OPINION THREAD: DECK MODIFICATION

G6

MMmm.. the metallic blue really has a nice hue to it.... I do like the shade even more than the darker marker.

Could you maybe try it on the edge of an old postcard, or something, before you attack the deck ?
As I said, I have had many bad surprises with metalic markers (even the fancy ones) because their ink has a special texture and they tend to bleed. Plus, when they bleed, it shows a lot, because the metalic ink covers the dark borders of the deck, or the side of the image if the deck is borderless. Metalic ink is very visible and opaque, so when they bleed, having a colorful image or a dark border, will not help hiding the mess.
Actually, I did not edge many decks in metalic marker, but NONE of my attempts ended up looking good. So, before I would go with this marker on your deck, I would try it first on any old cardstock, just to make sure.

PS hey, I dont want to alarm you, LOL ! I just share my unhappy experience so it wont happen to anybody else :)
Good luck !

I tried them both and actually the Marks-A-Lot bled more. My guess is because the metalic marker is a Dollar Store cheapie. It is not dripping with gooey ink like a more expensive metalic pen/marker might.

Carojulie

I tried them both and actually the Marks-A-Lot bled more. My guess is because the metalic marker is a Dollar Store cheapie. It is not dripping with gooey ink like a more expensive metalic pen/marker might.
Cool, that means that the cheapest options are the best when it comes to metalic markers then ! Thank you for the info :)

Carojulie

Also I noticed that the markers with a lot of alcool in the ink, can bleed more under certain circumstances. They dry super fast, wich is a plus because you can stack your cards right away with no risk, but sometimes they tend to seep in between lamination if the cardstock is very matte.

CharlotteK

Also I noticed that the markers with a lot of alcool in the ink, can bleed more under certain circumstances. They dry super fast, wich is a plus because you can stack your cards right away with no risk, but sometimes they tend to seep in between lamination if the cardstock is very matte.
I've ruined some cards because of this bleed. I was just looking at oil based permanent markers - are they any better?

Carojulie

I've ruined some cards because of this bleed. I was just looking at oil based permanent markers - are they any better?

Hi Charlotte, I have only once used oil based permanent markers, on thick paper not on a deck, and the colors are super rich ; but the bleeding was worse : the pigment leeked just a little bit, but after a day or two, there was an other bleeding, much worse, that created a halo a few milimeters away from the pigments : it was the oil that had spread on the paper. It was quite a spectaculare bleeding in fact.
From now on I will only use oil based markers for art, in mixed media (great for fine lines and designes) but I will not let them near my decks !

CharlotteK

Hi Charlotte, I have only once used oil based permanent markers, on thick paper not on a deck, and the colors are super rich ; but the bleeding was worse : the pigment leeked just a little bit, but after a day or two, there was an other bleeding, much worse, that created a halo a few milimeters away from the pigments : it was the oil that had spread on the paper. It was quite a spectaculare bleeding in fact.
From now on I will only use oil based markers for art, in mixed media (great for fine lines and designes) but I will not let them near my decks !
Eek! Glad I didn't try those then! Sounds horrific!

G6

Okay, I had to sand the long edges of the deck with an emory board because they were rough, which may not have helped with the edging procedure. Mostly the color goes with the card faces and I like that it picks up the slate blue on the backs. This pen was okay. There was actually more ink in there than I initially thought, but not really noticeable on the face of the cards when all was said and done. You see the blue edge more on the yellow cards, but still fine.

SEE PICS HERE:

http://tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=5025208&postcount=40

Thanks for all your input, peeps! šŸ™šŸ»

nisaba

Have you had a look at the Pimp My Rider thread? Some great suggestions there!

G6

Universal Tarot - Edge Color?

This is the Universal Tarot by Maxwell Miller. It had some pilly edges that I sanded off with an emory board.

I'm leaning towards bronze, but I feel like I use that a lot, so....

1. Bronze

2. Silver

3. Brown

4. Black

What do you vote for here or something I haven't listed? Purple?

PICS OF UNIVERSAL TAROT by MAXWELL MILLER:

Attachments

• IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 185