Naming a deck?

rubyalison

Has anyone ever given one of their decks a name? When I'm doing daily draw cards for myself, I feel like I'm having a conversation with the deck and find myself wanting to address it by some sort of name.

Similar perhaps in a way to having given a name to my diary before so my entries were Dear so and so...

I don't have a name in my mind for my deck but I'll come up with one. And I don't feel like all my decks want names, just this my favorite and daily deck.

Anyone else do that?

Barleywine

Has anyone ever given one of their decks a name? When I'm doing daily draw cards for myself, I feel like I'm having a conversation with the deck and find myself wanting to address it by some sort of name.

Similar perhaps in a way to having given a name to my diary before so my entries were Dear so and so...

I don't have a name in my mind for my deck but I'll come up with one. And I don't feel like all my decks want names, just this my favorite and daily deck.

Anyone else do that?

This will fire up the "anthropomorphize your decks" debate! :) I've never done this but the possibilities are tantalizing. One of my brothers names all his cars. He has a huge, low-slung 1964 Dodge pickup he named "Jed" because it resembles the one the Clampetts drove to California in the "Beverly Hillbilies" TV show. And of course all his Volkswagens have had German names. I bet I could come up with a couple of wicked ones for my Thoth.

Let's see . . . I think I'll name my RWS "Edwin" after the Crowley villain, "Edwin Arthwait" in "Moonchild." That's a nice "starchy" name. And . . . hmm, the Thoth could be "Lex" after the Latin for "Law" and also Crowley's resemblance to the classic Superman comic book character, Lex Luthor (not Gene Hackman, he had too much hair).

Isn't this fun?

Thoughtful

Well l do not name any of my tarot's with actual names, though if you look at my signature below you will see l have one l call Friend. That's how l see and use it when referring to and asking questions such as "what do l need to know today my Friend". l will ask quietly in my mind as l normally always do when using the cards.
If l have a client reading to do l will pick up my cards and mentally say "come on old Friend we have work to do."

Barleywine

. . . if you look at my signature below you will see l have one l call Friend. That's how l see and use it when referring to and asking questions such as "what do l need to know today my Friend". l will ask quietly in my mind as l normally always do when using the cards.
If l have a client reading to do l will pick up my cards and mentally say "come on old Friend we have work to do."

I like this idea. I suppose if I had the Ludy Lescot I could call it my "Bosom Buddy." :D

Thoughtful

I like this idea. I suppose if I had the Ludy Lescot I could call it my "Bosom Buddy." :D

Well why not :joke: we could go on and on here along this line of thought but not quite what rubyalison had in mind, or is it.

Barleywine

Well why not :joke: we could go on and on here along this line of thought but not quite what rubyalison had in mind, or is it.

Probably not. But now that she got me started, I really am going to start thinking of my Thoth as "Lex," just between me and it, or would that be "him?" (I can feel Le Fanu cringing all the way over here in New Hampshire! :))

Grizabella

Mine come with names----the names of the deck. But we did have a Mercedes I named Brunhilde. A diesel one and that just seemed like the right name for her. A strong, solid, slow-but-sure German.

rubyalison

Well l do not name any of my tarot's with actual names, though if you look at my signature below you will see l have one l call Friend. That's how l see and use it when referring to and asking questions such as "what do l need to know today my Friend". l will ask quietly in my mind as l normally always do when using the cards.

That's nice. I quite like that.

Mine come with names----the names of the deck. But we did have a Mercedes I named Brunhilde. A diesel one and that just seemed like the right name for her. A strong, solid, slow-but-sure German.

I always name my cars. The one I have right now is Pedro :)

This will fire up the "anthropomorphize your decks" debate! :) I've never done this but the possibilities are tantalizing. One of my brothers names all his cars. He has a huge, low-slung 1964 Dodge pickup he named "Jed" because it resembles the one the Clampetts drove to California in the "Beverly Hillbilies" TV show. And of course all his Volkswagens have had German names. I bet I could come up with a couple of wicked ones for my Thoth.

Let's see . . . I think I'll name my RWS "Edwin" after the Crowley villain, "Edwin Arthwait" in "Moonchild." That's a nice "starchy" name. And . . . hmm, the Thoth could be "Lex" after the Latin for "Law" and also Crowley's resemblance to the classic Superman comic book character, Lex Luthor (not Gene Hackman, he had too much hair).

Isn't this fun?

Yes - I'm not taking this too seriously or trying to make it more than it is. It is my instinct to use a name, but I'm all for having a laugh too.

Clockwork Ghost

My Deviant Moon deck is called Fred - it has a personality a bit like Fred Dagg, for all you Kiwis and maybe Aussies who know who Fred Dag was. I also had an old Kingswood that was called 'Stupid Bastard Car', also known as 'why did I buy this stupid bastard car?' I broke its chassis changing a tyre, it was that rusty - you could open the door with a spoon. This was a long time ago, before kids, when you could almost get away with owning an unregistered car in New Zealand, so long as you never drove it into town...

closerwalking

I love this! Thank you for sharing, what a wonderful way to approach working with the cards.