King of Cups and Hierophant

Thirteen

So more possibly like Pastor at a church? Or some organization/community where it was ran and or govered with love and empathy than by say a group that felt they would have to repress their emotions bc of said structure.
It's not just (or all) about emotions in this comparison. Quick note here: it is a typical misunderstanding that the other suits lack emotions--Swords are anxieties/harmony, Wands passion/temper and Pents grounded/shame; Cups are the emotions that make you smile or tear-up, the mushy emotions which, at their highest, lead to joy, and at their lowest depression. So, your King/Swords isn't unemotional--when he sees a beautiful balance, as in science or art, he gets that wonderful feeling we all have, now and then, of discovering the larger universe outside ourselves.

Back to King/Cups & Hierophant: Cups aren't just emotions. They are also spirituality. Like the emotions, they're the "softer" sprituality of, say, heartfelt prayer. This as compared to the passionate spirituality (preacher type) of Wands, or the practial spirituality of rituals (Pents) or the theological debates of Swords. Which is to say, yes, as the Knight/Cups can sometimes be on a spiritual quest as much as a quest for love (love of the divine), so the King/Cups can be one who has found such love. As a King, he would see it as his destiny to share it and use it to guide his family/people. This connects him to the Hierohant who feels a similar motivation. Both can be spiritual leaders in that father figure/teacher/guide mode.

And both, it should be noted, can (in the negative) feel they know what's best for others and not be willing to let others find their own way via their own path/mistakes. :)

FemaleRonin

You said it better than I could've!

Apologize for the delay in responding to your post Thirteen but I couldn't agree more. You seemed to know more of what I was trying to spit out but couldn't exactly think of the right way to put it, so thank you! I also couldn't agree more with your cup/emotions stand point as well. I was initially trying to respond to another posters response about repressing emotions and how I felt it was more in the opposite end of that spectrum for my interpretation of this pair but when I see this combo together emotions aren't the first thing that come to mind, more of a balanced approach in my initial reaction, and not just emotions but on a general level. I really try not to see each suit as just their element and or most known for trait (I'm lacking again in words today, but hopefully you know what I mean. Such as Pents get the rap for many to see it and instantly think: Money or Material gains, when it's more than that and sometimes not even about that. I digress, but my point being I couldn't agree more and thank you for enlightening me and helping me understand not only this pair but my own interpretation of it in a more understanding way.

New to posting here but come on here often for guidance and clarification an your posts and responses are my favorite to read and look forward to so I'm honored and excited to have you read and respond to one of my responses. Like meeting a celebrity :surprise:

EDITED: I realized I might have sounded like I contradicted myself from what I originally posted about my reaction initially to this pair, and though I stated a loving understanding leader, what I really should've put and thought of a better way to word my thoughts at the time was balance, and not just coming from a place of just viewing the K Cups as more emotional based on his suit. Although I do still agree he is loving and those traits, I just see balance more than overly emotional, especially now that I read Thirteens opinion on the matter

Thirteen

:) Pleased to help. Yes, the King/Cups is never "overly" emotional. But he's certainly not afraid to be emotional. I often see him as the "father of the bride" type. Smiling and dabbing at tears as his daughter gets married. He's not one of those men who hide what they're feeling, but, as a master of emotions, he doesn't lose control of them either.

And very like the Hierophant, he's a "patriarch" figure, involved in his kids lives no matter how old they get, no matter if they've families of their own. Likewise, the Hierophant is always part of the lives of his disciples and congregants. That's part of the negative of both of these cards, that they indicate a man/woman who has a hard time letting go of their "children. They may not be able to see those children as equals or adults who may know what's best for themselves and not need to be told what's best by their father/spiritual director. But on the positive side, these cards indicate a leader who is always there for their family/congregation. They are the keystone of the arch, holding it up, guiding, supporting, etc—and, at their most positive, doing so quite selflessly. They want what is best for each member as well as what is best for the whole family/congregation. In that way, these two cards indicate very similar patriarchs.