Rider-Waite Symbolism

SilverWolf

Ok, I'm studying the Rider-Waite Tarot, and I'm reading The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by AE Waite. However, something is bothering me, he uses a good deal of Christian terminology. Would it be wrong of me to substitute some of hte terminology that he uses when talking about the symbology of the tarot cards with terminology that I'm more comfortable with, ie the gods, instead of God.

Shaymus

Yes, by all means.

Also, there are many other books using the RWS and its symbology. I found that the A. Waite's book (Pictorial Key) was less than helpful, when compared to other books out there.

Have fun, and it is an amazing journey.

Shaymus

Abrac

I don't think it would be wrong necessarily, but speaking for myself I prefer to know and understand where an author is coming from whether or not I agree, but that's just me. If you are uncomfortable with Waite's perspective, just put the book away and use the deck intuitively. :)

Grizabella

Although some of our members frown on books, I strongly recommend 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card by Mary Greer and Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack. Both will help you to find your own meanings to cards. Especially Mary Greer's book, but Tarot Wisdom is very good, too. I also strongly recommend The 2 Hour Tarot Tutor. I think it's still in print, but if not, I've seen several from used vendors on Amazon, some at a penny which means, with shipping, you'll only be paying $4.

The crowned one

The "Pictorial Key" is a strange piece of writing. Part ego, idea's, teaching, and hints. I used Alfred Douglas's "the tarot" and Paul Foster Case's book"The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages" for most of my early self teaching of the Waite/Smith deck. I feel they were real helpful at the time.

Jyscal

Ive also tried to use The Pictorial key, and where in some places it has a few good points, overall i found it a nightmare to use. Lately, im using one the rachel pollack books and the forum for whats not in those books.

Teheuti

The crowned one said:
I used Alfred Douglas's "the tarot" and Paul Foster Case's book"The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages" for most of my early self teaching of the Waite/Smith deck. I feel they were real helpful at the time.
I agree about both of these books - which were early guides for me, too. PKT is an important work that I suggest reading and then coming back to years later when you'll probably be able to see so much that you missed the first time.

SunChariot

SilverWolf said:
Ok, I'm studying the Rider-Waite Tarot, and I'm reading The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by AE Waite. However, something is bothering me, he uses a good deal of Christian terminology. Would it be wrong of me to substitute some of hte terminology that he uses when talking about the symbology of the tarot cards with terminology that I'm more comfortable with, ie the gods, instead of God.

You are always free to see whatever you want to in the symbolism of any card in any deck. Any meanings you find in books for card meanings or symbolism meanings are just hints at best. As the potential number of meanings in a reading is almost unlimited.

I personally am a big fan of feeling inside myself what something symbolizes, I don't like being told what something is supposed to mean, even if it's a by the author of the deck. I truly just prefer to sense inside myself what something is telling me. And to let that be something different each time as it usually is.

Babs

MoonGypsy

Babs, hon, that was soooo well said! :* i agree 100 percent!:love:

Rosanne

SunChariot said:
You are always free to see whatever you want to in the symbolism of any card in any deck.
Babs
I find this a very odd statement.
Of course you are free to see whatever you want in a symbol- that does not mean symbols can mean anything you want them to mean.
Although the full explanation of a symbol cannot be captured within the bounds of a written word/s- there is a traditional way of explaining many symbols that is almost an International language on it's own. Of course how you apply that symbolic language within the reading is limitless. A Hand is a symbol- but it clenched into a fist does not mean the same as an palm up open hand. If an Owl was on the Fool card would you think foolishness? I think you need to have a working understanding of Tarot symbols.
~Rosanne