Decks that won't work with you

Arania

The few decks I needed to get warm with I usually let sit somewhere for sometimes years as suggested.

I never had a deck I already bought suggest it wouldn't work with me. I would think the spirits attached to the decks, as I would see it, would tell me ahead if something was amiss.

Charlie Brown

I always do a three card entrance interview with a new deck.

1) What makes you unique
2) What can I learn from you
3) How do you want to be utilized

Alison Cross

Been reading this thread with interest and am thrilled that a couple of you are using my Tarot Kaizen book and finding it useful! Can't tell you how that makes my heart sing! Thank you - keep using it <3

Ali x

ilikeskittles

I have an "art of tarot" (no idea, that's just what it said on the box?) deck that I received as a gift from my mom... she has the same one, and its her favorite deck, so she bought a set for me. I honestly hate it. It never gives me straight answers, so I just don't use it. I keep it in the box it came in for when my mom comes to visit, sometimes she'll pull them out and do her cards (and go figure, they answer her). I think you can try to get comfortable with it, and see what happens, otherwise if it's been a while and you're still not feeling it, just use a deck you're more comfortable with. For me, I gave it a couple years off and on, and the vibe I get from it is still just blah, so it's my mom's designated deck at my house now lol. Oh well, I tried...

ilikeskittles

I always do a three card entrance interview with a new deck.

1) What makes you unique
2) What can I learn from you
3) How do you want to be utilized

I like that, if I get a new deck anytime soon I'm going to do that too!

psyphy

The Thoth. Nothing against the artwork or Uncle Al himself but I have no use for this sort of ego-driven delusions.

pixelswithin

First of all I love birds! So I jumped through some hoops (got a Japanese forwarding address) to purchase these cards: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hrtg/t-0556/

But for some reason they just don't click with me. They seem negative?

Maybe moody... just like some birds šŸ¤£

EmpyreanKnight

Thankfully this has not happened to me yet with any of my decks. I almost always conduct deck interviews upon unboxing them, and I don't have any that has been negative towards me. Otherwise I'd probably get sad. šŸ˜ž

PinkDestruct

I've definitely had decks I did not mesh well with, and I've even had decks..."leave me". I don't push or force anything. I've always been of the mindset that what is meant to stay, will stay. But now I wonder if I should have tried to hang on to them. Ah well...

catschinwag

I've recently decided that I was going to "start fresh" and academically learn how to read tarot than just intuitively with no real foundation. By going the academic route, it's helped me to focus on consistent practice, than what I was doing previously.

Part of "starting fresh" was that I did the interview spread with the deck I'm currently using: Revelations Tarot by Zach Wong. In no uncertain terms it told me it was angry that I've neglected it for so long and that it won't trust me as long as I'm immature and unfocused. I should probably consider at this point using one of my other decks, but...stubborn wins out.

I hope to not come across decks that just won't work with me in the future, but I guess that's inevitable since I'm determined to do this long-term. I always naively thought that if I made the choice, and the choice felt right, that that deck was to work with me now or in the future.

Has it been hard to let go of those decks you sincerely wanted to work with? Or has it been a relief?