A couple of questions re Thelema

Abrac

Lately I've been pondering something I'm getting nowhere with, so thought I'd hand it off to the Thelema enthusiasts.

What does the concept of a "dying god" represent in Thelema? Is it only applied on a larger macrocosmic scale, to Christ and Osiris for example, or does it also encompass microcosmic concepts like the mystical death and resurrection of a candidate in the Mysteries or other orders?

And, if the Aeon of Osiris represents death and resurrection, what does the Aeon of Horus represent in contrast? I know it's the aeon of the "crowned and conquering child," but what does that mean? If the aeon of death and resurrection has run its course, what has replaced it?

ravenest

Lately I've been pondering something I'm getting nowhere with, so thought I'd hand it off to the Thelema enthusiasts.

What does the concept of a "dying god" represent in Thelema?

Lots. It might also help to read Frazer on it as well as Crowley, to get the full psychological implications - its a wide range of concepts that covers all sorts of things like the negative aspects of Christianity( sacrifice, pre-birth guilt, redemption, substitution {the scapegoat} ) to concepts of nature ( death, rebirth / 'resurrection' ), cosmology ( the Sun dies each day and travels through the 'underworld' ), society and religion ( hierarchical alpha-male dominated ) ... etc.

Is it only applied on a larger macrocosmic scale, to Christ and Osiris for example, or does it also encompass microcosmic concepts like the mystical death and resurrection of a candidate in the Mysteries or other orders?

No yes . ( no to the first part, yes to the second ) This is well demonstrated in Crowleys writings at the end of the third degree ritual. Its a very significant stage in the Candidate;s progression, its the penultimate climax to the Man of Earth triad and the last initiation to be done in an Oasis ( fourth degree is on a 'different plane' and done in a Lodge ) . At the end of the third degree, the Initiate has gone through significant progression so far, and perhaps a few years at it, and hopefully done the required work and study. it is a bit of an achievement .

But then the newly made 'Master Magician' is informed (via the text Crowley wrote and the initiator) that all of this was but the rituals of the Dying God. It is necessay to understand and comprehend all this as we are still in its energy, we were bought up in its influence and the world still pretty much operates in this way.

Now it gets really interesting, it is pointed out that the whole thing originally came about from a misapprehension about the Sun orbiting the earth and passing through the underworld each night to be reborn but actually, the Sun pretty much 'stays there' and the earth turns so that our location passes into the shadow of the earth as it turns away from the Sun. We can all pretty much comprehend that nowadays, but then Crowley drips his bomb ( which is common sense if one thinks it through a bit ) .... he asks us to contemplate how this changed arrangement reinterprets and re modifies everything we have learnt so far that was based on the old arrangement - eg the sun, is a central motif and energy in magic, it never really sets , it doesnt die and be reborn each day, WE just pass through shadow. The journey of the sun is seen as an analogy for the human afterlife, so what does this new knowledge imply for that journey, and so on. From there onwards, in the degree progression, it is pretty much then left behind, the rest is done from more of a 'New Aeon ' perspective .

So I would say a definite yes to the second part, crowley wrtes it very clear in the ritual ... almost to the extent of writing exactly what you did and almost to the extent of 'reading the riiot act' to the candidate :D

And, if the Aeon of Osiris represents death and resurrection, what does the Aeon of Horus represent in contrast?

A never dying ever 'shining' 'God', always present , its just that at times things obscure that presence to us and we move into shadows. And a lot more , of course.

I know it's the aeon of the "crowned and conquering child," but what does that mean?

? Thats a big explanation ! I thought you would have picked up something by now ? Its been a few years. . . . I thought you had read the Book of the Law ? Or at least a bit of Crowley

I suppose we could start a list here and all add to it :)

I will start on a basic easily understood level;

+ moving towards sexual equality ....

If the aeon of death and resurrection has run its course, what has replaced it?

I think its not really a question of 'what has replaced it' .... its still pretty much operational and NOT replaced.

The first 'trick' is to 'replace it' in your own consciousness ;)

Abrac

I don't study Crowley seriously, I know enough to be dangerous as they say; but I started thinking on this and quickly realized it would be prudent to turn to those more knowledgeable on the subject.

What you said about the sun and the earth makes a lot of sense.