.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. 11 La Force

Les cartomanciens out, de tout temps, donne, a ce tarot l'intepretation la plus heureuse. Si'l arrive droit, il announce les honneurs, le richesses et toutes les plus belles chances de reussite.

Si ce tarot vient renverse, il peut alors signifier disgrace; mais il faut, pour cela, que le tarot de gauche ou celui de droite soit de mauvais augure. Accompangne du no. 51, il vous avertit qe vous recesvrez des presents considerables ou meme un heritage magnifique.

Pour une dame ou pour une jeune personne, il lui predit de grands succes dans un bal or autre reunion. Pour un guerrier, avancement, succes dans une bataille. Pour un plaideur, gain de proces.

----------------------------------------------------------------
12. La Prudence

Ce tarot vous avertit de vous tenir sur vos gardes dans toutes les occasions, et le serpent caracterize le demon tentateur.

Mais si ce tarot arrive en compagnie des nos 9, 10 ou 11, il est un signe approbatif de la maniere dont vous avez conduit vos affaires.

A cote du no 64, il est un avis de difficultes de peu d'importance; et cet oracle est modifie par la carte suivante, si c'est un des quartre cavalieres ou des quatre valets, car, dans ce cas, elle vous announce que vous pouvez compter sur vos amis pour vous obliger en toute occasion.
--------------------------------------------------------------

13. Le Grand Pretre

Si le consultant est un jeune homme, cette carte lui announce qu'il epousera sous peu la personne qu'il desire. Cette prediction veut dire la meme chose, lorsque la consultante est une jeune fille a marier, c'est-a-dire qu'elle sera unie au jeune homme sur qui elle a jete ses vues.

Mai lorsque le consultant est marie, l'oracle alors se prononce pour un parent ou une parente trespoche.

A cote du no. 57, il vous announce un raccommodement avec la personne qui vous tenait rigueur depuis peu.

Pres du no. 70, il est l'annonce d'un mariage d'ou naltra beaucoup d'enfants.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think stopping at 13 right now is good, as that matches as much as I typed in another thread of "Julia Orsini" meanings. A wee bit later, Mr. MikeH will be able to compare what meanings of Delarue circa 1865 from Mlle LeMarchant that he cares to share... and images, if he wishes, for our cheering eyes here...

Later...

MikeH

9. Justice

For card 9, here are: the 1910 Etteilla I from http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks03/d01612/d01612.htm; Sumada's Etteilla II, pre-1890, http://sumada.multiply.com/photos/album/76; and De La Rue Etteilla III, 1890-1917, http://sumada.multiply.com/photos/album/16.

09all.jpg

I unfortunately do not have Etteilla’s own comments on the Justice card, presumably in Cahier 2 (at least he says in the “days of creation” section that he is also going to talk about the virtues). If someone has these pages (in French, I assume), I’d love to see them. All I have is the engraving that appeared as the frontispiece to Cahier 1, the original for the card, which I put in the middle below.

08abatonsHeronEtteilla.jpg

The Etteilla differs from the Marseille image (at right, Conver 1761) mainly in the odd shapes. For one, there is the feather-like sword; it is also like the strange sticks that occur in various configurations in the suit of Batons (at left above, from Sumada's c. 1890 deck). Another odd feature is one side of the balance, with a ball instead of a tray. It is as though the material on one side were being weighed against a standard measure in the shape of a metal ball. It is perhaps relevant that the need for a standard measure was acutely felt among scientists at that time. Part of the impetus for the metric system was the desire to define measurements by reference to a standard, a desire that materialized in the 1790s as the "standard meter" on an iron bar kept in Paris (http://www.surveyhistory.org/the_standard_meter1.htm). But I have not read anything about the card to confirm or deny this hypothesis.

Now for the word lists. Again, words that are in either translation of Papus, and also in Orsini, are in regular type. Those in Papus only are in italics; and those in Orsini only in bold.
9. [La Justice.] JUSTICE —Equity, Probity, Honesty, Rightness, Right, Uprightness, Rectitude[,b], Reason.—Tribunal. Administering [Executing] Justice. Thot, or the book of Thot.

Reversed: [Le Légiste.] JURIST. Legislation, Legislator.—Law, Decree, Code, Ordinance, Statutes, Precept, Commandment, Domination, Institution, Constitution, Temperament, Complexion, Natural law and moral law, religious law, Political laws, Natural Rights, Human Rights, Public Law [or right, Droit], Civil Law [or Rights, Droit], Military Law [Droit de la guerre, i.e. rights of war]. The Jurist is under the immediate influence of this hieroglyph.
Orsini's commentary on the card, c. 1838, begins by referring us to a long footnote at the bottom of the page; the italics are in the original.
(*)Justice, said the Sages, signifies Equity, but this word is only a sound; for it not to be arbitrary, but on the contrary, fixed, we must give a true idea of all that this harmonious sound contains, to analyze it, or otherwise man will pronounce Justice and Equity a hundred thousand times, and he will not be the less unjust.

Justice comprises the natural positive rights of men; the rights of the fathers of families; of the sovereign, of the masters, and finally of superiors over inferiors.

It comprises the right of giving recompense, of commuting the punishment of crimes, proportionally to their nature, following the intention [volunte], or the action, considering the knowledge, or ignorance of the guilty; this is called interpretation of the law.
I suspect that this disquisition on the nature of justice, while relevant and accurate, was not originally written for this book, as the subtleties of the third paragraph are not apparent either in the explication or on the card. That paragraph is more relevant to the standard Marseille image, in which Justice’s elbow might be leaning on one side of the balance, making the sides equal in weight when they aren’t. That might signify that there is more to justice than fitting the punishment to the harm done, or to the decree not followed: adjustments have to be made considering the person’s intent, knowledge, and other factors.

The main body of the c. 1838 is then as follows, with my explanatory comments in brackets:
King Solomon seated on his throne holds in his hands the attributes of justice.

This card announces to you that the lawsuit for which you have dispensed considerable sums will soon be judged in your favor, or that a quarrel that has estranged you from a relative or a powerful friend, will cease to be harmful to you.

If it is a woman for whim one consults, this tarot announces to her that the slanders spread on her account will be discovered very soon.

Near no. 28 [8 of Batons: Country Party/Internal Quarrels], whether upright or reversed, it warns of an ambush in which the consultant will be wounded [c. 1853: disgraced), if a man; if a woman, she will be grossly insulted [c. 1853: slandered].

If this tarot is found near no. 22 [King of Batons: Man of the Country/Good and Just Man], it announces dignities, titles of honor, if it is upright; but reversed, it predicts the loss of a source of income, or of a sum of money.

Reversed, this card is always a bad prediction, a sign of chicanery; lawyers [advocats] without cause [c. 1853: writers] will try to undermine your business; but if no. 71 [7 of Coins: Money] is found at the right or left, it signifies only minor trouble.
There is of course no “King Solomon” pictured. But he is the archetype. The explication is clearly related to the keywords: the consultant will get justice if the card comes upright, and otherwise there is trouble, of which lawyers might be a cause.

The c. 1865 follows the c. 1838 about the successful lawsuit, and advises that if reversed, the signification is different; but after 22 [Good and Just man], one need fear only slowness. If the consultant does not have a lawsuit, the tarot says that the esteem of honest men will be justly earned; but if reversed, unjust suspicions will be circulated on his account. Near no. 18 [Traitor] and 27 [9 of batons: Retard/Traverses, i.e. Delay/Crossings], however it comes, it assures him of “unanimous respect.” For a young person, it concludes, no. 9 predicts success.

I do not understand the prediction relating to 18 and 27. Perhaps it comes from these numbers’ being multiples of 9.

The c. 1910 Grimaud booklet says, like the ones before it, that the consultant will win his case and justice will be served, if the card comes upright. If it comes reversed, the c. 1910 warns of chicanery and advises getting a lawyer. There is a caution: “But the lawyer whom you consult in the morning will be less concerned with getting you out of trouble than with taking all he can from you.” The ambush mentioned in c. 1838, when no. 28 is near, will be in annoying debates, and consist, for a man, of blows from a stick, and for a woman, of a snub. With 22, it, like the c. 1838, predicts dignities and titles, but if reversed, one will take a job, some honor, or a little money.

The modern Grimaud has something different for the Upright card: “The person in whom you are interested is loyal and has integrity. You can put your full trust in this person.” Like the c. 1910, when reversed it advises contacting a lawyer, but without the c. 1910’s caution about self-serving ones. With 22, there are again honors if upright, or a promotion, and justice rendered to you; but if 22 is reversed, your job becomes insecure. This time, when 28 [rev., Internal disputes] is near-—but only if reversed--there will be “an exchange of blows” (“a fist-fight,” says the English translation). It adds that if 27 is near, justice will be rendered to you; but with 68 [10 of Coins: Game of chance] or 71 reversed [7 of Coins: rev., Inquietude, and in the explanation, money problems], do not attempt any business deals at the moment.

Again, as with the c. 1865, there is that odd prediction with 27 [here Delay/Misfortune].