The Pictish Oracle

Alta

Okay, I'll pick one for the LWB meaning: v-rod and crescent.

Thanks.

BodhiSeed

Those are beautiful! Adding to my holiday wishlist. . . :)
Thank you! :heart:

Okay, I'll pick one for the LWB meaning: v-rod and crescent.

Thanks.
Alta, you picked the most intriguing and most discussed symbol of them all! :D Here's the LWB comment:

The crescent and v-rod appear approximately 32 times on class I stones. Some experts have suggested this symbol indicates death or weather magic. However, Jason N. Bellchamber has offered evidence that it represents a practical tool – a seasonal sundial or farmer’s almanac.
Suggested keywords: right timing, pace, schedule, preparation

If anyone is interested in Bellchamber's fascinating theory, it can be found here (It is listed in the LWB along with other sources):
http://www.bellchamber.net/Publicat...s a Seasonal Sundial by Jason Bellchamber.pdf

merissa_88

I have loved the Pictish standing stones and their art for years. Thanks for creating this. I'm very interested in your research.

BodhiSeed

Thank you Merissa. :) I think the most informative book in my research was Elizabeth Sutherland's "In Search of the Picts." It didn't have lots of pictures, but it did have a good summary of information and theories. For pictures to draw from, I mostly relied on "The Pictish Symbol Stones of Scotland" published by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.

AJ

yellow cedar
red cedar
alder
are the wood choices
Wales Woman, could you post a sample of the three woods side by side?
thank you!

WalesWoman

I will need to make a set in alder and take a photo of the one in yellow cedar that I am working on this weekend. So it will be Tuesday or so before I can add photos of the variations of wood.

BodhiSeed

The previous pictures in this thread are tiles made with red cedar. The picture below is one made with yellow cedar. :)

Attachments

• yellowcedar.jpg
    yellowcedar.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 121

BodhiSeed

I'll be using the Pictish Oracle on my blog this week paired with the Greenwood if anyone is interested (see the link in my Profile). :)

Aina

Wow, this oracle looks amazing. The simplicity of drawings and cards just makes it a sophisticated deck. The only thing is I am not familiar with the concept and meanings but it reminds me of runes and I feel it's going to be a successful deck :)

BodhiSeed

Wow, this oracle looks amazing. The simplicity of drawings and cards just makes it a sophisticated deck. The only thing is I am not familiar with the concept and meanings but it reminds me of runes and I feel it's going to be a successful deck :)

Thank you for your encouraging words, Aina. :D These are very much like runes, with meanings assigned to each symbol.