Question - the tetragrammaton in the 4 Worlds

Kosmoran

Each of the Four Worlds is given a letter of the Tetragrammaton. But on top of that there is correspondence that puts Yod in Chokmah, Heh in Binah, Vav in Tiphareth, and Heh(f) in Malkuth. Can anyone explain to me why is that so? I mean, why is each of the tetragrammaton letters assigned to these specific sephiroth in each world? And then, why are the court cards related to that, and what exactly does that imply?

bradford

Kosmoran said:
Each of the Four Worlds is given a letter of the Tetragrammaton. But on top of that there is correspondence that puts Yod in Chokmah, Heh in Binah, Vav in Tiphareth, and Heh(f) in Malkuth. Can anyone explain to me why is that so? I mean, why is each of the tetragrammaton letters assigned to these specific sephiroth in each world? And then, why are the court cards related to that, and what exactly does that imply?

I think some of the weakest of fits occur when we try to mix scales, like applying the scale of four worlds or elements to the scale of ten Sephiroth, or the seven or ten planets to the twelve signs of the zodiac, or the five states of change to the eight trigrams. They belong in different orders and realms. It's at best a forced fit, that may or may not have something to tell us, and that should be remembered.

EYE

if you use an "English" version where IHVH is spelt LOve then
L in Chokmah, O in Binah, V in Tiphareth, and (e) in Malkuth becomes

O L
V
e

if you put a S (spirit/serpent)
up top you get

S
O L
V
e

Kosmoran

bradford said:
I think some of the weakest of fits occur when we try to mix scales, like applying the scale of four worlds or elements to the scale of ten Sephiroth, or the seven or ten planets to the twelve signs of the zodiac, or the five states of change to the eight trigrams. They belong in different orders and realms. It's at best a forced fit, that may or may not have something to tell us, and that should be remembered.

The thing is, the Golden Dawn made correspondences between the Sephiroth and the Minor Arcana, so, I'm trying to understand WHY the court figures were attributed to the tetragrammaton in the four world according to the GD system. I can't say I totally disagree with you - however, their system is the basis for decks like the RWS or the Crowley-Harris Thot, so understanding the GD system of correspondences might help us to understand those decks better.

Kosmoran

EYE said:
if you use an "English" version where IHVH is spelt LOve then
L in Chokmah, O in Binah, V in Tiphareth, and (e) in Malkuth becomes

O L
V
e

if you put a S (spirit/serpent)
up top you get

S
O L
V
e

Wow, interesting - like "solve et coagula" in alchemy. What do you think that's supposed to mean?

Abrac

Chokmah represents the All-father and Binah the All-mother. The Kings and Queens have a similar correspondence. Tiphareth is the Son/Prince. He is the link between Chockmah/Binah and Malkuth (Daughter/Princess). Chokmah and Binah are in the purely metaphysical realm. Malkuth is completely in the physical. Tiphareth is poised in between with one foot in each world.

Papus' Tarot of the Bohemians goes into some detail on this. Also, The Golden Dawn's Book T. They're both available free online. :)

EYE

Abrac said:
Chokmah represents the All-father and Binah the All-mother. Tiphareth is the Son/Prince. He is the link between Chockmah/Binah and Malkuth (Daughter/Princess). Chokmah and Binah are in the purely metaphysical realm. Malkuth is completely in the physical. Tiphareth is poised in between with one foot in each world.

this is why viewing IHVH as LOve works in so many funny ways
L phallus
O ketis
v
Abrac said:
He is the link between Chockmah/Binah and Malkuth.
e the spiral nature of material world

Kenshin Gordon

Well, Tiphareth is the Prince, and obviously his job is to be in the "Headquarters" below the Abbys as an image of Kether, balancing all the other Sephira and ascending to the throne with the Princess(Malkuth) eventually, so that they have their own children and rule the kingdom just like their parents.