Tarot Classic....a good 1st deck?

jmd

ps - if you would like to also compare two different versions of the Schaffhouse, I included cards from two different decks for three readings I once did here on AT - they can be seen on my http://www.fourhares.com/tarot/dynHexSpread.html page, at the bottom.

It's quite interesting to note some of the subtle (and not so subtle) differences.

Le Fanu

I have just received my Tarot Classic from amazon. It is one of the few 70s boom decks which I didnt have, so I thought it was time I ordered it, and was pleased that I received the edition with the swirly 70s font on the box.

However, I was hugely disappointed with the cards stock. I really thought I was going to get a good old-fashioned sturdy deck, but the one I have is so flimsy, it´s terrible. I see from the box it is dated 1974, but has "reissued", so it´s obviously a recent edition. I find more and more that cardstock is becoming of prime importance to me. The deck is lovely (it has that great "Jewish exeecution" Hanged Man that is in the Svizzero marseilles), but will I overcome the flimsiness of the cardstock? Maybe thinner cards are easier to shuffle with? (trying to convince myself here!!)...but to be honest, I always find that cards (IMO) can never be too thick...

I find myself grumbling and moaning about things aren´t as they used to be....;)

uwe

I too love the Tarot Classic. I have an early deck from the seventies. My deck smells like an old bookshop, and i love that. I also love the cardstock. I obviously used this deck heavily but it made no difference to the cards. The cardstock must be of superior quality as it shows very little wear. I would trade or sell many cards in my collection 'eventually', but this one is a keeper.

Le Fanu

Tell me (you or anybody...) is your Tarot Classic noticably thin and flimsy? Im just curious. Or does it feel quite cardboard-y? :) If it´s thin and flimsy but stands up well to use that´s ok...

6 Haunted Days

Mis is from the 70's so the cardstock is excellent! I love it, very substantial.

Abrac

I bought one new from Amazon about a year ago and I couldn't tell much difference in the card stock from an older one I have. But they could have done a newer printing since then with thinner stock. I've noticed a lot of decks getting thinner lately. It probably saves trees, but it's just not the same.

uwe

Le Fanu...the cardstock on mine is very good indeed. Not at all flimsy, thin or indeed cardboard-y. The lamination is just perfect. You could use this deck for years without ruining a single card. Also i love the physical size of this deck. It shuffles so easily.

MareSaturni

Hi 6 :D

So good to see you here! Welcome!!!

I too was thinking of getting Tarot Classic, but the only one i find here is the one in which The Magician wears a pink & yellow outfit o_O

Yours look so much prettier.

Welcome, i'm happy that you have decided to participate of the Marseilles forum! \o/

Freddie

Here is that 'Tarot Classic' Magician.

http://tarot.com/tarot/decks/index.php?deckID=65&cardID=1

oh horrible English titles, wild colouring, rustic art.....WHO CARES?????????????? I LOVE IT!!!!!

The best deck ever made in my humble opinion.

I do remember a vintage pack I saw with IM or IN written on the Chariot, other then that it looks the same to me.

Freddie