starting to learn tarot

gregory

I don't like DV's Angels - as is well known :cool5: - but that said - I think the keywords on them are peculiarly limiting. Just a thought.

She will work out her own meanings anyway.

delinfrey

We tend to underestimate children. If they are predisposed to the Tarot, they are well ready to grasp the concept of death, cruelty, worry etc. The wolrd is not only fluffy, and elder support in understanding these notions is important, but just hiding them is wrong imho.

I bought my very first deck in a kiosk, Majors-only, soon after the Russian occupation ended. I was 8 or 9 years old and used pocket money. The deck was a cheap knock-off of Marseilles and RWS images.

I don't think the classic archetypes need to be sugarcoated. We need to trust children more.

Ruby Jewel

hi my granddaughter is eleven and has a collection of oracle cards, she is fascinated with the tarot too but I feel this is a little to young , does anyone know if there are any simplified tarot cards for a young person just starting / something gentle suited to her age? some child related oracle decks ive seen are aimed at younger children but I cant find anything kind of a little more age appropriate for her in terms of tarot,
Or should I put her of this until shes older? anyones opinions greatly appreciated.

Have a look at the Hoi Polloi deck. It is a good learning deck for children. It's older so you will probably find it on Ebay.

Ruby Jewel

hi my granddaughter is eleven and has a collection of oracle cards, she is fascinated with the tarot too but I feel this is a little to young , does anyone know if there are any simplified tarot cards for a young person just starting / something gentle suited to her age? some child related oracle decks ive seen are aimed at younger children but I cant find anything kind of a little more age appropriate for her in terms of tarot,
Or should I put her of this until shes older? anyones opinions greatly appreciated.

Here is another interesting starter deck for young people: "Beginner's Tarot" by Kathleen McCormack. It has a very nice workbook and deck. Frankly, I like it even for myself....they are all really great in their simplified forms based on Rider Waiter imagery.

JMI_Tarot

Here is another interesting starter deck for young people: "Beginner's Tarot" by Kathleen McCormack. It has a very nice workbook and deck. Frankly, I like it even for myself....they are all really great in their simplified forms based on Rider Waiter imagery.

The idea of a workbook it interesting. I would have liked that as kid.

I have to say though, I also loved scary strange things. Slumber parties were always about seances, ouija boards, ghost stories, and "stiff as board light as a feather." (anybody else remember that?)

The best thing is, we never thought there was anything odd about doing that stuff. (and we were catholic school girls! hahahaha)

I really have great memories of that kind of thing, those parties. I would have adored tarot and so would have my friends, but we didn't have it unfortunately. And the stranger the cards the better it would have been for us!

BTW- we mostly turned out pretty okay. :angel:

Ruby Jewel

The idea of a workbook it interesting. I would have liked that as kid.

I have to say though, I also loved scary strange things. Slumber parties were always about seances, ouija boards, ghost stories, and "stiff as board light as a feather." (anybody else remember that?)

The best thing is, we never thought there was anything odd about doing that stuff. (and we were catholic school girls! hahahaha)

I really have great memories of that kind of thing, those parties. I would have adored tarot and so would have my friends, but we didn't have it unfortunately. And the stranger the cards the better it would have been for us!

BTW- we mostly turned out pretty okay. :angel:

Maybe look at the various witch tarots...kids nowdays love the witchcraft stuff...there are several good ones out there.

Carojulie

Hello,

One of my sons is ten years old. He is not interested in learning to read the cards, but he likes to look at my decks a lot, and to look at each image in turn, he can spend aa lot of time looking through a deck with me (never alone ! I am too careful of my cards and he is not careful enough yet)- the art takes him, I think. I thought you might be interested in knowing what sort of decks appeal to him, though of course, every child is different.

His favourite decks of mine are :
The Baroque bohemian cats, and the Bohemian Animal tarot,
The Distant past and the Touchstone (he likes the beautiful paintings)
The Magical forest tarot for its bizare and charming big eyed creatures
The Bohemian Gothic tarot (for the "monsters" and tthe gosths, they do not scare him, on the contrary he kind of like them - the "dracula" seven of wands even makes him laugh - apart from that he finds the deck very beautiful and loves the mat cardstock)
The Vanessa tarot (he likes the cartoonish characters, and the fact that they are all girls -I try to raise my sons in respect of feminism)
The Alice tarot (he loves this one, for the dream like quality, and for the beautiful metalic images, though some of the cards freak him out him a little, like the eight of swords and judgement -I understand, they creep me also, and I used to find the Alice stories creepy when I was younger - though he is old enough to endure it and talk about it)
The Hezicos tarot (he likes the elf like characters, and the thick cardstock)
The RWS (he likes the oldish illustration style)
The Wild Unknown (the art fascinates him)

Decks he doesnt like include the Marseille (to "grown-up" for him, he finds it boring), the tarot of Vampyres (he is too young to appreciate this kind of sensuality I think, so he finds it "meh"), the Animal Wisdom tarot (which I bought mostly for him, but he finds it too childish - while I myself love the deck), the Fountain (he does not appreciate the art, to my dismay) and the Deviant Moon deck (freaks him out, and this one he does not "get")

We are not concerned about nudity, espeically what I think is "neutral" nudity (not sexually charged - my take is that the most sexually intense images are not nessessarily nude). But I am careful of what he likes and what could freak him out.

The concept of death he deals with, in a way ten yrear old deal with. It fascinates and scares him a tad, but it scares us also doesnt it ? And he is old enough to understand it - ten is not a "very young child"

Maybe this experience will be of help to you. I learned that what I thought he would like is very different from what he ends up liking.
You are lucky that your child is interested in learning to read !
Good luck in your search for the perfect deck !

ayuryogini

Of course, no one knows your granddaughter as you do, but eleven really isn't that young; children that age have been exposed to a lot of life. Plus, as others have pointed out, children interpret things from the level of their own understanding, so you probably don't have to be super careful in your choice.

That being said, I highly recommend the Distant Past Tarot as it's actually been made for a child. You can also choose the size and they come in Poker size, 2.5" x 3.5", just right for a small hand.

When my granddaughter shows interest in tarot, that's the deck I plan to get her.