Barbara Walker Tarot - Please Tarot Gods or U.S. Games Reprint This Deck!!! :-)

G6

You lucky thing. :)

What's Navigators of the Mystic sea got to do with it? I don't get it. :)

Check Post #28 above. Feynrir said she didn't get the Barbara Walker Tarot hype, thinks it's a watered down Navigators of the Mystic SEA.

Tanga

Check Post #28 above. Feynrir said she didn't get the Barbara Walker Tarot hype, thinks it's a watered down Navigators of the Mystic SEA.

Yeah. I meant - after looking at the Mystic Sea - I didn't get it. Didn't think so - and don't get the preference. I wonder, is there a link where all the Mystic Sea cards are visible...

Oops - definite AT square eyes syndrome... must take myself off for dinner now.
:joke:

Le Fanu

Yes, had never really connected the two. I like them both for very different reasons.The Barbara Walker is brazenly strange. With a sort of eerie 50s vibe. I wrote a blog post on it once, you might want to read it (goldenVI).

When you think "strange tarot cards", these are the cards you think of.

I confess, I have three copies now - a nice boxed up pristine vintage Belgian one, a boxless Belgian one smelling ever so slightly of smoke which I use and one of the recent China reprints. Her contribution to tarot history is assured - she created one helluva deck. I also have her book on this deck.

I mentioned the Cat People just as an example of a deck that is perennially in print and not expensive. I find it a bit silly, personally. All that invented cosmic stuff. Why bother? There's enough fascinating true stuff in life without inventing an imaginary planet replete with details of the hierarchy. I wish they'd called it something 70s and disco - emphasised the clothes a bit more and the disco fever hair - forget cats - and I think they'd be onto something. As it is, a find it a bit silly and pointless.

G6

Yes, had never really connected the two. I like them both for very different reasons.The Barbara Walker is brazenly strange. With a sort of eerie 50s vibe. I wrote a blog post on it once, you might want to read it (goldenVI).

When you think "strange tarot cards", these are the cards you think of.

I confess, I have three copies now - a nice boxed up pristine vintage Belgian one, a boxless Belgian one smelling ever so slightly of smoke which I use and one of the recent China reprints. Her contribution to tarot history is assured - she created one helluva deck. I also have her book on this deck.

I mentioned the Cat People just as an example of a deck that is perennially in print and not expensive. I find it a bit silly, personally. All that invented cosmic stuff. Why bother? There's enough fascinating true stuff in life without inventing an imaginary planet replete with details of the hierarchy. I wish they'd called it something 70s and disco - emphasised the clothes a bit more and the disco fever hair - forget cats - and I think they'd be onto something. As it is, a find it a bit silly and pointless.

Sure, I'd like to read your blog post. Do you have a link? Barbara Walker does feels very retro. Her compositions are just so delicious though. Total eye candy. I'll check out Mystic Sea. I looked through some of the pics from the link above. Seems interesting. I read it's not a traditional tarot deck. More for intuitive reads.

The Tarot of the Cat People is wacky, but it's fun and the imagery there too is appealing. The artifice of it all is maybe what's most attractive. It's out there! :) The cats in some of the cards made me laugh. Like the 2 of Cups or the Empress, ha!

G6

I
I certainly find it cooler than the Barbara Walker :p To me the BW looks like a watered-down Navigators of the Mystic SEA. Maybe I'll take a second look and see what the hubbub is.

Let us know when you look them both over what the relationhip is between the two and your opinion, thanks! :)

magpie9

I think the main problem with the Barbara Walker is the huge white borders. It looks bad and makes the art too small 8 wish they'd change that one thing.

G6

I think the main problem with the Barbara Walker is the huge white borders. It looks bad and makes the art too small 8 wish they'd change that one thing.

This is another great reason for U.S. Games to put out a new edition. Less white borders would be ideal. The art does get lost a bit, you're right. I love the small deck size though. :)

G6

Bigger borderless and Pocket size too!

In my dreams new editions would include a bigger borderless version and pocket size too! :) Maybe there is some kind of anniversary for the deck coming up?

I have to say after spending a few days with the deck, Barbara Walker is a serious chick. I'd like to meet her someday!
:)