The Book of Thoth

lark

Triquetra said:
You know, I've had this problem recently, the thoughts going through my head even as I post messages on the boards here, that perhaps people think that what I write is...stupid, meaningless, ignorant.
And then I wonder...is it my own deflated self-ego saying that, putting myself down? Or is it the truth? Who can say which of my words will touch someone's heart and which will not, which will be rich with deep meaning, and which will seem to be fluffy cloudy nothingness? I look around at the other members, people like HOLMES, or Rusty, or any of the many many people whose experiences and knowledge with the Tarot far exceed my own meager bits of knowledge, and I'm amazed.
The freedom of the written word, of these messageboards is that you don't HAVE to read the words typed.
That was very beautifully said Triquetra.
Straight from your heart.
And I read every word :)

baba-prague

Re: Is Book of Thoth a prerequisite to using the Thoth deck?

Rusty Neon said:
Many people, especially those who use intuitive approaches (à la Pollack, etc.), get by happily with the RWS deck without having ever read the GD materials or PKT

I don't want to get into this discussion about Thoth, but just to say that if you read "78 Degrees" by Pollack in fact she does make a lot of references to the Pictorial Key and is clearly building on a very good knowledge of the book. I agree that in later work she refers to Waite a good deal less.

I tend to read and reread Waite. Not because I want to simply use his approach "as is" but because he was, after all, co-designer of the deck and therefore what he has to say deserves to be taken seriously - I find that it's more useful than it sometimes first appears. I also draw on Yeats more and more, but that's another whole discussion.

Anyway - let you get back to Thoth...

crystal cove

Re: Re: Is Book of Thoth a prerequisite to using the Thoth deck?

tarotica said:
To do what exactly?

People can get by happily on ignorant feelings. Indeed, ignorance is felt by many people to bring bliss. But it is questionable that "getting by" is in any way getting real and true insights about or via Tarot.

Who exactly would be the judge of that? The point could also be made that some don't even consider the Thoth "real tarot".

Centaur

Is the link to the online version of this book dead now?

It just does not seem to be working damn it.

Unless I have the wrong link ofcourse. ;)

C

Centaur

Thank you Kosmos. I was beginning to think that I was doomed to purchasing a copy. LOL.

C

firemaiden

I'm frustrated that the angelfire site no longer works. I've downloaded that pdf file, but there are no chapter headings, navigation is impossible, I can't copy, cut and paste the text. :(

Has anyone been able to find any additional sites with at least some of the Book of Thoth text on it?

I know, I know, moan, moan , moan...

Cerulean

On links.

Thanks for the links.

The letters are great--I did read in the Duquette book that Lady Frieda Harris paid Crowley to edit and see over her painted work. So the references to the stipend and her various discussions of colors and such were quite interesting to me. What fascinating material is there.

Mari H.

firemaiden

Many, many thanks, AmounrA.