Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

TdM - why not read it as other decks?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Citizen

Lee 
Citizen

Moderator note:

To my horror, I discovered that due to my own error, a post of Barleywine's in this thread got deleted by me inadvertently. Fortunately FLizarraga has quoted much of the deleted post, and the conversation seems well on track, but I do apologize to everyone.

Lee, Marseille Moderator
Top   #21
Citizen

Lee 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
Any such tome would obviously have to be a synthesis, but hopefully a well-reasoned one that takes all of your arguments into account. It obviously couldn't be a "cookbook," more a philosophical exploration with some suggested mingling of ideas for interpretation.
If you wanted to write such a book, I would be happy to read it!
Top   #22
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Moderator note:

To my horror, I discovered that due to my own error, a post of Barleywine's in this thread got deleted by me inadvertently. Fortunately FLizarraga has quoted much of the deleted post, and the conversation seems well on track, but I do apologize to everyone.

Lee, Marseille Moderator
I figured that's why you quoted something from my post under Fliz's name. I don't think we missed a beat.
Top   #23
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Quote:
If you wanted to write such a book, I would be happy to read it!
I'm tempted, but I don't have all the available English-language source material at my fingertips. Maybe someday. It would be a lot more fun than rehashing the RWS and Thoth canons.
Top   #24
Citizen

FLizarraga 
Citizen

Quote:
Moderator note:

Lee, Marseille Moderator
"The error, the error!"
Top   #25
Lunatic

Farzon 
Lunatic

Thank you for posting these pages, Barleywine! I guess I have a new book on my to-read-list now. And I think it will be inevitable to read the whole thing and then spend a lot of time with the cards...

And that's what fascinates me about the Tarot de Marseilles, that it is pretty much like a blank space. That I'll have get back to the basics again, question what I've learnt so far or re-learn it. In some way also a boot frightening...
Top   #26
Lunatic

Farzon 
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
Amen to that.

Looking at Marseille pips a la Enríquez or Ben-Dov has made me come up with my own visual ideas --like reading the coin pips as table settings, and the swords as lattice or trellis, or whatnot. But paradoxically that has also changed the way I read scenic RWS pips. Now all my Waite and Gray and Pollack tend to go to the background, and instead I start looking at stuff like the way those two children look at each other in the 6 of Cups, or whatever is in front of me.
I encountered a similar method of reading in the Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery. I don't know if Robert Place derived it from reading the Marseille... but I think a lot of illustrated decks lend themselves to this method, some more, some less. I was rather surprised when I first saw that it is a common method to read the Marseille!
Top   #27
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzon View Post
I encountered a similar method of reading in the Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery. I don't know if Robert Place derived it from reading the Marseille... but I think a lot of illustrated decks lend themselves to this method, some more, some less. I was rather surprised when I first saw that it is a common method to read the Marseille!
I just got the Sevenfold Mystery, and the first thing I noticed is that some of the minor cards are sparsely illustrated, and others don't really have "narrative" scenes. I haven't started reading the LWB yet, but I'm looking forward to exploring the deck.
Top   #28
Citizen

Lee 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
Yes, quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine
I just got the Sevenfold Mystery, and the first thing I noticed is that some of the minor cards are sparsely illustrated, and others don't really have "narrative" scenes. I haven't started reading the LWB yet, but I'm looking forward to exploring the deck.
Several of Place's decks have quasi-nonscenic pips, and one of his first decks, the Angels Tarot, has completely non-scenic pips, with playing-card suits no less.
Top   #29
Lunatic

Farzon 
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
Yes, much more symbolic than narrative... but they incorporate a lot of directional movement, much more than the RWS for example.

Looking at the Marseille minors, I see more and more of this movement here as well. But it's mostly symmetrical and I'm not quite sure how this will work out for me. Especially regarding drives and blocks, which I guess will come from courts and majors mostly...
Top   #30

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.