What books do we each have?

SunChariot

Requiella said:
What did you think of The Forest of Souls? I've read Seventy-Eight Degrees and I love Pollack's style. Does FoS offer a lot that is new?

Personally, I love the book, Forest of Souls. But having never read Seventy-Eight Degrees (although I hope to one day) I have no basis of comparison.
Hope someone else can answer that for you:)

Bar

Requiella

Thanks :) I highly recommend Seventy-Eight Degrees, as it is one of the old standards--some would say *the* old standard--in learning tarot. The great thing about Pollack, as you probably (?) know from the other book, is that she goes into quite a bit of complexity and depth. I'd consider this a "must have" for any tarot enthusiast.

cormac

i'm new so i only have two :)

'tarot basics' by evelin burger and johannes fiebig
'the little black book of tarrot' by nannette stone

i like both so far and really like the 'black book' since it is undersized, very easy to carry, and has a nice spiral binding so it lays down flat without holding it -- very convenient ;)

i'm going to move on to the '78 degrees' since i've seen it mentioned here and other places as a 'classic' :)

BlueLotus

I read bits of chapters from Living The Tarot just before I retire in the evening, and I am amazed at the sincerity of the author, and at times I feel so emotional, I want to cry. I also own her other book Tarot for Dummies, but it is not quite the same.

Although LTT has not received much praise, either because it uses the BOTA deck, or for other reasons, for me, it is a great one to muse on the major arcana, even though I do not own the BOTA deck. The students' stories are the best, but also her own sincere experiences, and her dividing each card into four stages, namely, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and wisdom. There are also upright and reverse meanings for the cards.

I recommend this book for anyone who wants to really learn about the whole picture, using the major arcana. It has become one of my favorites, if not my favorite at the moment.

jadecat

A few questions for everyone - who, if anyone, has more books than decks? Which of your books is your favorite?

My booklist includes:
Braden, Tarot for Self-Discovery (my latest purchase)
Bunning, Learning the Tarot
Giles, The Tarot: History, Mystery, and Lore (my first purchase)
Giles, Methods, Mastery, and More
Gray, A Complete Guide to the Tarot
Greer, Tarot for Yourself
Jayanti, Tarot for Dummies
Jette, Tarot for All Seasons
Moura, Tarot for the Green Witch
Pollack, The Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot
Pollack, Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom
Renee, Tarot for a New Generation
Renee, Tarot Spells
Waite, Pictorial Key to the Tarot

Also in my collection are numerous books which came with, or pertain to, a specific deck. Currently I'm reading Tarot for Self Discovery.

Jadecat

Emeraldgirl

Aside from the LWB and companion books (Including the Book of Toth in this lot) the books I have are:

Aoumeil, Tarot for the Green Witch
Burger/Fiebig, Complete book of tarot spreads
Rosengarten, Tarot & Psychology - Sprectums of possibility
Greer, Complete Book of Tarot Reversals
Greer, Understanding The Tarot Court
O'Neil, Tarot Symbolism
Pollack, The Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot
Renee, Tarot Spells

cormac

let me ask then of the books all of you have, which 2 or 3 do (did) you find most helpful? :)

Emeraldgirl

For me it's probably the following 2:

Greer, Complete Book of Tarot Reversals

Greywoolfe

I'm only a novice to the tarot, so my actual tarot library is quite small- it consists of only two books! (Soon to be added to, hopefully...) They are..

Tarot For Dummies, by Amber Jayanti- currently reading this one, and enjoying it much!

Step- By- Step Tarot, by Terry Donaldson- some great suggestions here, such as creating your own tarot workbook, meditative exercises and so on- hoping to read this in greater detail next!

Other books on esoteric subjects I have, are..

The Secret Doctrine (Volumes I and II)- H.P. Blavatsky.

The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail, by Michael Baigent, Henry Lincoln and Richard Leigh.

The Messianic Legacy, by Michael Baigent, Henry Lincoln and Richard Leigh.

The Hiram Key, by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas.

As I said, an esoteric library in it's early stages, but I hope to expand it greatly as time goes by...

:T2C

BlueLotus

I have just added the following books to my collection*
  • Putting The Tarot to Work - Mark McElroy
  • Tarot in Ten Minutes - R.T.Kaser
  • The Encyclopedia of Tarot, vol.IV - Kaplan, Stuart
  • The Smart Girl's Guide to Tarot- Fredericks, Emmi
*My Complete List of Books - Last Post