Starting my Oracle journey!

Shushu

So basically after asking people here and managing to choose two decks...I went out and ended up buying three! ;)
Isis Oracle, Wisdom of the Oracle and Wisdom of the Hidden Realms.
I love the Isis Oracle for its overwhelming art, though I still struggle with the meanings I am working through it slowly. The Wisdom of the Oracle is so light and whimsical, I understand its messages much easier. The Wisdom of the Hidden Realms is so characteristic and easy to grasp due to the keywords though I still have yet to connect them with the images a little more.

So how did people here get involved with the Oracle cards and what steps did they take to practise? I am still studying Advanced Tarot alongside so I don't want to overwhelm myself too much and take it slow.
Do people usually follow the guidebooks or just use pure intuition? How did you try and memorise the meanings, if so?

Shushu

Bumpity bump ;)

andromedastarseed

So basically after asking people here and managing to choose two decks...I went out and ended up buying three! ;)
Isis Oracle, Wisdom of the Oracle and Wisdom of the Hidden Realms.
I love the Isis Oracle for its overwhelming art, though I still struggle with the meanings I am working through it slowly. The Wisdom of the Oracle is so light and whimsical, I understand its messages much easier. The Wisdom of the Hidden Realms is so characteristic and easy to grasp due to the keywords though I still have yet to connect them with the images a little more.

So how did people here get involved with the Oracle cards and what steps did they take to practise? I am still studying Advanced Tarot alongside so I don't want to overwhelm myself too much and take it slow.
Do people usually follow the guidebooks or just use pure intuition? How did you try and memorise the meanings, if so?

It's a little of both. I have the Wisdom of the Oracle App, and I am liking it. And I have the physical cards for hidden realms

Oracle cards have whatever energy the person who created them channeled and wanted for them. Like the Wisdom of the Oracle are a mix of tarot, I Ching, and runes. She put all these aspects in the cards. BTW, if you look at each card, there's a hidden face on them.

Take it slow, look at the cards and see what the mean to you. There's multiple meanings behind the card.

I got into oracle cards because I saw a deck in the store and thought it was so pretty I had to take it home. That was messages from your Angels by Doreen virtue. I haven't looked back since and now have 15+ decks

Shushu

Thank you so much for replying, andromedastarseed :)

I did sense the energies through the art style of the decks and fell in love with them straight away! I noticed the combination in that deck, and the hidden face, as I practise runes myself as well.

I have been looking at them merely or of curiosity. Did you check the guidebooks often or read the whole book? How long did it take for you to 'feel comfortable' reading the decks? You have so many and I wonder how people manage them all! I only have four RWS style decks, all very similar, and these three new oracle decks.

andromedastarseed

When I first get the deck I go through the guidebook, then when I get the card I look at it and use my intuition. Then I look at the guidebook again.

andromedastarseed

Everybody is different and every deck is different. I've been trying to connect with RWS tarot cards for years and haven't done it yet. Oracle cards were a lot easier to me. They seemed "friendlier", or at least meshed better with my personality.

I've also taken on-line classes with some card creators, so that helped me get to know the cards better and feel more comfortable. Maybe it's my lab background, but knowing the theory behind the cards helped me learn them better.

Shushu

I see! I might try that approach myself. Thank you very much for your advice!

How long does it usually take you to become completely familiar with an oracle deck? I've been combining one Oracle card as further guidance to my Tarot readings but I wonder if I am doing that too early?

andromedastarseed

The only way you'll get comfortable with the cards is to use them. As to how long that'll take is up to you. If you have a lot of patience and motivation, it won't take long. If you're like me and have the attention span of a gnat, it'll take longer. Squirrel!

Shushu

I see! Have you ever learned a deck in a week?
I always find the impulse to buy decks so strong and curious and then there's learning them, haha which definitely is a bit harder.

andromedastarseed

No, I've never leaned a deck in a week. I can't sit that long.