Pronunciation....

Fulgour

Toeth.

I think they say "thawth" in Barcelona... *:p*

HudsonGray

With a lisp--- Thoth, like Thpagetti Thoth. At least that's how I was told (and it sticks forever in the mind).

Knight of Wands

I say Toth - silent H 'cause otherwise it sounds like I have a lisp and don't like it lol ;)

KoW

Windhorse

Sorry, I have to put my 2.2 cents (GST incl.) into this.

5 years of studying Egyptology is finally paying off....:D

It is pronounced T-HOT-T.
Those familiar with linguistics, the h's are aspirated, and soften the t - they do not combine with the t to form 'th' (as in "thaw").

And technically, he is not the Egyptian God of wisdom - Thoth is the hellenised version of the ancient egyptian Tjehuty or Tjehuet. In Alexandrian times, Hellenic and Egyptian culture combined and formed a syncretistic culture that was more than the sum of its parts - thus Thoth was the deity who was an amalgam of Egyptian Tjehuty and Hellenic Hermes. In some respects, he was a considerably different deity to boh of them.
Thus of course, the true roots of Alchemism lie here in Alexandrian times.

There... I feel better now..... :)

MikeTheAltarboy

Those familiar with linguistics will also know that languages evolve, and pronunciations change across languages and time. :-D
For example, the Academie of Beaux Batons, mentioned in the 4th Harry Potter book is pronounced quite clearly by Dumbledore as "bo' baet'nz" to use a quasi IPA spelling, and he was certainly not that ignorant of French. He Anglicized it; that's what we do. Th-as-in-think thoth is as acceptible as any other pronunciation.

Fulgour

MikeTheAltarboy said:
Those familiar with linguistics...
Mhany, ihf nhot mhost whords, vhary ihn phronhunchiachion.

gregory

HudsonGray said:
With a lisp--- Thoth, like Thpagetti Thoth. At least that's how I was told (and it sticks forever in the mind).
I've always been a Thpagetti perthon too. :p

Do we CARE ?

I am not being entirely frivolous; I do agree with Fulgour. It's like the Tarrow Carrot thing.... I hate to see people feeling inferior because someone told them that saying tarrot was uneducated and they should hide under a rock. I said tarrot for years, and still have a bit of trouble reforming.... Isn't the point to be understandable ? How do we know there's a right way ? I say potato and you say potato and until we get live voice chat here, you will never know which I am saying !!!!

Lillie

I say voff.

And if Tarot didn't rhyme with carrot why would it have a T at the end?

HudsonGray

For the same reason Agatha Christie's Poirot had one? LOL Maybe it's a French thing?

ravenest

Thoth Taroth

Windhorse said:
Sorry, I have to put my 2.2 cents (GST incl.) into this.

5 years of studying Egyptology is finally paying off....:D

It is pronounced T-HOT-T.
Those familiar with linguistics, the h's are aspirated, and soften the t - they do not combine with the t to form 'th' (as in "thaw").

And technically, he is not the Egyptian God of wisdom - Thoth is the hellenised version of the ancient egyptian Tjehuty or Tjehuet. In Alexandrian times, Hellenic and Egyptian culture combined and formed a syncretistic culture that was more than the sum of its parts - thus Thoth was the deity who was an amalgam of Egyptian Tjehuty and Hellenic Hermes. In some respects, he was a considerably different deity to boh of them.
Thus of course, the true roots of Alchemism lie here in Alexandrian times.

There... I feel better now..... :)

Interesting. I've always wondered about the transformation of Mercury, one version ... the original(?) he is a messenger and holds a 'baton' (a rolled up scroll or scroll in a case). After amalgamation he has the winged caduceus and relates to medicine (Opheichus has the serpent and the medicine as well) is this an inheretence from Tjehuty