Fixed vs. Adaptable meanings when reading cards?

DJP

In any one spread used repeatedly by a reader or readers, a single card may fall repeatedly in that position of the spread for people with vastly different lives.

I read somewhere recently about a reader who had the unnerving experience of seeing the same three cards show up for four different querents. Apparently they gave four vastly different and lengthy readings.

DJP

stclair,

Developing your own personal meaning seems to me to be half the fun! And a great way to explore the world around you (or at least your take on it).

headincloud,

Thanks for outlining your reading philosophy. I love the way you mention in another thread your pride in identifying as an old school oracle/divinator (I'm paraphrasing).

obeygravity ,

Learning about how other people relate to each card is part of what made this forum such a fantastic place. :(

Gregory,

Exceptionally well put.... at least Tarot readers should be exempt from the coming AI jobs apocalypse everyone's going on about these days.

Grizabella,

Reading card combinations is something I MUST start practicing. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks again to everyone.

headincloud

Seems to me as the tarot is a complete system, that's to say 78 cards with innumerable fixed interpretations for each card at play with the dynamics in the rest of the spread gives us billions of possible interpretations all within the traditional prescription, makes me dizzy without changing up the meanings or doubling up with interpretations of my own. There is a reason why these energies and meanings are grouped as they are, if you add your own interpretations the chances are they won't be in line with the energy of the card. I wonder if someone who doesn't apply rote meanings and just reads the images is actually practising the art of tarot at all, why not read the pages in a magazine or tea leaves?

rwcarter

I wonder if someone who doesn't apply rote meanings and just reads the images is actually practising the art of tarot at all, why not read the pages in a magazine or tea leaves?

And once again you're disparaging those who don't read the way you do. It's one thing to say, "Applying rote meanings works for me while using adaptable meanings doesn't". Instead you question whether those who don't read the way you do are "actually practising the art of tarot at all." You aren't the tarot police or the arbiter of what does or doesn't constitute tarot reading.

headincloud

And once again you're disparaging those who don't read the way you do. It's one thing to say, "Applying rote meanings works for me while using adaptable meanings doesn't". Instead you question whether those who don't read the way you do are "actually practising the art of tarot at all." You aren't the tarot police or the arbiter of what does or doesn't constitute tarot reading.

I'm not claiming to be, just sharing a thought. Questioning everything is the way I learn and it works for me. You're a mod, not a sacred authority on tarot and others are entitled to their opinions whether you agree with them or not. peace.

rwcarter

I'm not claiming to be, just sharing a thought. Questioning everything is the way I learn and it works for me. You're a mod, not a sacred authority on tarot and others are entitled to their opinions whether you agree with them or not. peace.

You weren't questioning or even sharing a thought. You may not realize the way you come across, but it's disparaging to those who do things differently from you.

Grizabella

I've found that all the card meanings are adaptable depending on the situation, the question, the reader, the spread, the other cards. The rote meanings we learn at first are just suggestions to get us going. From there, we evolve over time and develop as readers to where we have a myriad of meanings and card combinations that speak to us.

The readers who read strictly intuitively also have their place. We all have our own methods of working. Psychic ability has been scientifically proven to exist now----double blind studies and all----and it works differently for each of us. Far be it from me to say someone else is wrong. The proof is in the pudding as the old saying goes. :)

gregory

You're a mod, not a sacred authority on tarot and others are entitled to their opinions whether you agree with them or not. peace.
If it were worth it at this stage, I'd report that post for dissing another member. :mad:

But instead I will just say that I don't use rote meanings AT ALL, and I seem to get results, so...