TdM Sophie's Choice: Robledo v CBD

3ill.yazi

Shhh, I don't want the fine makers of both decks to hear.

I want to get a good clean working deck in the TdM II style, and I'd decided on the CBD just when the new Robledo was announced.

I'm stuck! Has anyone had both in hand to compare? I'm literally immovable. They both are at the high end of my budget, so I can't do the easy thing and get both.

If you had to pick one ...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLizarraga

Sophie's choice indeed. :bugeyed:

They both look pretty nifty, and they are pretty close in price: the Robledo is $49, the CBD, about $43. They both purport to be restorations of the Conver; not being a Tarot scholar or connoisseur, I can't vouch for which one would be better or more faithful.

Now, the Robledo sounds a lot more luxurious, with prime cardstock and a slightly more "aged," darker, more yellowy look. That in itself tips the scales in its favor, for me. But of course I love Ben-Doav's book...

Decisions, decisions...

3ill.yazi

I believe the CBD is a restoration of the Conver, but the Robledo is a wholly new creation drawing from numerous decks. I read that here somewhere.

Regardless, they are both of awesome quality.

FLizarraga

I believe the CBD is a restoration of the Conver, but the Robledo is a wholly new creation drawing from numerous decks. I read that here somewhere.

Regardless, they are both of awesome quality.

True, he talks about the faces being modeled after the Conver, but not necessarily the rest. I have a feeling that Ben-Doav's idea of "restoration" is a little freer than it seems; as was his mentor's, Jodorowsky, or Hadar's, for that matter. Those two decks are among my favorite Marseilles, though, authenticity be damned.

I agree that both are beautiful decks, but the Robledo still seems to be more luxurious in terms of cardstock and impression quality, judging by what he says. And, in my case, the aged colors are much more appealing than the cleaner CBD's, though that's a very personal preference.

eltarot78

Hello 3ill.yazi and FLizarraga

I speak softly, following and respecting the shhhh from 3ill.yazi :)
I just think appropriate to clarify and not my desire to influence
my deck is not a restoration of any deck, we could say that is the synthesis of my studies on the decks to my taste and understand more relevant and important , from what I understand , in the purest style TdM II, but a personal creation , as if a Pablo Robledo had lived in the 1760s and had been the recipient of a tradition.

The faces of the cards of the court, are those that have more kept the Conver , because are stronger and forceful , the others are based on other authors , but maintaining a line graph without losing coherence in the total set.

It is a set that over time one learns to enjoy their complexity

Basically any book on TdM can be useful to read this dek , I prefer to follow the line that formerly the decks were not accompanied by a book. the tarot is the book

as Ünger Tchalaï said , the Tarot is in the Tarot

3ill.yazi

Thanks!

daphne

Where from can Robledo be bought?

FLizarraga

Hello 3ill.yazi and FLizarraga

I speak softly, following and respecting the shhhh from 3ill.yazi :)
I just think appropriate to clarify and not my desire to influence
my deck is not a restoration of any deck, we could say that is the synthesis of my studies on the decks to my taste and understand more relevant and important , from what I understand , in the purest style TdM II, but a personal creation , as if a Pablo Robledo had lived in the 1760s and had been the recipient of a tradition.

The faces of the cards of the court, are those that have more kept the Conver , because are stronger and forceful , the others are based on other authors , but maintaining a line graph without losing coherence in the total set.

It is a set that over time one learns to enjoy their complexity

Basically any book on TdM can be useful to read this dek , I prefer to follow the line that formerly the decks were not accompanied by a book. the tarot is the book

as Ünger Tchalaï said , the Tarot is in the Tarot

¡Gracias, Pablo! I'm officially VERY enabled now! :heart: