How do you select your cards?

Farzon

It depends on the deck and my mood. If I don't feel like shuffling much and the cardstock allows it, I shuffle a few times with an undulating shuffle (basically am overhand shuffle, alternating dealing the cards to the top and the bottom of the new stack) fan them out and pull my cards at random.

If the deck doesn't allow to be fanned out, I'll deal the whole deck in nine stacks in a random order and do a few undulating shuffles to relax my mind. Then I'll cut once and deal off the top.

Or I'll shuffle as above and separate the deck into a few stacks - a few more than the number of cards I'll need. Then I will take the cards from the top of these stacks.

Anyway, I like to change my methods from every now and then. It reminds me that Tarot always works as long as we allow it to. [emoji4]

Marcus R

When I'm reading for myself at home, I always overhand shuffle a couple of times to start, split the deck into little stacks and riffle them together, any jumpers (max of 2 per jump, face up only) while over handing, I put aside. I will look at the spread first and then consider the jumpers later.
I have only turned cards to create reversals a few times over the years and just let them turn up if they want too nowadays. Once done I generally cut the deck once and deal off the top.

When reading for others, if there's time, I like to shuffle overhand at least 3 times through deck first and then have the querant shuffle how they please, cut once and return to me.

Generally if I will be reading the cards when I go out, I will shuffle them well at home before I leave.

Honeysun

I overhand shuffle them 15 times, if there are any jumpers or if I feel like it, I shuffle 5 more times. I spread out the cards in a semi-circle and hover my hand above the cards and pick the ones that attract/call me.

Trogon

I usually shuffle 3 to 5 times (depends on what feels right). I'll usually pull a 1/4 to 1/3 of the deck from somewhere in the middle, rotate it and put it on the top (or bottom, again whatever feels right at the time) one or two times between shuffles. If I'm reading for someone else, I'll let them cut or even remix the cards if they'd like. Then I just pull them from the top.

Oh, and I use a variation of a "faro shuffle". It gives me a really good mix and looks pretty cool to boot. Here's a good tutorial; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btt0BUfvh3Y

I learned to do it a little differently though ... laying the cards on the table and both my hands are on top. If you're going to learn to use the faro shuffle, I highly recommend practicing on a regular deck of cards until you're proficient. Or, at the very least, a replaceable Tarot deck. I wouldn't use it on any really old/antique decks though. If the cards aren't up to it, you can actually split the back from the front of a card.

Gaelicgirl

Thank you all for your replies, your input has been really helpful. Thanks Trogon I will try the faro shuffle, thanks for the link. I do sometimes thing I may not shuffle enough! Thanks Marcus R when there is a jumper I never know whether to keep that aside for later, I think I will now look at those too.

Astrophobos

I shuffle until the cards for the reading pop out.

This seems like a good idea, but once I did it like this the reading was a complete nonsense to me. But I might give it a try once more..

Back to OP: I shuffle my cards, cut in two and meditate with both halves in my hands and just wait for the signal which part to use. Then I shuffle that half until I just feel the shuffle is enough and pick first seven cards for the reading.

Gaelicgirl

I really like that idea Astrophobos! Honeysun, I probably only shuffle sometimes 5 or 6 times, which I feel is lacking, realistically there is no limit to the number of times you shuffle, thank you for your reply.