Which of the fun, colourful Marseille variants do you enjoy?

Darkmage

Actually...my fun and colourful fave is the Marseilles Cat tarot ;) Guilty pleasure!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/marseille-cat-tarot/

Same here. I've got the Grimaud red box Marseille and the Octopus Press one, too. Neither leave my house. Marseille Cats is a hit among my friends and clients, too, as there's nothing scary in there and the cats are really cute.

What it and Tarot of White Cats (both were done by the same artist) have in common is that the cats look like Richard Scarry's Busytown animals took over RenFaire. They work quite well.

Penthasilia

Actually...my fun and colourful fave is the Marseilles Cat tarot ;) Guilty pleasure!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/marseille-cat-tarot/

The Death card alone makes me want it- I just have to chuckle at that one, even Death can't resist a cute little kitty!

Thanks for the link :)

You know, on paper I shouln't like this deck... but I kind of love it :D

I completely agree- I typically am not a fan of the photorealistic decks- but this one just pops. The colors are pretty amazing and it is so easy to get into.

Penthasilia, I like your Marseilles choice as well :) That's an interesting approach! Fresh, and modern.

It appears to be based off the Jodo/Camoin deck- but definitely with a modern twist. It's just easier for me to get into than the traditional bugeyed ones.

blue_fusion

Of course I'd recommend the Tarot de Maria Celia! Haha

I love the old Fourniers too. They used to come cheap in these parts, like $5 each. The Spanish for it's rustic feel, the Marseille for it's blending, and the Esoterico for its quirkiness. They smell nice too, like women's powders.

-Ly

PS It's interesting that I stumbled upon this thread today of all days too (I came to this section to look for info about Bolognese decks :D ). Earlier today I took a break from a current project and played around with images from the Maria Celia and the Marcelo Inciso, resulting in the images attached. The left one is from the Maria Celia and could work as a vibrant color scheme for a future deck!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_14591792730780200.jpg
    FB_IMG_14591792730780200.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 225

starlightexp

I love the Fournier deck as well!

baconwaffles

Have you heard of the Pole Ka? There is no white space on the majority of the cards and it looks very hip, a modernized Marseille that retains its tradition at heart.
I am currently enjoying the Fournier Marseille deck, off coloring and weird faces and all.

Barleywine

My favorite is Mon Tarot de Marseille from tarotland.

Here is a video- skip to about minute 5 for the view of the cards. I think there may be an app for it too. It is a gorgeous deck and I do like reading with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxIehPDGir4

www.tarotland.com

I didn't think I would appreciate this one either, but I do like the atmospheric backgrounds on the pips and the court cards in general. The Trumps are kind of a mixed bag for me, but I see this as a very readible version overall.

My favorite colorful variant is the Fournier, and now that I see the Spanish Tarot is available from Amazon again, I want that one as a companion deck.

Richard

There seem to be a lot of so-called Tarot de Marseille decks for people who hate the traditional Tarot de Marseille. By the way, non-scenic pips do not a Tarot de Marseille make. If that were so, the B.O.T.A. Tarot would be a Tarot de Marseille.

Barleywine

There seem to be a lot of so-called Tarot de Marseille decks for people who hate the traditional Tarot de Marseille. By the way, non-scenic pips do not a Tarot de Marseille make. If that were so, the B.O.T.A. Tarot would be a Tarot de Marseille.

"Hate" might be too strong a word. Many of us are "backing into" the Tarot de Marseille from other destinations, and we're seeking a modicum of comfort in an alien landscpe. I think of a color-adjusted (I won't presume to say "enhanced") variant as representing the "Radiant RWS" or "Albano Waite" of the TdM universe. Those who produce authentic historical decks ought to cheer the upsurge of interest this creates, since it will most likely spill over into their world at some point.