Legend: Two of Shields, Castle Pendragon

Sophie-David

In the Legend Two of Shields, the attempt to balance a project's priorities has resulted in an amusing failure. Uther has built a moat around his Castle Pendragon, but cannot manage to it fill with water. As he looks down from the bridge which passes over to the impressive towers of his new castle, all that he sees in the moat are a few insignificant puddles. But although of limited use for defence, the empty moat has become a rather attractive rock garden, and the golden leaves of the nearby trees have filled it with their priceless riches. In any project, no matter how one tries to organize and plan, perfection can never be achieved. Compromises are always required, and humour is often the best response to the frustrations which inevitably arise.

WalesWoman

This is a card of irony... the best laid plans of mice and men are surely doomed to fail... something like that.

I don't know why, but when I see this card I think of meeting things or someone halfway... bridging a gap, sort of neither here nor there but somewhere inbetween. I have no idea why... is just something that comes to my mind before Arthur's puddle. LOL

No wonder it is sort of a feel good card, it does make you laugh to think about it... unless of course your world is depending on the quality of your defenses.

Leo62

WalesWoman said:
I don't know why, but when I see this card I think of meeting things or someone halfway... bridging a gap, sort of neither here nor there but somewhere inbetween.

I like that idea. I see this as the "project management" card - the moment in any complex undertaking when everything is going wrong and it all seems to be on the brink of falling apart. This is the time that demands all of our creative resources; how can we respond to this unseen adversity and salvage the project? Necessity is the mother of invention, as the cliche goes.

I like the fact that the two men are together on the bridge, talking. Problem-solving or brainstorming perhaps. How does one bridge a gap that seems impossible? By thinking about it differently, looking at things from a different angle, examining how limitations can be turned to one's advantage.

Sophie-David

Yes, I also like these images of the bridge as a point of balance, a reconciliation between two sides, and good place for a brainstorming session. It wouldn't be the only castle with a dry moat, since they also have their advantages, restricting the enemies movements and preventing a hit and run attack - and no paddling up to the walls!