Horary: planets in houses

kittymumu

The aspect is only by sign, not by degree. That shows a link but its a weak link compared to a degree based aspect. The Moon originally had an orb of 13 degrees, being around its average daily movement. However the separation here is nearly twenty degrees.

Even if it was in orb, the sextile is the weakest of the major aspects and the one that is least likely to produce a perfection of the matter (unless supported by other factors, such as reception between the significators).

I think that is why some writers might identify it more with possibilities and opportunities because it's too weak to produce certainties except with support, rather than it leads in some special way to the desired outcome.

If the two planets were in orb, then there would be Reception in this case but they are not. Sign based aspects were not used by Lilly or other late Medieval or Seventeenth Century Astrologers and they have not been used since the late Hellenistic and early Medieval periods.

That doesn't mean they are not effective in the sense of producing an effect, they are but that effect wil very rarely produce a successful outcome - the only ones I can think of that would are those involving a mutual reception, for example Mercury in Taurus and Venus in Virgo.

Thanks for sharing your view on sextile! I have seen events asked taking place from charts with sextile with wide orb (13-15 degrees) . That made me think that sextile denotes good chance of things happening if the chart and circumstance also support such outcome.

As for receptions, do you consider essential dignities as one of them? (i.e. triplicity, terms, face & etc?) I see some readers count those as receptions at different strength. If that's true then this chart shows one sided reception from questied to querent which is moon in Capricorn receives Saturn as ruler and at term. Since we know that querent is willing to form a romantic relationship with the questied and the questied also recieves querent, would it be fair to say that there is a chance of them getting together?

Minderwiz

Thanks for sharing your view on sextile! I have seen events asked taking place from charts with sextile with wide orb (13-15 degrees) . That made me think that sextile denotes good chance of things happening if the chart and circumstance also support such outcome.

The operative phrase there is that the 'chart' supports such (an) outcome'. You need supporting chart placements and of those the Moon is by far and away the most important.

Incidentally, the Moon's next aspect is to the Sun just beating her conjunction with the Ascendant by 1 minute of arc. The Ascendant is of course a significator of the querent.

kittymumu said:
As for receptions, do you consider essential dignities as one of them? (i.e. triplicity, terms, face & etc?) I see some readers count those as receptions at different strength. If that's true then this chart shows one sided reception from questied to querent which is moon in Capricorn receives Saturn as ruler and at term. Since we know that querent is willing to form a romantic relationship with the questied and the questied also recieves querent, would it be fair to say that there is a chance of them getting together?

There are two kinds of Reception. The first is where one planet 'receives' another into its domicile. This requires an aspect between them and the aspect should be applying (or at least it should in horary). That's what you could have had in this chart if the separation between Saturn and the Moon was down to 13 degrees or less. Saturn would 'receive' the Moon into Capricorn. If there's no aspect then there's no reception.

The second type of Reception is a special case of the above. It's where two planets are in each other's sign and (for the Medieval Astrologers) there is an applying aspect between them. This is mutual reception and it's the strongest form.

By the time of Lilly, it was considered possible that the 'exchange of signs' (a phrase used by Hellenistic Astrologers) was enough to secure the matter was perfected, even if there wasn't an aspect (though the aspect makes it much better). Like Lilly the Hellenistic Astrologers seem to have accepted 'exchange of signs' without an aspect but again the aspect helps.

Now in theory the exchange of signs is not the only form of mutual reception, you can have it by exaltation, triplicity, terms or face, or indeed any combination of any essential dignities. For horary, I think you still need an aspect between the significators . I've tried mutual reception by exaltation in a horary but with mixed results. I'd suggest that you keep to only using it with applying aspects and certainly you would keep to those of Triplicity or Terms. Unless there's further testimony, I wouldn't place much weight on mutual receptions involving Face.

kittymumu

It's good to know the difference between different types of receptions. Thanks for pointing it out Minderwiz! I think I just learned so much from this thread :)