Horary DIY

Ronia

Hi, thanks for the responses. The first situation was "Will Q have a date with B?" - is this fifth house or seventh?

The second situation is like Barleywine got it - I asked something about work (I don't have the chart any longer) and I and the work had the same significator, it was Mercury I recall. How do I proceed then?

Barleywine

Since "dates" (and especially first dates) are usually romanticized beforehand, with the anticipation of being fun, I would still say 5th house. If the question is whether it would lead to a more lasting relationship, it would look like 7th house to me. (But Minderwiz has already said that :))

Regarding the work-related question, 6th house is the querent's "job" and "co-workers" (also "employees" if that happens to apply in your case). Alternatively, if it's about career stability (like, for instance, getting promoted or fired), 10th house would be the focus area. But I'm not sure we're talking "apples and apples" here. I'm thinking house meanings, not planetary significators. I know in astro-geomancy it's possible to have the same planet in multiple locations in the chart, but I'm having difficulty seeing how Mercury could appear more than once in a horary chart unless you're considering Mercury house placement as one instance and Mercury rulership of a significant house cusp as the second.

Ronia

:D Well, if the Ascendant is in Virgo, for example, and the job house (regardless 6th or 10th) starts in Gemini, what do you see? I see the ruler is the same - Mercury. Where am I wrong? Is there another ruler of those signs?

Barleywine

:D Well, if the Ascendant is in Virgo, for example, and the job house (regardless 6th or 10th) starts in Gemini, what do you see? I see the ruler is the same - Mercury. Where am I wrong? Is there another ruler of those signs?

Ah, now I see that you're talking rulerships, and wherever Mercury is would be relevant to both houses. It could only be 1st-10th, though, since Gemini couldn't be on the 6th cusp with a Virgo Ascendant. If the work question is about a decision to be made that affects the querent, I would look at the condition of Mercury in the chart (dignified or debilitated by sign and house, aspects to any planets in the 1st, 6th and 10th, aspects to the ruler of the 6th and to Saturn with its 10th house affinity). It should also reveal something about the querent's objective mental outlook on, or (especially if the Moon is involved) subjective preoccupation with, the work or career issue. But that's just basic astrology. Minderwiz or another of our more experienced "horarians" (Astrae, is it?) can be more specific than I can.

Ronia

Huh, this sounds complicated... I'll wait for another chart like that to post it, I can't do this myself, it seems.

Minderwiz

Some comments

The situation seems to be the one that I addressed, albeit with a different example.

If the Ascendant is Virgo and the job (10th) is Gemini:

Start by assigning Mercury to the querent:

Then check the tenth for any planet in Gemini and in the tenth, if so use that as the significator of the job.

If there is no planet in Gemini and the tenth, go for a natural ruler of career, profession and social status - the Sun is the obvious one, for any job. If the querent has told you the type of job, then you might choose a bit more selectively - jupiter for any legal profession or for any religious profession, Mars for the armed services or the police or security services or the security industry, Venus for arts, including the performing arts, fashion, entertainment, leisure, would be some examples.

The same principles apply where you have Jupiter ruling both houses, though there things are a little easier as you can use Venus as the exaltation planet in Pisces.

For Aquarius and Capricorn, you have Mars exalted in Capricorn as the exaltation planet.

For Taurus and Libra you have Moon in Taurus and Saturn in Libra, so there's always a deputy standing by :)

For Scorpio and Aries you have the Sun exalted in Aries.

However in all cases check to see if there's a suitable planet in the house, before choosing the exaltation planet and even then, if an obvious natural significator is available, it's always worth considering.

As you get more experienced you might find situations in which you find it 'fits' better to use a different significator for the querent but don't do that till your confident about your methodology.

There are some questions that are solely about the querent in themselves or in regard to their homes. In these questions the Ascendant ruler signifies both the querent and the quesited. In that case follow Barleywine's suggestion about judging on the basis of the condition of the Lord of the Ascendant.

I'd only use the sixth for a job, if I was the employer or manager of the person doing it - for example if I was an employer considering the merits of a potential employee or asking the question 'Will the plumber turn up to mend my leaking tap?' - the plumber is my 'servant' for this particular task and I'm his/her 'employer' if only for a brief time.

On using the seventh for a date:

'Will Q have a date with B?' is a seventh house issue as it involves two separate people who are not connected in any other way. 'Will Q go on a date with his/her friend B?' moves the question to the eleventh because B's current relationship with Q is not just any two people or even two named but unrelated people.

Sometimes you have to think a bit to know what the querent is really asking

'Will I get a date next month?' could be a question asked by someone who just wants to go on a date no strings attached to get out of the house, or who would like to go on a date for a good night out and some fun. In such cases I would use the fifth house, the question really is about the activity and about having a good time.

If the same question is asked by someone and you feel that they are really looking for more than a date - they see it as hopefully being the start of a long term romance, then the question shifts to the seventh - it's the relationship of two people that has become important, not having a good night out. How do you know which it is - you ask the querent, as nicely as possible, what his/her hopes are, plus you get a feeling from talking to them what they are really looking for.

Ronia

Thanks, Minderwiz. It's a bit difficult to picture it now, too bad I didn't save the chart. I'll try to get another similar chart and apply what you've written here. I'm a visual person and get lost in reading. Pictures work better for me. LOL

Still, what if there is more than one planet in Gemini in the 10th house in your job example? Which of two planets (for example) I should choose? Intuitive?

Minderwiz

Thanks, Minderwiz. It's a bit difficult to picture it now, too bad I didn't save the chart. I'll try to get another similar chart and apply what you've written here. I'm a visual person and get lost in reading. Pictures work better for me. LOL

Still, what if there is more than one planet in Gemini in the 10th house in your job example? Which of two planets (for example) I should choose? Intuitive?

Two possible ways of deciding:

Either take the one nearest the House cusp - that is the one in the earliest degree of Gemini and still in the tenth House.

Or take the one that seems to fit the situation best - if you have say Venus and Mars (in that order) and the question is about a job in the security industry, then Mars would be the better choice, even though it's further from the cusp.

There's no hard and fast rule on this, just as there's no rule that says you have to take a planet in the house over the exaltation planet, or indeed that you can't use the triplicity ruler. Experience can help obviously, so can knowlege of what planets naturally symbolise and sometimes if more than two houses are concerned (such as questions about the sale of property or possessions, or questions about items lost, mislaid or stolen), you may find that your choice can be quite dramatically narrowed, and you have to make some hard decisions on which planet to use as a significator for each of the 'items' you are considering.

Ronia

OK, next time when I get such a chart I'll just post it here first and I'll rely on some help with this. Thanks for the guidance, I'll keep all this in mind! :)

Ronia

Here is a chart I cast for myself, 10:50 am on March 3, Sofia, Bulgaria; question "Will I meet JL this year?" I take 1st and 7th house rulers first. I'm Mercury, he is Jupiter. There is no aspect. Mercury is in the terms of Jupiter, Jupiter is in the face of Mercury. How should I read these?

If I take the Moon as me, she is in Cancer in her home, in the terms of Jupiter and in his exaltation but she's separating from him, weird as I've never met JL before. Jupiter on the other hand is past the exaltation degree of the Moon in Taurus but isn't exaltation by sign?

However, Moon is applying to a trine with the Sun and there won't be another major aspect before that. And here I get a bit confused how to decipher all the connections both planets have to Jupiter by terms, face, etc. Moon in 9 degrees Cancer is in the exaltation of Jupiter, and in his terms. Sun in 13 degrees Pisces is in the terms of Jupiter and in his face. Does this add to the trine somehow? The Moon is in the 2nd house, the Sun on the cusp of the 11th but still in the 10th. Connection through work/career? Business meeting? But this is highly unlikely, we're so far in terms of business... Is the trine and the reception to Jupiter enough here to say "yes"?

What does the North Node mean on the DC? Is it significant somehow? And Pars of Fortune in the 5th? How do they add to the picture?

P.S. By the way, if I had just asked if I was going to have a date soon, this chart would also have had the same ruler for me and the question - Mercury for the 1st and Mercury for the 5th house, and there is no other planet in the 5th (I don't know how to read Pars of Fortune there), so I'd have had the same issue - how to proceed with same ruler and no other planet in the 5th house.