The Rings - a full-deck, two year old spread

Ranna

A project from two years ago. I designed this spread a while back, and have yet to have enough time or energy in one sitting to see a complete reading through to the end, so I'm going to do the humane thing and release it to the public. In all its untested and overwrought glory, here is The Rings, from way back in 2006:

http://makyo.drab-makyo.com/3rings.html

rwcarter

Ranna,

Other than welcome to AT, the only things I can say are "WOW!" and "Thanks for sharing!" It's going to take me some time to read through and try to understand all of that. I'm intrigued by whole deck spreads and yours is only the second one that I've found.

Two points though. 2 - 5 hours to do this spread? Yeah. Right. Knowing me, it'll be more like 2 - 5 days! :laugh:

And 3 feet x 5 feet of space? With two dogs in the house, that's not likely unless I use the dining room table and even that's probably not big enough. Guess I'll just have to use the floor in the study and not allow them in until I've finished the spread.

Rodney

Ranna

Thank you very much for your input, rwcarter - it really means rather a lot to me. I lost this spread waaaay back, and only found a print out last night, so I spent today retyping everything.

As for space, I know how it goes. The closest I ever got to completing a reading of this, after about three hours spread over as many days (I get tense and jittery after about an hour of reading), I found that I had to take a picture of the spread with a digital camera and zoom in on the cards, reading on my computer screen. Even so, I only got through the first two rings, and only a very shallow reading at that. I might have to revise that time estimate, particularly for a reading of any depth!

rwcarter

Ranna,

Just got through reading the whole webpage and description of The Rings. I don't see any reason why the spread wouldn't work or any obvious gotchas in the way it's laid out.

Something that might help cut down the time in interpreting the spread is to read everything as elemental triads that can be read that way. So just looking at the ring of the Past and looking at the card numbers instead of the grid positions, one could look at 5-2-8, 52-49-46, 46-76-73, 25-28-31, 43-40-37, 58-62-64, 70-67-64 and 16-13-19. And of course one would also look at the transition cards and the Weak Order cards.

Doing it this way wouldn't give as in-depth a picture as interpreting most of those cards individually, but it should dramatically cut down on the time it takes to interpret the spread and therefore dramatically increase the likelihood that the spread gets fully interpreted! :laugh:

I'm on vacation in three weeks, so maybe I'll get a chance to test drive it then.

Thanks again for sharing it.

Rodney

Sinduction

I only just saw this now and WOW! I've been searching for a spread like this. Thank you so much!! :D :D :D

I'm going to need to buy a bigger table....

Bernice

What about using a mini-deck? A full 78 card layout fits on my dining room table.

Bee :)

ana luisa

Thank you for sharing!! This spread looks like a giant embroidery: beautiful!! And the work you must have put into it!! I will try it as soon as I can. On the floor, too :)