Chosson review in ipcs publication

Yves Le Marseillais

Marseilles Tuesday 04th June 2013

Hello happy collectioners and forumers,

Member of I.P.C.S (International Playing-Card Society), I am pleased to shows you a review from my facsimile of François Chosson Tarot just issued in Apr.-June 2013 Volume 41, No. 4.
Written by Mr Thierry Depaulis I.P.C.S Chairman and Playing cards expert.

For your information this worldwide Society will held his annual Convention in La Tour-de-Peilz Switzerland beside Lake Leman. >From 20-22 September 2013.

During this event, an exhibition on Tarot ("Jeu et Divination: Le Tarot révélé") will be unveiled at Musée Suisse du Jeu (Swiss Museum of Game).

Rare Tarot decks and moulds will be exposed and specific documents re Tarot will be issued and exposed.

Here is I.P.C.S Web site:
www.i-p-c-s.org

Feel free to join participants and see you here !!

Salutations from Marseilles City

Yves

Attachments

• CHOSSON REVIEW TD.pdf
    108.6 KB · Views: 198

frelkins

Wow! High praise from Depaulis!!! He hates everything. But he likes your decks. You're a serious playing card guy now, Yves! Don't forget us as you rise to fame. :)

kenji

Bravissimo, amico mio! :thumbsup:

BSwett

Yves, I have a question:

I've read various sources that mention the Chosson deck to be from the second half of the 1600's. Is there some general confusion regarding this Tarot's date?

B.

Yves Le Marseillais

Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin)

Yves, I have a question:

I've read various sources that mention the Chosson deck to be from the second half of the 1600's. Is there some general confusion regarding this Tarot's date?

B.

Hello BSweet,

There is no confusion but we have to think that:

Probably Mr Chosson bought this woodblocks to somebody else who engraved them before Mr Chosson start working.

This practice was frequent and not all cardmakers was also engravers.

When a cardmaker widow has no son willing to substitute to his father this widow had two options:
To sell materials (i.e woodblocks a precious thing)
To marry again with another cardmaker (frequently) who will use this woodblocks.

On Two of Deniers we see that 1672 is possible.

But with engraver initial letter (On Le Charior VII Major card) G.S it could means that Chosson was not the engraver.
Some thinks about Guillaume Sellon a Marseille cardmaker.

But François Chosson was NOT born in Marseille and very probably born very close to Roman sur Isère a small town not so far from..... Lyon and Grenoble.
At about 240 km North of Marseille.

All in one I put 1736 because this date is official date of beginning activity of F. Chosson in Marseille City.

I think that F.Chosson cames up in Marseille around 1734, established his workshop in 1736, lived in Marseille and..... died in another place. No traces in Marseille papers.
May be close to Roman sur Isère his native region.

I still search datas and this "cold case" is not closed for me.

Salutations from Marseille City

Yves LM

eltarot78

Hi Yves
Is commonly said that what we do on the day of our birthday's what we do during our year,
in Argentina today is the day of the writer,
I suspect that soon we will see any books on personal histories and genealogies of the Maître Cartiers written by you.
I wish you much happiness in your day mi amigo and a big hug.