Cheimonette Tarot - DEATH card??

EmpressArwen

Does anyone own this deck? I'm drawn to the style and the cards I've seen are very interesting...except the DEATH card makes no sense to me! Nothing about it says "death" imo. There are the butterfly wings, which can represent transformation, I guess. But the naked woman is pregnant...and the weird skinny naked kid??

I just don't get it. Any thoughts? What am I missing?

https://www.magicalomaha.com/p/507-...den-Gallanter-self-published-small-press.aspx

Dee Ell

Yeah, that is pretty opaque to me... Though I didn't read it as her being naked, it looks like she's got on a dancer's decorated body suit with wings to me 😂

Philistine

Looks like a case of serious tarot-denial. I'm not a fan of downplaying the prickly cards--life isn't all sunshine and unicorn farts. Instead, this card is focusing on all the stuff that happens *after* death: transformation, moving on, new life, and so forth. Which is fine, but more properly belongs to other cards that already traditionally hold these meanings. The fertility thing REALLY needs to stay with the Empress, in my opinionated opinion. >le sigh<

I guess there is a large audience for new-agey reinterpretations of the "scary" cards, though.

EmpressArwen

Yeah, that is pretty opaque to me... Though I didn't read it as her being naked, it looks like she's got on a dancer's decorated body suit with wings to me &#55357;&#56834;

Oh interesting. I saw it as naked but with body paint. She is kind of contorted like a dancer. Thanks!

Looks like a case of serious tarot-denial. I'm not a fan of downplaying the prickly cards--life isn't all sunshine and unicorn farts. Instead, this card is focusing on all the stuff that happens *after* death: transformation, moving on, new life, and so forth. Which is fine, but more properly belongs to other cards that already traditionally hold these meanings. The fertility thing REALLY needs to stay with the Empress, in my opinionated opinion. >le sigh<

I guess there is a large audience for new-agey reinterpretations of the "scary" cards, though.

Haha! Yes this is probably true...but I found this imagery to be far scarier than the regular death card. Something creepy about that kid and the way he is holding onto the woman. Weird! I definitely agree about the Empress being the pregnant one...that fits with the meaning of the card.

There was a deck out not too long ago that had the Death card as a coccoon and maybe a butterfly somewhere on the card. I didn't care for that but at least I could kind of see what it was going for. This one...just weird to me. lol

Thanks!

Butterflies symbolize, amongst many other things, death, and especially resurrection/rebirth. I see a lot pointing at the rebirth idea.

Probably of interest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itzpapalotl

Thanks for the link. That is interesting! I guess the rebirth is what the card is going for. It's just really odd imagery. I prefer the skeleton riding a horse over this! lol

Thanks!

EmpressArwen

Oh my...just scrolled under the picture to see other cards...is that naked guy the HERMIT?

Hmmmm....

rygD

Thanks for the link. That is interesting! I guess the rebirth is what the card is going for. It's just really odd imagery. I prefer the skeleton riding a horse over this! lol

Thanks!

With Itzpapalotl you get a bit of everything on that card: butterfly wings, (dead) children, (protection of) pregnant women. I doubt she is the one being depicted, as some key elements are missing, but it may help you appreciate that card if it is the only one in the deck that you don't like.

EmpressArwen

Haha! True but I think walking would be a safer way to travel, especially while naked!