The many Etteilla decks

BSwett

As I'm trying to put together a small, solid and somewhat 'complete' tarot collection, I got my hands on LoS Book of Thoth Etteilla deck, which I thought came with pictorial pips. As is always the case when I purchase anything Lo Scarabeo, I was disappointed when I opened the cards and found it was different from the images I had seen in some of my tarot books.
Later I understood that there are various versions of this deck.

As much as I like the art on this brown box deck, I want to know if this is the right Etteilla for my little collection.
Maybe someone can give me a brief explanation about these different tarots?

Peace,
B

Richard

I don't know much about the different Etteilla versions, but I like the images in the Grand Etteilla (Grimaud) better than those in the Lo Scarabeo Thoth.

mrpants

Grimaud

Unless you can get your hands on an antique version, I think the Grimaud Grand Etteila from 1977 is the best, most recent copy. I was disappointed with the new LoS deck as well, and they did another version called the Esoteric Egyptian Tarot. The latter is hand-sketched, versus the etching-type work on the Grimaud edition. It's a cool concept, but the etching style is more authentic, I think. Best of luck in your search! If you have trouble finding a Grimaud copy, and want one, PM me!

Penthasilia

Though aesthetically I like the Grand Etteilla better, the one that seems more user friendly to me is my trusty Tarot Egyptien: Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames by published by Dusserre. Which is similar to the LoS Thoth one that you have, at least picture wise. Not sure about the card stock- since I have not had that one, being happy with the Dusserre edition.

As far as "types"- there are 3 accepted ones

1. Grand Etteilla
2. Lismon Etteilla
3. Tarot Egyptien/Thoth Etteilla

And a pseudo 4th
Jeu de la Princess- which is the hybrid link to the Papus.

Of the 3 originals- the Grand Etteilla is still published by Grimaud- though the newer decks are not as well done. The lismon is only being published in mass market through Game Crafter- slightly different than the original deck print. The third variant again, either LoS or Dusserre.

I love my Etteilla deck and use it regularly, the Egyptien. It flows easier for me than the Grand Etteilla but your mileage may vary.

:)

Le Fanu

I like the LoS Book of Thoth / brown box deck (which I assume you're referring to) the most.

It's the spookiest, the darkest. In terms of ease of use the LoS Ancient Esoteric Tarot is probably easiest. It has keywords in English (not sure how accurate they are) but then so do the English versions of the Grimaud.

I keep vowing to learn the Etteillas better and this one - the one you don't like - is the one I'd like to use.

BSwett

I like the LoS Book of Thoth / brown box deck (which I assume you're referring to) the most.

It's the spookiest, the darkest. In terms of ease of use the LoS Ancient Esoteric Tarot is probably easiest. It has keywords in English (not sure how accurate they are) but then so do the English versions of the Grimaud.

I keep vowing to learn the Etteillas better and this one - the one you don't like - is the one I'd like to use.

I actually DO like it. I think it's really beautiful, the backs are great and the stock, all right. I just was disappointed because I was unaware of the different versions, and though I was getting the one I've seen in Robert Place's book; with white borders and strange Masonic symbols.
If I bump into an affordable yellow box grimaud, ill get it... But I'm now pretty happy with this.

Penthasilia

I actually DO like it. I think it's really beautiful, the backs are great and the stock, all right. I just was disappointed because I was unaware of the different versions, and though I was getting the one I've seen in Robert Place's book; with white borders and strange Masonic symbols.
If I bump into an affordable yellow box grimaud, ill get it...

Probably cheaper through Ebay or Amazon France than it is through US sites. But they are scattered about- pretty easy to find. :)