Burnout after a fair

TheCousin

My girlfriend and I started participating in a metaphysical biannual fair. There are many tarot/oracle readers, occult booksellers, energy therapists and crystal sellers there and we wanted to put our skills to the test where it matters - 8 hours daily for a weekend.

Now, I'm not the kind of guy who sees invisible influences everywhere he goes. Regardless, we went to the same fair twice and the same thing happened - up to a week after the fair we argue a lot and feel as if somebody coated us with black, sticky goo.

It seems that the aftermath doesn't have much to do with ordinary things such as our performance, financial success, rest or our relationship. We go through a crappy period for 4-5 days and then we're back to normal.

Has anybody else experienced something similar to this?

Apollonia

Hi, TheCousin! I work out of a shop, and I don't do fairs because I don't like them.

However, I once had the experience of walking into a psychic fair to see about getting a reading, and feeling that the energy was very heavy and actually quite unpleasant and tiring, just from spending a few minutes there. I was surprised to find this, and I checked it out with my teacher, a very experienced lifelong psychic who had participated in many fairs over the years. She told me that in quite a few fairs she had worked, the energy from the other readers was very competitive, sometimes even angrily so, and was often directed in a confrontational way at the readers who were the most popular.

Whether directed at you in particular or not, this energy could be what's sticking to you and your girlfriend. I would definitely suggest some psychic cleansing after these events.

Demon Goddess

One thing that I have noticed is that the vast majority of visitors at psychic fairs are two sorts... believers who are desperately seeking a solution; think of them as succubi, because they'll absorb the energy of as many readers as they can possibly feed on. And the other are oglers, visiting to see what sort of geeks would believe in this sort of bunk.

The trade show aspect of the fairs, it seems to me would form any positive energy that one might find there and (especially if you are reading), you could find a way to glom onto that energy, build yourself a wall so that the negative sludge doesn't fill up your vessel which will empty just a little more each time you read.

I'm lucky in that my empathy doesn't reach into my inner spirit, but there must be some way (white light energies or something stronger) that one can put up walls to protect oneself from the energy drain or the sludge filling.

(Tell me this doesn't sound as dumb to you guys as it sounds to me).

Umbrae

There are a couple of fellow participants on this very forum and I who do small psychic fairs around the area. I know that none of us feel this way afterwards. I’ve also done the bigger more competitive fairs and have never felt this way after.

Incidentally you’re not the first person to post about negative reactions after reading at a fair – however you may be the first to describe the negativity that lasts for days afterwards.

That said, I know what you’re going through.

You’re not drinking enough water, and you’re not ‘grounding’ properly.

Failure to do either and you’ll end up feeling pretty poopy, and it doesn’t just ‘go away’.

If you want to read in a situation like this, you’re going to want to drink about 2 liters of water for each 8 hour period.

…and ground from the feet, not the spine. Think of a huge infinity symbol that runs down the back of your legs into the earth, up the front of your legs, crosses about 2 inches below your navel, travels up your back, over your head, down your front, crosses…etc. always in motion…

If you're gonna read professionally, you have to keep the system in good working order...

AJ

Umbrae said:
…and ground from the feet, not the spine. Think of a huge infinity symbol that runs down the back of your legs into the earth, up the front of your legs, crosses about 2 inches below your navel, travels up your back, over your head, down your front, crosses…etc. always in motion…

What a great mental image to form, thank you.
Do you only read up north or do you ever do a roadie and get down south sometimes?

tmgrl2

When I first started reading, I found myself a bit drained when I did some in a row....but, then, I did follow Umbrae's suggestions...mostly the fluids....I always have a huge glass or bottle of water with me and drink plenty of fluids....grounding is a good idea, too, however you do it.

Even when I am feeling very tired or down or at my worse, readings always give me a spiritual boost or "high," an uplifting feeling that something good has happened.

terri

Baroli

I find that as I have gotten older, it takes me a little more time to "ground myself" and be ready for the client. With that in mind, I always do a visualization exercise that I have found in recent days really works for me. I visualize as I am doing right now, that I am forming a spiritual energy ball in my hands. And in my mind, I am playing with it, tossing it around from hand to hand, never loosing sight of it. Then I throw it in the air and let it hit me on the top of my head and let it trickle all the way down to my feet.

Sorry, Umbrae you said from the ground up, I go from head to toe,........but then I am a little bass-ackwards sometimes. :D

And don't forget to hydrate.

Umbrae

I did a St Pat's party on Saturday.

Read for four hours straight. They were lined up for their readings. Even the Ladies who 'Don't believe in this psychic stuff' who'd 'Never done this before' were raving about their readings...

Wasn't tired. Wasn't crabby or grouchy (or moreso than normal...ROFLMAO)...

But I had my bottle of bubbly water at my side all night.

Deck? I flopped between a Della Rocca and a Boho Gothic/Silver.