Making my own oracle deck

page of wands

I've been thinking of trying to make one using unwanted game cards (Magic the Gathering and the like).

That's a good idea too or you could get some sort of flash cards from the dollar store.

euripides

That's a good idea too or you could get some sort of flash cards from the dollar store.

I have a box of index cards, there's that sort of thing... also they sell those journalling cards now, in the craft shop, for a particular brand of photo album. But I like the idea of using the existing art - some of them have really interesting quotes and sayings, too.

Another idea is to use an old novel, cut a section of text, and colour in the text you don't want. http://www.tomphillips.co.uk/works/editions/item/5532-ulysses-proteus

Mythtaken

Another thought I've had about this kind of thing, is to use clear plastic card sleeves to protect whatever cards you make. They come entirely clear, or with colored/decorated backs (so you could use them to unify a grouping of otherwise unrelated pre-printed cards)

They make them to protect collectible cards, and in different sizes/thicknesses.

I've been meaning to check out the offerings at the stores in my area that sell these kinds of collectible cards, but haven't had the time just yet.

reall

oh! just to say I luv all ideas mentioned here!:)) lolz
and here is link for book I did for my oracle http://fav.me/d9sqzk0 there is creation section so hopefully it can give you some ideas?:)) (not that there is need with all mentioned on this topic!^^lolz ;))

EmpyreanKnight

I have always though of creating my own Tarot deck, but what with my busy career and an active social life and with my unpolished artistic skills (ahem), I know this would be a tall order. From conceptualization to execution I know it would require tons of time, so while it's in my bucket list, it's a bit near the end. It might seem overly ambitious, but it's staying there. As they say: if you're gonna dream anyway, you might as well dream big. It's free after all.

But a personal oracle - hmmmm that seems very much doable. Just half the cards of a Tarot deck and not needing to bind oneself to any particular system- it is very intriguing and feasible. Now, ideas are swirling all over my dreamy head. Thanks for suggesting this nugget, page of wands. :)

Onaorkal

I've been thinking of trying to make one using unwanted game cards (Magic the Gathering and the like).

I want to do something like that, but with Naruto collectible game cards. There are so many cards with interesting quotes, characters and messages. Perfect for an oracle! I wanted to create a tarot out of it but I think that might be much more difficult mmh! So oracle it's going to be!

I'm still wondering how to organize it though! So many possibilities!

blueeyetea

Elise of Wild Moon Woman on youtube has a video where she used pictures from the internet to which she added words, and had them printed into a personal deck. The cost was very reasonable.

There's also a book called Soulcollage that goes into creating cards with magazine cutouts around certain themes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

euripides

I'm still wondering how to organize it though! So many possibilities!

One way might be to create some categories or tags to associate with cards. Maybe make a spreadsheet with the card titles and a bunch of columns with keywords? That way you could see whether you've covered topic matter evenly.

So something like - positive/neutral/negative; earth/fire/air/water; thought, feeling, action; spiritual/intellectual/emotional/social

giving/taking,
honesty/deceit,
warmth/coldness,
beginning, developing, mastering, teaching.
worker, leader, spirit guide, comforter, nurturer, fighter, thinker, searcher

You could look at a list of cards of a particular oracle and draw ideas from their system.

Onaorkal

One way might be to create some categories or tags to associate with cards. Maybe make a spreadsheet with the card titles and a bunch of columns with keywords? That way you could see whether you've covered topic matter evenly.

So something like - positive/neutral/negative; earth/fire/air/water; thought, feeling, action; spiritual/intellectual/emotional/social

giving/taking,
honesty/deceit,
warmth/coldness,
beginning, developing, mastering, teaching.
worker, leader, spirit guide, comforter, nurturer, fighter, thinker, searcher

You could look at a list of cards of a particular oracle and draw ideas from their system.

Yes I did exactly that! It was an interesting exercise and I'm gonna keep the info I got for future references, but in the end I decided to go back to my first idea and do a tarot deck.
There were too many specific cards and characters that made me think of tarot archetypes that I couldn't help it.
It's probably a bit more work but way more doable than I was afraid it would be!