Sharing a deck: Would you?

Ruby Jewel

The friend in college who introduced me to tarot let me use her deck (Ancestral Path) to try out the CC. After I read from the deck, she took them back to do another. She threw gibberish, and claimed she could never get the cards to read for her again. It ended with me getting gifted the deck and buying her a new one.

So, bizarre story, dramatic college roommate, but I did watch her throw two spreads of complete nonsense after she'd been reading well enough before, before she got mad and put the cards away. The new deck read fine for her. Who knows what was really going on there because I've never heard of it before or since, and I don't think I have any special Powerz Over the Cards, but I don't feel comfortable messing with anyone's cards anymore. Not how I want to go about collecting decks ;)

That is rather humorous. Reminds me of a time I wanted to feed someone's chickens and afterwards he blamed me because they started laying brown eggs...not joking either..he was angry. Sometimes I wonder about people. Anyway, I wouldn't borrow anyone's deck either. Whatever you borrow you are responsible for. Not worth taking a chance of hard feelings that never go away.

mrpants

But I have to admit I myself have never shared a deck and to be honest, I get a little touchy if someone handles my cards. :eek:

But I wonder if any of you have ever shared a deck with someone and how that went. Or would you just never ever do that? Are there conditions involved?

I have a very small group of friends that are interested in the cards, and I have gifted decks to all of them in the past. Sometimes when we get together, we get our collections out to share, look, and occasionally read for each other. This is our kind of sharing.

As far as active co-ownership is concerned, I agree with some of the above posts regarding availability: What if you really wanted the co-op deck but couldn't access it? Energy seems less problematic; paper isn't a very good conductor. But availability and condition would be my concerns. I would probably trust my friends to properly handle the cards. It might be kinda fun actually, to get a "beater" pack for a group, and journal its adventures!

Lajila

I don't think I would like to share a deck... I feel much to protective of the decks I have and would hate to see that cards are damaged or something by anyone other than myself.
So If I would buy a shared deck I would still feel that way I think.
I know I'm very careful with my stuff (maybe to careful?) and most people not so much.

G6

I guess if it made practical sense I would, but I can't think of too many situations where it would. Perhaps if the person is a lover or a roomate and you both have groovy collections and both want access to the other persons decks? If you don't live together or sleep together it kind of seems impractical unless it's a BFF deal and you are inseperable? I'm trying to figure out what situation this arrangement would make sense and it seems like there are a few.

Morwenna

I've shared decks in the past in workshops with no problem; in fact if someone I know is holding a Tarot workshop at an upcoming conference, I offer to bring decks that people can borrow for the session. This includes my workhorses as well as less-used decks.

Co-owning a deck: that's for housemates/family members. I'd share them with children if I had any; I'd share them with my husband if he showed interest.

But I wouldn't lend them out of the house, without my presence!

magicjack

Why does a deck have to be shared? They can get their own for less than 15 bucks. Like someone said,. buy them one.

Penthasilia

I don't have an issue with it. Considering I have bought used decks from other people here and elsewhere- I don't think others handling the cards are an issue.

I guess it would depend on circumstance- but I think that is involved in sharing anything.

I have lent my decks to my kids and friends- especially the more expensive decks that they wanted to see if it was actually something they could read with and would like before going out and purchasing it themselves. Also when peeps come to visit- if they didn't bring their deck with them and we were doing tarot and tea- I lend out decks so we can all read together.

When the kids still lived with me- they were free to borrow my decks- it was a matter of setting boundaries as far as asking first, and shuffling gently and such.

As far as having a "shared" deck that goes back and forth between houses- if it was one I didn't miss or read with a ton- I wouldn't mind- might actually be a cool community building thing among friends- passing it down the line and such.

I guess I can see both sides of it- so it would just boil down to each person's personal comfort level.

nisaba

I'm not sure how you'd co-own a deck - owning it implies that it's always in your home and at your disposal at a moment's notice.

I'm entirely good with lending decks (to reliable people), and using second-hand decks. Energy is overrated: if it's *you* that is using and handling it the most, the energy is *yours*. If you like the friend you somehow co-own a deck with, how can their energy be a problem for you or yours for them?

lantana

I've actually shared a camera with someone, had that relationship go sour, and the (very expensive) camera still returned to its owner in one piece. After that I'm sure anything could survive being shared, as long as everyone is respectful.

That being said, I would personally only really share a deck with people who lived in the same area as me and that I was good friends with who also liked tarot. Maaaybe someone just learning it if I really trusted them and gave them a deck that wasn't my fave. I actually have a local friend I wouldn't mind temporarily trading with, just to experience some different decks.