which book first

Floss

I use RW when I read for other people, but for my own personal work/readings I always use Thoth. The Thoth deck (for me) works on a totally different plane - much deeper archetypal feeling with it which is why I use it only for myself (selfish creature I am!) - have a look on Amazon.com - you'll find several good books about the Thoth deck - good luck!

hope

Hey Jen!

Good question... I'm paying close attention because I jumped off the deep end, too. I picked up two books the other day that seemed like they would be useful. Of course, I'm pretty new to this so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

Anyway, I got a book by Akron-Hajo Banzhaf called "The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards by Aleister Crowley and Lady Frieda Harris." I particularly like the glossary at the back of the book.

I also picked up "The Tarot Handbook: Practical Applications of Ancient Visual Symbols" by Angeles Arrien. A tarot teacher I new some time back referred to this book on a regular basis and recommended it to her students.

I didn't see a review of either of this books here at AT and I do not know how they compare against the other recommendations that have been made so far. Even so, they might be worth a look next time you're at the bookstore.

-Hope

rachelcat

If you have limited resources, don't waste your time or money on New Age Tarot by James Wanless or Tarot: Mirror of the Soul by Gerd Ziegler. (Harshness Alert: The Wanless is a waste of the paper it's printed on!!!)

I got the The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards by Banzhaf shortly before DuQuette's book came out. It is pretty good if you want some ideas about the deck that are NOT based directly on Crowley's thought. (The translation from the German is a little strange at times . . .) (I still wonder if his Keywords for the Crowley Tarot and Tarot As Your Companion are just rehashes of the same info or something worth getting also . . .)

But, I agree with everyone, DuQuette is definitely your first book. And then Book of Thoth. Dive right in. It's not as difficult as you think!

Abrac

hope said:
Anyway, I got a book by Akron-Hajo Banzhaf called "The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards by Aleister Crowley and Lady Frieda Harris."
I'm particularly fond of this one.

Anyone know if there is a line-by-line commentary on the BoT? I start reading it and two sentences in I'm lost and bored. Sometimes I wonder if even Crowley knew what the hell he was talking about.

Ventrue

I've heard good and bad things about the Banzhaf book. most of the bad things are in reference to the translation job. It was "the" book to get before Duquettes came out.

In reference to understanding the BoT, when i first read it, after 2 pages i was like, um, yeah, put this shit down. after i read Duquettes book i found that i magically understood what Crowley was saying in BoT. So maybe go read some primers, and then go back to BoT and it will be more illuminating. it was for me.

-Ven

connegrl

I'm getting good stuff here. I've read one of Angeles Arriens other books that isn't Tarot related. It depends on where you are in your journey. When I first read it last summer it had meaning. When I went back to it just last week to look something up, I thought it was patronizing and weak. For that reason alone I would avoid her work.

Looks like I need to start with DuQuette. There are some writers that you need to work up to. Sounds like AC is one of them.

I've been playing with my new thoth deck, telling stories. Ohhh fun! DH even thought they were cool looking. That's big...he thinks I'm nuts.

Jen

thinbuddha

Abrac said:
Anyone know if there is a line-by-line commentary on the BoT? I start reading it and two sentences in I'm lost and bored. Sometimes I wonder if even Crowley knew what the hell he was talking about.

I suggest going straight to the card meanings on your first read... and picking up Duquettes book wouldn't be a bad way to ease into Crowley's world (it would be my reccomendation).

AC really does know what he is talking about, he is just poorly equipped for explaining it to anyone who doesn't already know what he is talking about. He makes a lot of assumptions that the reader knows about Qaballa and astrology and mythology and who knows what else..... Best bet is to start with Duquette- but the BoT is the one you will return to for future reads.

One reading of Duquette is enough- the second reading seems like you just got sent back a grade, and you start to realize that there isn't much depth to the book. I still highly reccomend it- it is very enlightening, but just on the surface. I read it while I was reading BoT, and could have sworn that it had all this great information in it.... But when I returned to it later on, I realized that the great information was really in BoT. Problem is that I never would have "groked" BoT without Duquette's help.

-tb

Cosmotaroist

I would like to add that the disadvantage of not getting the book of Thoth and using the PDF instead is that you do not get the wonderful indexed and illustrations found in the back of the book....2 diagrams of the tree of life....cardinal and zodiacal charts...etc.....

I don't see anything wrong with reading the Book of Thoth right away.....but if theres any confusions...i guess refering to Duquette may help