TOADies Anonymous.

FLizarraga

Hi, my name is Fliz, and I'm a full-blown TOADie..... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

journeyinghome

I had said that I wouldn't buy any decks for six months (starting 1st Jan) and then I realised it wasn't a good idea. If I say that and then buy something, I'll feel like "what the heck" and might be tempted by more. (This has happened in the past).

I've come up with a much better plan, for me anyway - I'm allowing myself one purchase between now and 1st July. Strangely, I think this is much tougher but it keeps my "want a new deck" whine in check. Another tactic is that I have noted a deck for each month in my diary that I need to work with. And this also appeals to my logical side - I don't need another deck if I haven't worked with what I've already got! Plus, I have a lot less time these days because of other things going on.

earthair

I lasted a whole 5 days on my New Year's Resolution, then I was enabled by a thread on AT :neutral:
I can't see how I can stay on AT and not buy decks. This place is like being an alcoholic in a pub.

Cocobird55

I almost broke my vow for the Wheel of Change. But I found all the cards online, read some reviews, and decided it wasn't my thing.

treelet

I received 3 decks for Christmas (Rolla Nordic, Victorian Romantic, and Daniloff 2nd Edition) which was overwhelming! Still on a personal "no-buy" but now I'm taking a serious look at my collection and trying to determine if every single deck is a readable companion, instead of merely a little art collection. Nothing against collecting art, but I have an anxious minimalist/utilitarian approach toward my possessions and the second it all begins to feel like "too much" I get the urge to purge. Here is to Month 2 for me and the encouragement necessary to get to really get to know each of my decks. :D

Rosewater

... I began to clean via the "Life Changing Magic of Tiding Up" book I was reading and my collection took a huge turn. In holding each deck and asking if it sparked joy in me (After doing 3/4 of the rest of the house one gets to know the true spark' which is why one does this thing in a certain order.) I found that over 2/3 of my collecting didn't. I had decks because "That's an example of xyz deck", "This deck will be worth money some day","Oh this deck is really rare", "This one was a great idea for a deck I love it", but they didn't spark joy.

Now I am in the process of moving once again and now I have 2 small boxes of decks that are so precious to me that it's like protecting kittens. I can now close my eyes and reach out and every single deck I would grab would be a deck that I truly and deeply love. What this also does is that adding a new deck means that the new deck has to meet with the same criteria. My collection went down well over 100+ decks and now it's a better collection for it. I can't even begin to say how life chaining it was. So this year I WILL add decks but most likely I will add less then 5 and that's ok so long as they spark joy.

Thanks, Starlightexp, this is a great idea. I don't have quite so many decks yet but have definite TOADie urges. I'll apply the 'spark joy' test to any future intending purchases.

G6

In the grand scheme of things I tell myself it's a small indulgence, but I do fear it speaks to larger concerns.

EmpyreanKnight

I think this must be pursued strategically. If you decide to stop collecting cold turkey, then the withdrawal symptoms might get worse, and it might even be counter-productive. I suggest something like limiting myself to only 12 deck purchases next year. Yep, one for each month of the year, much better than the one every three days which is what Ive gone through since mid-September till the end of last year. Baby steps, right? I've already filled up slots 1 to 8, so I still have 4 more slots for 2016. Only thing is, I think all those 8 decks will get here before February ends . . .

I guess 16 decks is more realistic?

ldiddy

I think this must be pursued strategically. If you decide to stop collecting cold turkey, then the withdrawal symptoms might get worse, and it might even be counter-productive. I suggest something like limiting myself to only 12 deck purchases next year. Yep, one for each month of the year, much better than the one every three days which is what Ive gone through since mid-September till the end of last year. Baby steps, right? I've already filled up slots 1 to 8, so I still have 4 more slots for 2016. Only thing is, I think all those 8 decks will get here before February ends . . .

I must admit cold turkey did not last long for me, and having Christmas to buy for others was a good time. However, now that that has passed, my control has waned again. Including a Kickstarter which won't be in til later this year. I've bought three. Nine decks left seems like a great number.

Good idea!

ldiddy

I must admit cold turkey did not last long for me, and having Christmas to buy for others was a good time. However, now that that has passed, my control has waned again. Including a Kickstarter which won't be in til later this year, I've bought three. Nine decks left seems like a great number.

Good idea!