Advice for a beginner?

Aure

As you may have read on my thread on 'New Members' and on the thread here on Internet resources, I'm a novice on Thoth Tarot. I've had the deck (two actually) for a couple of years and have done occasional readings for myself. Now I have been more active with the cards and would like to know where to start in learning how to use them?

I have Ziegler's book and some info I printed from the net but I'm not sure whether to study the meanings in them carefully or to just 'play' with them and maybe look up the meaning from manuals if necessary.

I don't know anybody back here who would have a study group so you guys are really my only source of information on the subject.

jog1118

have a look at the "Using Tarot Cards" forum and check out the sticky "Forum Table of Contents-How to Read"...the topics here are applicable to any deck, IMO...

:smoker:

edited to correct sticky name

Simone

Hi there, and welcome!

I'm using Ziegler's books too for occasional reference. IMO he has quite an intreresting way of approaching and interpreting the Thoth deck.

What I did to get into the deck was just starting readings (for myself in the beginning) and looking up the meanings. So after a while, I got to know every card and its "meanings by the book", and then intuition began to whisper ;)

Light and love and enjoy your deck!
Simone

Thea Lynx

Hi Aure,

By far, I prefer Ziegler's Mirror of the Soul when I need to refer to the text. It was especially helpful when I first worked with my Thoth deck. The affirmations and meditations helped me to remember and understanding the meanings of each card and its interplay with the others.

Arrien's Tarot Handbook is also wonderful, but quite a handful at first. She does, however, have daily log and growth card charts in the book complete with permission to photocopy. I use the daily log sheets religiously - it is a wonderful tool to pick up on the trends of what cards come up most often for you in a given time period or overall.

I know some who complain about the labeling on the minors (like "ruin" on the ten of swords) but I have found that since each card must be viewed with the full range of its meanings in mind when looking at a spread, these key words are very helpful to me.

Thea Lynx

kingsofsleep

what I like...

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette is a really great book that helps you to understand the universally feared (but greatly needed) Book of Thoth by AC.
I would also suggest The Crowley Tarot Handbook by Akron and Hajo Banzhaf .
Personally, I don't like Ziegler as I find him to be a bit too happy, happy, joy, joy...tarot, like life just isn't that way.
To me at least, self honesty is a key component of reading the cards and if all you ever think is that the glass is half full then you will never be completely honest with yourself.
I'm not saying that one should have a bleak and desolate view of life either. I am a complete believer in the power of positive thinking. I just think that when assessing a situation one should be able to accept the darkside that is inherent in us all. We need that balance.

KoS

Phoenyx*

Welcome to the boards KoS. :)

crystal cove

Aure said:

I have Ziegler's book and some info I printed from the net but I'm not sure whether to study the meanings in them carefully or to just 'play' with them and maybe look up the meaning from manuals if necessary.

I have Ziegler's book, Arrien's book, and I plan to get Duquette's new book, if I can ever manage to get around to it. ;)

I like to read what others have to say about the cards, but make up my own mind as to what the cards mean to me. It's easier in the long run than memorizing other people's opinion. In fact, as time goes on, I use books less and less. Trust yourself!

Centaur

Hi Aure,

I agree with what has been said already. I guess I am also a novice with regards to the Thoth. I too have Ziegler's book, and I also occasionally refer to the on-line version of the Book of Thoth by Mr C. As others have said, I think that it is handy to read through the books available to yourself and familiarise yourself with each card meaning, etc. But equally important, I feel, is the experience of connecting the cards to oneself: sort of like an association exercise whereby you become more intimate with each card, its symbols, and meanings.

I like to look at the cards and just let my mind wander too.

As twenty~one says, I think that it is very important to trust yourself.

C

lionette

I see kingsofsleep has already recommended my fave! "The Crowley Tarot" by Akron and Hajo Banzhaf. (ISBN: 0880797150)
Lots of interesting symbology tidbits. Easy to read and good reference.

Another book by on of the above authors, "Keywords for the Crowley Tarot" by Hajo banzhaf and Brigitte Theler. I've found it good as a quick reference and helped to broaden my vocabulary past the keyword printed on card.

Good luck with the deck!

Emily

There really isn't that many books on the Thoth to read but the few that are available are all good in their own ways.

Keywords for the Crowley tarot is short and to the point, Mirror of the Soul is a little more involved and makes you question the cards, see how they relate to you, The Handbook to the Cards (Banzhaf) is a big book and is really extensive in its interpretations, a heavy read lol - the Arrien books sort of goes off and does its own thing, a big book .

Tarot as your companion (Banzhaf) compares the Rider Waite and the Thoth and then the new book by DuQuette is based on explaining the Thoth through Crowley's own writings. I like all of these books for different reasons and couldn't really name a favourite although I am enjoying DuQuette's book. :)

Edited to say:-

I forgot all about The Book of Thoth, read about the cards in Crowley's own words lol (I don't have this book---yet) :)