9 of Cups: Wish Granted?

nisaba

Once I asked the cards: "Will God grant me this wish?" Then a 9 of cups card came up. That is the "wish fulfilled" card.

.... says a few of the books written well after I started reading Tarot.

So would it be pretty safe to assume the answer is: Yes, God will grant this wish?

Look at the image, really look.

On the Rider-Waite cards, we see someone who looks bloated, with an unhealthy red flush on their face, with closed body-language standing between the observer and the cups as if he refuses to share. It seems like an image of greed and selfishness to me.

You have to ask: even if the card is always "a wish fulfilled" to YOU as an individual reader: is having this wish fulfilled going to be good for you or bad for you? (Even wishing a certain person to fall in love with you can be a bad thing if you get it and then they change or you discover things you don't like about them).

Barleywine

You have to ask: even if the card is always "a wish fulfilled" to YOU as an individual reader: is having this wish fulfilled going to be good for you or bad for you?

It might be said that Justice is more of a "wish fulfillment" card, assuming you truly deserve what you're wishing for. If you don't, well, you'll get something else equally appropriate.

Thirteen

You can get some satisfaction

It might be said that Justice is more of a "wish fulfillment" card, assuming you truly deserve what you're wishing for. If you don't, well, you'll get something else equally appropriate.
We don't always get what we want but we get what we need? ;)

I, myself, don't read the 9/Cups as "wish granted" meaning whatever you've wished for you'll get. I read it as the "emotional satisfaction" card. To me, the gent in the card has gotten the last cup to finish his collection. That's a small wish granted to satisfy. Not a big one. So, in answer to "Will god grant me this wish?" I feel the answer is "You will get just enough to feel satisfied..." If it's "will this person fall in love with me" then they may not fall in love...but they may see you, talk to you, and engage with you. Enough to satisfy, enough to get the ball rolling towards love...but not the whole wish granted exactly as asked.

Thirteen

On the Rider-Waite cards, we see someone who looks bloated, with an unhealthy red flush on their face, with closed body-language standing between the observer and the cups as if he refuses to share. It seems like an image of greed and selfishness to me.
You are so harsh on this card ;) I don't think he looks bloated. Husky maybe? Like one of those big boned gents who hauls around beer barrels? As for unhealthy flush...no one in the deck has good coloring, and I don't think his is any better or worse than other figures. I'll grant you that his arms are crossed. That is "closed" but his smirk could be "Ha! I finally finished my collection! Take a look at all these beautiful cups." I think, in short, that he's gotten the one little thing to make him satisfied.

That said, you make an excellent point! I totally agree that the 9/Cups is a smug, satisfied and selfish card. Sometimes that's bad, as you point out, and getting what you wish means you're being greedy and thoughtless. Then again, it's not always good to deny yourself. There is that poem "Harlem" by Langston Hughes that is all about "a dream deferred" and what happens to people who are always wishing for something, yet always having to defer satisfying that wish for whatever reasons (including because they need to be selfless and feed their kids rather than buy something nice for themselves). It can be very destructive to the soul.

So, selfishness isn't always a bad thing. And giving ourselves "me" time, or even a special treat is often good for the soul. But, again, I will totally agree with you that too many people fail to consider whether what they are wishing for, and think they want, is (1) Good for others, and (2) all that good for them. You can wish for a huge house, servants, and to have all the toys and luxuries you want...but is that good for the environment? Is it good for those who might have to starve so you can have all that? Is it good for you to never have to work for things or do without? And you can wish for a person to be yours...but what if you aren't so good for them? I really do wish ;) that people who asked such questions of the tarot would take a little more time to consider if getting what they want really would be a good thing not just for them, but for others.

BlueSun

Hello! I'm just wondering if you have an update about the answer for your wish. It may be too early yet to tell, but will hope that you will keep us updated. It is neat to see what the card actually means in different situations.

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil

Still too soon to tell. Will definitely let you all know the results when I know!

BlueSun

.... says a few of the books written well after I started reading Tarot.

Look at the image, really look.

You have to ask: even if the card is always "a wish fulfilled" to YOU as an individual reader: is having this wish fulfilled going to be good for you or bad for you? (Even wishing a certain person to fall in love with you can be a bad thing if you get it and then they change or you discover things you don't like about them).

I am still relatively new at tarot card reading. But are we supposed to scrutinize the cards so closely? I thought we're supposed to go with the gut intuitive feeling we first feel when we see the cards.

BlueSun

Justice is a difficult card to interpret--very ambiguous. What feels justified to me may not feel justified to someone else, esp. for example, in love situations.

I'd rather get some other card, good or bad; at least, that would be less ambiguous than the Justice card.

BlueSun

We don't always get what we want but we get what we need? ;)

I, myself, don't read the 9/Cups as "wish granted" meaning whatever you've wished for you'll get. I read it as the "emotional satisfaction" card. To me, the gent in the card has gotten the last cup to finish his collection. That's a small wish granted to satisfy. Not a big one. So, in answer to "Will god grant me this wish?" I feel the answer is "You will get just enough to feel satisfied..." If it's "will this person fall in love with me" then they may not fall in love...but they may see you, talk to you, and engage with you. Enough to satisfy, enough to get the ball rolling towards love...but not the whole wish granted exactly as asked.

My thread originally was a comment in response to another thread discussing yes/no questions. Many other readers' responses were that tarot cards are not good at answering yes/no questions.

I, therefore, asked that if I phrased my question this way: "Will God grant me this wish?" And if I get a card that is this obviously positive, wouldn't that clearly mean yes?

In the context of phrasing my question in this way, it certain seems to answer "yes".

Furthermore, this was one card of a three card spread, read straight. In the the further context of the other two cards, it certainly seems "yes". (In my ignorance of the forum rules, I had previously revealed the other two cards which the moderator erased. If you only knew what the other two cards were, you'd get goose bumps!)

Thirteen

If you only knew what the other two cards were, you'd get goose bumps!)
You can post the whole reading in Your Readings and post a link, in this thread, to it if you want others to see what you saw and, presumably feel what you felt. Do make sure you explain the situation, what question you asked, and how you interpreted all three cards.

BeyondtheVeil

BlueSun

Still too soon to tell. Will definitely let you all know the results when I know!

That is great! I would appreciate that as we are learning also. It helps to know an update and I look forward to it. Even if it is just talking about it then we can see what it meant if it wasn't a yes. Or maybe it is! :)

Either way... I am excited to know. Thank you for responding and being willing to update this thread for us! :heart:

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil