Golden Tarot - The Emperor

Livia

This card denotes power, and loneliness that comes with it. The Emperor is depicted as a Ceaser. He is stuck inside with the symbols of his authority. I imagine this is a stuffy room in an Italian summer, with one little window and no A/C, just past the frame is a line of his followers and advisors pestering him. While he keeps a stoweick face he is tired. (Just my imagination taking it a step further). Unlike the Empress who is outside enjoying a beautiful day with their child, and nature, he is inside following his rules)
Sources..
For the Emperor
http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/s/simone/3assisi/martin_1/40renoun.html
information about St. Martin (I don’t think this is that important since he is more like a Roman Ceaser in the card)
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintm07.htm

The Fleur-de-lis that the Emperor is holding on his scepter has a vast meaning. Because of its three points it represents three (the trinity, and in boy scouts their scout promise). Virtually any three you can think of, I also think that to Catholics it represents the Virgin Mary (probably the best for this card given the time period these paintings were made), this might be because it is a stylized version of a lily flower which is purity itself.
The artwork for the Emperor, Black cape and throne, lion, and scepter comes form the art work of my all-time favorite early Italian painter Simone Martini. I was always drawn to his work, and later found out that my husband’s Italian roots include the Martini family (I just like to think that is the reason I was drawn to his work). And by the way, if you think it is odd I have a favorite early Italian painter, I was an Art Historian, and lived in Italy for a bit. http://www.christusrex.org/www2/art/Simone_Martini.htm has a quick bio on him. My other excitement when I started this writing was that the works that are the source for the black eagle, and lion is from Santa Maria Novella in Florence, one of the nicest neatest spots to visit in Florence. It is a bit off the normal tourist spots but it is a great place to see. http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/marian/marian.html

The black eagle source http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/g/ghirland/domenico/6tornab/63tornab/5vault3.html
I don’t know what the symbolism could be for the eagle but let me give it a shot. Eagles, and birds are messengers. They are able to reach the gods by flying high. The Eagle is majestic, and has been a symbol not only for Americans but for Romans as well. If memory serves the Roman’s regarded the Eagle as a symbol of the warrior, and power. Their legions would carry golden eagles or maybe it was a flag. I think it was the 12 eagles of Rome (the number could be wrong). Loosing an Eagle for a legion was catastrophe and they would go to no end to get it/them back.

Does anyone know the meaning of a black eagle? Or have a different interpretation?

WolfSpirit

I don't have much to add here. The emperor is the opposite of the empress. Looks like Kat does not like the emperor much LOL.
I was also thinking of the eagle as a symbol for the emperor. And the eagle is blocking the emperor's view - what looks like quite a nice landscape, and as far as we know his only connection with the outside.
I like the expression on the lion's face, he is just so, well, cute. But the emperor probably just has him as a symbol of power as well, he does not pay any attention to him and is just at his guard...not enjoying his power at all.

Grizabella

I thought that was a buzzard on the window sill.

The Native Americans revere the eagle because he can fly higher than any other bird, and therefore comes closer to the Great Spirit.

I don't find this card to be as rich in symbolism as some of the other cards, but I'm not an art historian, so I'm probably missing a lot.

I'm finding this Golden study very, very interesting.

letty

Wolfspirit, I agree that this is a kind of negative take on the emperor--it seems to be mostly about regret, loneliness, and the way that power can isolate and maybe corrupt?

I love the look on the face of the lion here--he looks scared!

I'm very interested in the bird in the window, but I don't quite understand it. The window seems to be indicated that the emperor, though isolated and interested in "The Laws of Man", still has some insight into the outside world, nature, etc. But I'm not really sure.

ivanna

I do not like this card at all. The emperors face seems to be a bit stupid. Sorry, but this Is what I felt first when I saw it. It is like the idiot who inherit the throne just because he is the son of the king, but nothing more?
And the face of the lion seems to be saying something similar to "OMG what an idiot"
I should start to look at this card with a different view, maybe I have some prejudices, but this Is not the face an emperor should have...

like if he is so tired or does not know what to do, indecisive.

An ugly card

KristinCali

I do not like this card at all. The emperors face seems to be a bit stupid. Sorry, but this Is what I felt first when I saw it. It is like the idiot who inherit the throne just because he is the son of the king, but nothing more?
And the face of the lion seems to be saying something similar to "OMG what an idiot"
I should start to look at this card with a different view, maybe I have some prejudices, but this Is not the face an emperor should have...

like if he is so tired or does not know what to do, indecisive.

An ugly card

Yes, yes, yes, ditto, and exactly...

I'm bummed about this card. I just can't take him seriously with that dopey look on his face.

Also, I noticed he is barely holding onto his scepter, like he doesn't care if it falls. He is slouching. That's not a man I would respect.