Book T and the Astrological Signs

franniee

Scion said:
No NO. I have a PDF copy I need to post. Can I post a PDF copy here?

thank you....I came upon this thread a bit late. :)

Scion

You were right on time...

Always Wondering

Scion said:
Think of it this way. There are four basic qualities: hot, cold, wet, dry, which in combination produce 4 elements: Earth Air Fire, Water. There are three modes in which those elements express themselves: Cardinal, Fixed, Mutable. Each Zodiac sign can be understood as one of the 12 possiblities (3x4) So Libra is another name for Cardinal Air.... and using the symbols of Libra allows us to refer to all of the things implied by Air and Cardinality. The Decans take it a step further. Each of the 12 signs is further divided into 3 decans: Ascendant, Succedent, and Cadent which sort of map the territory of the sign. Which is why the first 10 degrees, the 2nd 10 degrees, and the 3rd 10 degrees of Libra are all distinct.

So... working backwards you have 36 decans with are 12 groupings of 3 (Ascendant, Succedent, and Cadent)... And those 12 are in turn grouped by Mode and/or Element. It's a way of breaking down the manner in which stuff manifests.

:D

This is intresting, I have never thought in terms of hot, cold, wet and dry. Will there be more on this? Or is it as basic as hot + dry = fire, maybe? Wet + cold = water. But then there is hot water and cold fire (as in a diamond). Hmmmmmmmmm.

AW

Scion

Lots more on that if you want. I just taught a class on Empedocles... who is regarded as the point of origin for that line of thought. It isn't arbitrary though; the classical elements come from a consideration of those qualities... and inform pretty much every school of thought that follows for the next 2000 years...

Fire = Hot + Dry
Air = Hot + Wet
Water = Cold + Wet
Earth = Cold + Dry

With that in mind it's easier to see where elemental dignity comes from and also how astrology ascribes character to celestial events.

Also these don't refer to physical, mundane fire/Air/Water/Earth but to something more like a state. We might describe them as Energy/Gas/Liquid/Solid. The other thing worth noting is that Empedocles doesn't refer to them as elements but as Roots (Rhizomata). He says they are “form rather than content, structure rather than image.”

Once Galen popularized the medicine of humors, astrology becomes the Queen of the Sciences and dominates the occult consciousness for a couple millenia. :D

But that's probably another thread too, right Similia? Feel free to split this elemental stuff if it's better elsewhere.

Always Wondering

Yes, I would love to learn more of the elements, in the right place and time. Guess I souldn't get too carried away, like the cold fire thing. :|
AW

mosaica

Thanks for starting this great thread. My problem is that I'm trying to learn all this when I don't know much about astrology to begin with. But the signs are slowly beginning to have meaning for me.

kwaw

The Martian's Penis

"A middle aged couple went to a spouse swapping party. They met a Martian couple and thought it would be nice to switch partners for the night. So they went off with the opposite spouse. When the woman saw the male martians' penis she said "Well that's nice but it's kind of short isn't it?" Well the martian reached up and patted his head. While he did that his penis got longer and longer. The woman saw that and said "That's nice but it's not very fat is it?" The martian reached up and pulled on his ears. As he was doing that his penis got fatter and fatter. The women had a grand time that night. In the morning the man and woman were comparing their experience. The woman said "I really enjoyed myself, we should swap again." The man said "I enjoyed it too but, I just can't figure out why she kept patting my head and pulling my ears!"

The first decans of each sign follow the orders of the days of the week starting with Aries/Mars - Tuesday

The second decans of each sign follow the orders of the days of the week starting with Aries/Sun - Sunday

The third decans of each sign follow in the orders of the days of the week starting with Aries/Venus - Friday

If you forget what rules the first 3 decans of aries, aries signifies the head, tap your head and remember the MarSunsVenus ;)

So for example, what rules the second decan of Leo, Leo is the fifth sign (aries, taurus, gemini, cancer and leo). The second decan of Aries is marSUNvenus = sunday, so five days from and including sunday =

1 sunday, 2 monday, 3 tuesday, 4 wednesday, 5 = thursday and thursday = jupiter; ergo, jupiter is the planetary ruler of the second decan of leo.

Kwaw

Grigori

Phew Scion! I was getting worried

elvenstar said:
It may be an idea to look at them in groups of three first, so that we slowly progress from general to specific? That way I guess we can examine what e.g. the 2, 3 and 4 of wands would have in common due to being ruled by Aries.

Yep, that sounds like a good plan Elevenstar. It also means we can introduce some general astrology information before we get further into things. Eventually we'll be able to start to factor in the planets, then the decans, then the magical images, then the,.... :D

There is a thread here in the astrology forum with a list of resources for astrology information. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15205 It might be a useful place for many to start also.

fluffy

I have been wondering about the cardinal things relating to the "signs". Why isn't it in order of how the "signs" appear to run starting with Aries eg

Aries is 1st of signs and is cardinal (start of the element)
Cancer is 1st of water signs (following on from aries) and is cardinal (start of element)

yet.........

Gemini which is first of air signs is mutable and taurus first of earth signs is fixed? why aren't they both cardinal?

Love Fluffy
xx