In praise of giving a reading some time & reflection

euripides

A few days ago I drew a perplexing card. Like I just *couldn't* see it's relevance. Maybe I could have read it as the standard LWB type meaning, but that was neither the vibe I had on the the day, nor did it feel like a right meaning for the card - the 'standard' meanings just didn't seem to fit at all.

So I put it away. I picked up the deck again today and thought, you know, I should think about this card. So I looked for the artwork, because an aspect of it was resonating with me, and found a webpage that talked about the character of that specific card and its 'shadow meaning' - and just slightly diverged in aspect such that I had a 'penny drop' moment of understanding. And so it went from being a 'wtf is this card even' to 'this is deep', in terms of a really important insight into my own behaviour.

And really, this was not the sort of 'seeing what I want to see' reading but an 'opening the Johari window' moment, what would normally perhaps be a difficult observation to hear, or to make sense of, but which is really a 'why have I never recognized this before' shift.

In this case it was someone else's view of the cards, and not even in the context of an actual reading, that turned on the lighbulb, but I've had a similar (though less dramatic) insight by simply giving myself time to revisit a spread.

How often have you found that you've returned to a reading, or perhaps picked up an old entry in a tarot journal, to find that it suddenly made sense after all?

Often when we focus too hard on a problem, we get stuck in a pattern, only seeing the same (wrong) solution. When we let our mental wheels spin for a bit, while otherwise occupied - doing the dishes, driving - we allow our brains to test out other connections, look for other patterns that might match. So I would say, when you're stumped, perhaps don't be too quick to give up or draw a 'clarifier' (aka 'confuser'). Look around at variant meanings, and just give it some time and space.

Amsonia

I totally agree. I sometimes leave a spread out for a week, and just think about it, look up other people's interpretation of the cards, look at the pictures some more...I really never rush readings, since to me they are more about self discovery than anything else, and it takes time to let those things develop.

I also record my readings, and I do go back and review them from time to time. I really don't do many readings, not many at all, I prefer to take the time to let each one sort of "ring" in the present for a while...mature, and ripen if you will.

Farzon

Way too often, I don't rethink the meaning of a card, ignoring it's meaning even if I could have known in the first place... afterwards I'm usually more clever. Well, talk about learning things the hard way. Happens especially with readings for my free time, I don't seem to take that too serious...

I like to take pictures of my readings to revisit them during the week. Often, only time can tell how to interpret the cards. And as the present unfolds, also the Tarot's advice for the future becomes more clear. So a big thumbs up for revisiting readings over and over again!

euripides

I prefer to take the time to let each one sort of "ring" in the present for a while...mature, and ripen if you will.

That's a nice way to put it. I like the idea of the sound resonating and lingering.

I like to take pictures of my readings to revisit them during the week.

That's a great idea, I'll have to start doing that. When it's a single card, I'll usually put it on top of the deck for a bit.

Farzon

That's a great idea, I'll have to start doing that. When it's a single card, I'll usually put it on top of the deck for a bit.

Yeah, that way I can look into my readings wherever I am.

My brother even leaves whole readings at the top... but I usually shuffle my decks after the reading.

wheelie

I actually encountered this issue reading I-Ching and rune stones first. I think two things work together:

1. First impressions are important and not to be ignored.

2. It can take a little time for the full interpretation and application to develop.

For tarot cards, after the initial reading, I like to draw out the spread and highlight the suits in colors--purple for major arcana, yellow for swords, green for coins, blue for cups, and orange for wands. I fill in key words and first impressions on the chart, look for connections and combinations.

Like those old Polaroid snap shots, the full understanding can come in more clearly later.

Barleywine

How often have you found that you've returned to a reading, or perhaps picked up an old entry in a tarot journal, to find that it suddenly made sense after all?

Having read the cards for so long now, when I encounter this within the context of a specific reading, I usually pass the card by for the moment, continue on to the end of the spread and then circle back to the puzzling card with additional insights to apply to it. I tend to be relentless about getting it nailed down then and there, especially when reading face-to-face. It doesn't inspire confidence to simply say "I have no idea what this means in this situation," so I bounce ideas off the sitter to see what gets a reaction.

I know I keep saying it, but the piece of advice that comes closest to how I've always worked is James Ricklef's suggestion to just let the challenge "simmer in your consciousness" until it makes sense; it always does. I suppose in my case I just bring on the "fast-acting yeast." :D

barefootlife

When I read for myself, I read the spread as I understand it then, but I also take a picture of it, to go back and look later and see how my perspective has changed, either on the card or the situation.

When I'm reading for someone else, I'll spend 15-30 minutes sitting with it, and sometimes mentally bounce around in a spread, looking ahead and behind to see where the cards connect. The nice thing about doing internet readings is that I can move the order of my explanations around so that the sitter can get the most out of a reading. (for example, I did the cross part of a CC reading for a sitter the other night, and it turned out that putting past, then above and below (tied to heart and crossing), and then future was a much more effective way to communicate what the cards were saying, even though I'd originally read them in a different order.)

Annabelle

Yes, this is often true for me.

On the occasions that I read for myself, I tend to leave the cards out for at least a few days, and revisit them after a day or two -- usually they make much more sense later than they did at first.

And there have been a few times when I've bit struck with an "ah ha!" moment weeks or months after a reading, when I suddenly realized what the cards had been predicting.

CharlotteK

True for me too. It's why I don't generally read for myself every day, it needs to percolate.