Who reads Egyptian hieroglyphs?

Tarot Orat

teomat said:
The border hieroglyphics are a passage from the Book of the Dead (Barrett gives a translation in the companion book). I think (or hope) therefore that the hieroglyphs he paints in the cards themselves DO actually have a meaning related to the card.

I just arranged to get the deck on the Tarot Trading forum, so soon I'll be able to look closely at it myself! It's gorgeous, I can't wait to see it in person. My Egyptian is coming back to me since I started this thread, perhaps it'll be easier to read too! The Sphinx/Nefertari made my brain cramp...

Bernice

I unearthed my Hiroglyph Library. Wondering if this program would be of help to you? Attached are a couple of pics so that you can decide if the program is valid.

Bee :)

hmm.......2nd pic won't upload. Maybe too big?

Attachments

• hiro-lib_road.jpg
    hiro-lib_road.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 111

Tarot Orat

Bernice said:
I unearthed my Hiroglyph Library. Wondering if this program would be of help to you? Attached are a couple of pics so that you can decide if the program is valid.

hmm.......2nd pic won't upload. Maybe too big?

The first screenshot looks like it does have some useful features, the "Other Tall Narrow Signs" button suggests that it's based on Gardiner's Egyptian sign list, which is the scholarly standard. The glyphs are quite well-drawn, and that is easier than drawing the complicated ones! The hare glyph used in the verb "to be" is a real pain in the neck to draw, and as you can imagine "to be" is a fairly frequent word :)

Bernice

Here are the other two pics ... I hope! I've cropped them.

Attachments

• hiro-bee.jpg
    hiro-bee.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 104
  • hiro-sail.jpg
    hiro-sail.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 104

Tarot Orat

Bernice said:
Here are the other two pics ... I hope! I've cropped them.

Looks like it is indeed a simplified Gardiner system, which can be useful! A good index, and I would love NOT to have to draw the "to be" hare or the flying pintail duck in the [PA] bilteral when drafting a card!

Dancing Bear

Bernice said:
Hi TO,

Sesheta existed before Thoth rose to recognition/fame. Thoth 'assimilated' her attributes, along with her Temple. Yes, she was a scribe with other special duties as well.

Also, Thoth was not the orginal Moon God, he 'assimilated' that office too. In fact 90% of his attributes were assimilated (pinched) from other older gods.

Our modern take on the egyptian deities arn't truly 'historical'. This is why Dua & Hike are also in my deck along with a few other ancient/valid 'gods'. They were recognised on a daily basis for ages by the Kemet (egyptian) people.

This is why i was hugely disappointed in the Ancient egyptian deck as I find it not ancient enough.. it to me is too modern..
But i still love the images.. yet to use it though.

I would also love to see a deck of egyptian cards with ALL the Pharoahs through the ages Well most of them anyway and have them link as they would in their respective family ties.. This is the type of deck i was originally after.. but cannot find one..

The companion book for ancient egyptian, doesnt really say what the heiroglyph actually means on each card.. you have to research it yourself.. and as much as have also studied a little bit of middle egypt heiroglyph I am still far from being savvy to it all.

I will keep looking in on this htread with interest..

bernice i love your cards :) and i am off to go have a look at your egyptian site you mentioned.

Bernice

Hi DB,

Translating the Hiroglyphs into English..... I'd like a translator that does this too! But I'm afraid if there is one, I couldn't find it. Instead I browse through the hiros'/idioms etc. in various software (free) to locate the glyphs and then dicover their meaning/uses.

Have you tried this pdf, it lists the alphabet plus hiros'?

http://www.neferchichi.com/images/hieroglyphs/hierotrans.pdf

Bernice

Hello Tarot Orat,

While browsing through the Hiro Library for a Hare, I also came across the idogram for "sweet". Maybe it could be used with the "bee" for the Empress?

Also found an idogram for Upper Egypt - haven't seen one for Lower Egypt yet though.

Attachments

• sweet.jpg
    sweet.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 109
  • hare.jpg
    hare.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 108
  • upper-egypt.jpg
    upper-egypt.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 98