Caitlin Matthews - 'The Complete Lenormand Oracle Handbook'

Ira

I had high expectations for this one. I'm about a third of the way through it at the moment, a bit past the card meanings and starting into the practical instruction. I have the same reservations that Lee did regarding some of the off-beat card associations. I also had this problem with Sylvie Steinbach's book, but at least Sylvie was very clear that much of her keyword material was based on her own intuitive, psychic impressions and not on the tradition (which, frankly, she seemed to scoff at). I found the "parts of speech" segments for each card especially troubling because they often struck me as incoherent, kind of a mish-mash or scramble of strained connections and grammatical anomalies. As a professional technical and legal writer with 30+ years of experience, I became a stickler for just the right word in any situation, and much of this material leaves me unconvinced; too much straining for relevance and too many lapses in style. On the bright side, the practical guidance seems balanced and sensible so far; I'll have to see if that holds up throughout. The production values are undeniably superb as well. On the strength of it's writing alone, and on its conversational, anecdotal tone, I'll take Rana's book over Caitlin's for now, and Andy's for it's conceptual clarity and careful scholarship. Those two I will definitely re-read and refer to frequently, The Complete Lenormand Oracle Handbook, probably not - at least not on the evidence of first impressions. But I will know better after I finish it.

Thanks! I don't have Rana's either. It's either: I buy both or just, wait it out. I'll look into Andy's one too.

Sar

Just thought I'd mention that I came across a listing of a book to be published soon by Caitlin Matthews - 'The Complete Lenormand Oracle Handbook'. Anyone else know about this?

I have it, but I use Ranas book for now.

Village Witch

I love Caitlin's book. It has a permanent place on my coffee table as I refer to it often. I am glad, though, that I purchased Rana George's book first. Caitlin's book contains a wealth of information, that for me might have been a bit overwhelming had I not been exposed to the simpler teachings of Lenormand that Rana gives. Rana teaches her own style of reading, while Caitlin gives a broad spectrum of reading styles and techniques.

Has anyone interpreted the two spreads on the front cover of Caitlin's book? I can't give my interpretations as I stumbled across the intended messages in the front of the book.