3X3 reading

CosmicBeing

I am new to this form of reading. I bought a book and such to help with studying. My question is... what is the time period does a 3x3 spread looks at?

Can a 3X3 reading look at a situation in the past? But, even then.... what time period does it range so a 3 week period...a 3 month period.. or could you set what period each line looks at like let's say:

{Nov 8th week}
{Nov 15th week}
{Nov 22nd week}

OR

Month of November

OR
{November 2015}
{December 2015}
{January 2016}

Anyway appreciate any wonderful knowledge y'all have to offer. Thank you for reading my post and replying to my question!

Padma

a 3 x 3 can certainly be all about the past; you don't need to read it as past, present and future. But you have to make sure your question very clearly defines what you are asking about.

If you are going to cast the cards for different weeks, why not use a line of five for each week, shuffling and re-laying the cards for each new week? I think it would serve you better than the 3 x 3.

I usually limit my 3 x 3 to a one month window, and if I need longer coverage than that, I use the Grand Tableau spread instead.

I find the 3 x 3 is also good for answering a very specific question.

Your mileage may vary, but that is how I do it :)

1Eleven

I'd second what Padma said - I wouldn't recommend breaking down the 3x3 like that.

3x3 can look at roughly 4-6 weeks but I'd encourage you to play with this and see how it works out for you.

CosmicBeing

Thank you all for your reply. So a 3x3 usually looks at a 4-6 week period.

My next question is.... the middle card believe it's the 5th card... that is like the overall energy of the spread. Then you read the 4 corners right? so 1, 3, 7, & 9.... so 1 + 3 reflect each other... 1+7 reflect each other.... 3 + 9 reflect each other. But, would you also read it as 7 + 1 + 3 & 1 + 3 + 9? I hope i am making sense.

Tag_jorrit

Yes, all of the above. And if you read them sort of like the near/far or method of distance as in the traditional GT and pick a significator card to be in the middle (or find a theme card there if you haven't picked as signifier) you can see the cards above as being influences out of the person's control and the ones below as elements the person has some control over.

CosmicBeing

Yes, all of the above. And if you read them sort of like the near/far or method of distance as in the traditional GT and pick a significator card to be in the middle (or find a theme card there if you haven't picked as signifier) you can see the cards above as being influences out of the person's control and the ones below as elements the person has some control over.

Interesting didn't know that. Thank you a lot for your help!

I notice people adding up the card number...can you add up card numbers for 3 cards? or only like 5 cards?

Tag_jorrit

I don't do any of the number adding. I am more interested in the traditional Lenormand methods as described in the original PL sheet. Some meanings have been added to the PL sheet over time, and I admit I use some of them. But I think that counting and using houses are an addition from cartomancy that were added over the years but I don't use them, although many people do.

I think you can wring a lot of information out of a traditional GT without lots of additions, but maybe I will try the houses one day; I think I will leave counting to people who like to complicate their lives. ;)

Padma

I notice people adding up the card number...can you add up card numbers for 3 cards? or only like 5 cards?

I only do that when I feel I need more info or feel there is something at the bottom of it, but I can't quite put my finger on it. The card you get as a result of adding and reducing is called a "quintessence" card, and it can add to the reading, by summing it up and telling you the basic issue.

I would only do that with three to five card spreads - beyond that, it is a bit of a waste of time, and if you cannot get all the info you need from 9 + cards, then...you need to practice more! ;)

1Eleven

I don't do any of the number adding. I am more interested in the traditional Lenormand methods as described in the original PL sheet. Some meanings have been added to the PL sheet over time, and I admit I use some of them. But I think that counting and using houses are an addition from cartomancy that were added over the years but I don't use them, although many people do.

I think you can wring a lot of information out of a traditional GT without lots of additions, but maybe I will try the houses one day; I think I will leave counting to people who like to complicate their lives. ;)

Bingo. If you can't get to the core answer with 3 cards, adding them up for a 4th is only going to muddy the waters. If you can learn to do more with less you're well on your way to capturing the essence of a reading - anything you do beyond that can be beneficial (mirroring, knighting, etc) but you must have the fundamentals in place first.

Kurenai

It all depends. Sometimes the all the numbers added up (quint it's called, I believe) can give you some insight into the overall energy of the reading, but not always. Some people also look at the base, which is the card at the very bottom of the deck. I usually resort to the quint and the base if the meaning of the spread is not clear to me.