Sola-Busca Tarot

DeToX

Agreed! The Mayer is still important due to the fact that it's the only 78-card reproduction available. Plus, it comes in a gorgeous hand-crafted box to house the cards. :D

There is the repro on Etsy that is the full 78 cards but I'm assuming you didn't count it as it is lower in image quality. But still, Mayer edition isn't the ONLY full card deck available...

Bluefeet

There is the repro on Etsy that is the full 78 cards but I'm assuming you didn't count it as it is lower in image quality. But still, Mayer edition isn't the ONLY full card deck available...

I know there is another full reproduction by Indie Oracles printed on bridge size cards, however, that company turned out to be a fraud and cards are no longer available. The one on Etsy right now is actually a reworked deck based on Sola Busca and other old master artworks, so I don't suppose it is considered to be a reproduction. :)

I would say Mayer edition is the only faithful reproduction of the full deck by far.

frelkins

You need that Vincenza book (?) It tells you what you need to know.

My issue Le Fanu is only that the Sofie V. book is inaccurate; many people have told me that, including G. Berti. The brand new tome by Christina Dorsini is supposed to be more accurate.

BrightEye

My issue Le Fanu is only that the Sofie V. book is inaccurate; many people have told me that, including G. Berti.

Why/how is it inaccurate?

DeToX

My issue Le Fanu is only that the Sofie V. book is inaccurate; many people have told me that, including G. Berti. The brand new tome by Christina Dorsini is supposed to be more accurate.

Giordano Berti wrote the preface to that book! Are you saying it was the best that was around at the time and that although he wrote the preface, he now regrets it or is more critical of the book? I am sure Giordano can speak for himself.

Presumably the divinatory meanings of the cards are highly speculative anyway.

DeToX

I know there is another full reproduction by Indie Oracles printed on bridge size cards, however, that company turned out to be a fraud and cards are no longer available. The one on Etsy right now is actually a reworked deck based on Sola Busca and other old master artworks, so I don't suppose it is considered to be a reproduction. :)

I would say Mayer edition is the only faithful reproduction of the full deck by far.

EDIT: Ok I looked at the Indie Oracles facebook page and there were a few posts from disappointed customers who never received their decks. I assume these decks were lost in the post. Berti had a copy of their SB deck which he used in a comparison photograph, so I assume that they were honouring deck sales initially. If this is all true, then one could hazard a guess that they may have faced threats of legal action by publishers of the decks (under copyright?) they were reproducing (without permission) and simply disappeared without honouring any outstanding orders? The publisher made some excuse about her son being ill and problems with the printers but this doesn't explain why she took down her web site and did not respond to her customers. If it was fraud rather than just being AWOL for a few months (extremely poor customer service), it is pretty stupid to still leave one's FB page up. Still, the page still has over 50 likes! ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/IndieOracles

If all true, it gives independent publishers a bad name and will make people more hesitant about ordering such repro decks in the future unless they are a known quantity. I guess the same could go for k*ckstarter projects, pocket the money and fund whatever nice lifestyle they have and at the end not finish the project or perhaps even start it - but at least with k*ckstarter you know there are potential risks. This IO SB was the deck I was referring to, being available on Etsy. It was a while since I last checked Etsy.

Yeah I know the Completely Revised Sola Busca from TarotBySeven is not a facsimile reproduction, so as of right now you are correct about the Mayer edition being the only full version available. :)

DoctorArcanus

Hello Frelkins,
thank you for mentioning the Dorsini book. I had not heard of its existence yet :)
From what I understand, that book only discusses the 22 trumps, so it cannot make justice of the deck in its entirety. In my opinion, a complete explanation of the meaning of the deck has not been provided until now. In my opinion, the catalog book of the Brera exhibition ("Il segreto dei segreti", by Paola Gnaccolini et al.), however not completely satisfactory in its explanation of the pips, is the best available scholarly source about the deck. BTW, it contains good quality photographs of all the 78 cards. Unluckily, the book is only in Italian, but an English summary is available on the site of the Brera Museum:
http://images.brera.beniculturali.it//f/Documenti/so/solabusca_english2

garmonbozia

If all true, it gives independent publishers a bad name and will make people more hesitant about ordering such repro decks in the future unless they are a known quantity.

Yeah I know the Completely Revised Sola Busca from TarotBySeven is not a facsimile reproduction, so as of right now you are correct about the Mayer edition being the only full version available. :)

It's true about IndieOracles. I placed an order for three different decks and received nothing from them, nor a single response to multiple emails. Luckily, Paypal refunded me when I filed a claim. It does suck for the industry, but as long as I can pay with Paypal, it won't keep me from buying from someone else in future.

I am intrigued by the revised Sola Busca, but would need to see some comparisons of the revisions to the original images before deciding if I would be interested in it.

Does anyone have it?