The Spanish Tarot - historical deck.

teomat

I really like this deck too. Everyone raves about the Noblet being 'full of character and quirky', but to me it comes across as cold and lifeless.

The Spanish really does seem to have a fun, warm and lively spirit. The expressions are priceless - the sly Page of Swords, the camp Magician, the zonked out Queen of Cups, the sexy Queen of Coins etc etc.

Bernice

Teomat: ....the zonked out Queen of Cups,

LOL! A real bad case of the 'morning after' !!
As you say Teomat, "the expressions are priceless"!

Bee :)

sapienza

Just wondering, is this deck actually considered a TdM? Is it based on any particular historical deck?

BrightEye

sapienza said:
Just wondering, is this deck actually considered a TdM? Is it based on any particular historical deck?
I seem to remember that it is based on a pattern found in northern Italy, but I could be wrong.

sapienza

Thanks for the link Bee. I've read through that thread though and didn't see any reference to the Spanish deck. Maybe I'm missing something, or just not very bright perhaps? :)

sapienza

Fascinating. Thanks Bee :)

Le Fanu

BrightEye said:
I seem to remember that it is based on a pattern found in northern Italy, but I could be wrong.

The name Ottone or Ottoni springs to mind. And that definitely sounds Italian. Ive never quite understood why this deck is called Spanish, as I don't know where the Spanish connection comes in. Im sure there is one as they wouldn't have given it this name for nothing.

Is this the deck which has the extra arm on the two children under The Sun?

This was one of the first decks I ever bought. (*sigh* ) I must have been 14 years old...

ETA; oops. I now see that the thread above linked to the mention of Ottone...