On-Line Courses - have you taken one?

ldiddy

I'm considering registering for an on-line tarot correspondence course and was wondering if anyone here can provide feedback on either Biddy Tarot TF1 or the Readers Studio Degree course. It's not that I don't trust the testimonials on their respective websites, but they don't share any perspectives with less than glowing feedback, so I guess that's what I'm looking for here.

They seem pretty similar. Both offer written lessons. Biddy has videos, RS has mp3 audio courses.... Both provide a certificate of completion/degree (neither of which I expect has much real world value, but I could be wrong). If you factor both the Biddy Modules, the cost is about the same ($100 cheaper for Biddy).

I'm leaning toward the Reader's Studio option because it looks more in depth and includes some personal coaching.

Curious as to experiences with these courses from my real world, message board, AT friends ;)

violetdaisy

I like biddy but it's really pushy. Like she encourages your development, but wants you to to use her as your main reference - link back to her site etc. And she wants you to be purely intuitive - but leaning towards her version. Sometimes I learn something from her blogs/podcasts ...but her emails really suggest you buy her method. I don't have any experience with the other.

ldiddy

Good point about Biddy and the intuitive nature of her teaching (at least the handful of free introductory lessons I tried). As much as I love tarot, intuition is not my strong point, though I'm obviously working on continuing to develop it.

Ace of Stars

I've taken a couple of audio classes with Wald and Ruth Anne Amberstone from the Tarot School and enjoyed them immensely. I think they find a good balance between making sure the lesson is clear, but pushing students to really learn. This isn't specifically for their correspondence school though; I took the Kabbalah course. I liked that Wald didn't "dumb it down" but still taught it well. I also think their passion for tarot comes through in what they do -- like they are doing it because they love it and want to share it above all else -- that's the sense I get anyway.

biddy9

VioletDaisy: "she encourages your development, but wants you to to use her as your main reference - link back to her site etc. And she wants you to be purely intuitive - but leaning towards her version."

Hmm, not quite! I strongly encourage our students to create their own connection with the Tarot cards, using the intuitive techniques I teach in our programs. I also encourage students to create new meanings that are relevant to them, rather than simply following the interpretations I have created for the cards.

In terms of linking, the only time I ask for a link back to my site is if you quote my Tarot card meanings word-for-word. I think you'll find this is quite common across all website publishers.

Thanks! Brigit

cybercat

You might want to look up ITF International Tarot Foundation. They are way cheaper and have one on one mentoring included in price. I have taken a few courses from all mentioned and ITF is the best bang for your money.
A years membership gets you Extra free classes online too which are really something. They also do a payment plan for their certificate courses. Groups on Facebook are open to all so you get a feel of what there about. But that group is just one tiny coin of a much bigger treasure.

Rallwedd

Online Courses

I'm presently looking at the courses offered by the Tarosophy Tarot Association - they have a 10-hour video course as part of their membership, which had a lot of unique stuff I'd not seen anywhere else and was really practical.

They also have a massive two-year course which has 100 hours of video - I didn't realise there was so much to tarot! Their diploma course is taught by Kim Huggens, and I have her Tarot book which is interesting. All their stuff seems really well researched and respected.

There's a big choice of courses on their site and I'm still trying to decide, but I've seen enough on their members-only material to know they know what they're doing.

R.A.