A newbie with a spread question

HighPriestesss

I've only known the celtic cross spread, and to me, it just seems to pin-point on one area (which shows up in Card 1).

If I were to make up my own spread, say, 3 cards in a triangular-downward layout and that would be the Querent, then 3 more to the left would be their spouse, 3 to the right their parents, 3 to the left near the bottom would be children, etc. Would that "qualify" or "be noticed" to my spirit-guides as my intentions and be answered accordingly?

I hope all that made sense. In other words, do I HAVE to follow protocol, or can I make my own, and the cards will present themselves in the respective areas?

<scratching head>

Redstar

As long as *you* know what you're asking and what positions the cards hold for you, I can't imagine you'd have any trouble at all. One thing I've learned, is that nothing is set in stone. :)

GreenMoonBeam

HP, You do the spread just as you want as Redstar said. Put the cards how
you can understand.
Hope to see a reading from you as well. :):

minrice

Oh yes, you can definitely do your own thing!
I think that is what works best in my opinion, when you can just create your own and have a better feel for the cards and the spread because you have made it your own! That's how I read most of the time, I rarely know what it will look like until I'm shuffling and sometimes until I've actually pulled them and put them down.