Darkana Tarot Deck on kickstarter

Alta

I seem to be on page 4. Christmas?

gregory

WE can CHECK ???

OK - off to look....

(MAN I am THICK :laugh:)

OK - right - page three. I shall come in from sitting under the mailbox then :D It is raining rather anyway... :)

Alamaris

I preordered it from the website after the Kickstarter ended -- I bet I'm at the tail end of the list! :laugh:

Patience, Alamaris, patience.

starlightexp

So not to sound picky or anything but he said that he is having to pay for the shipping out of his own pocket as he didn't figure the costs correctly, but the project funded almost 3 times what it was supposed to. I wonder what would have happened if it hd only reached the original $2000. This would make for an interesting blog.

gregory

So not to sound picky or anything but he said that he is having to pay for the shipping out of his own pocket as he didn't figure the costs correctly, but the project funded almost 3 times what it was supposed to. I wonder what would have happened if it hd only reached the original $2000. This would make for an interesting blog.

Please don't start... :(

shadowdancer

yikes... I am page 3 :( I thought I was one of the early ones. It had only been going something like 3 days when I thought I entered as a backer.

No worries - Christmas present will be fine.

Not read too many reports/reivews on this deck as yet. How enigmatic. :)

eta: it was in the post box this morning. Just gone through it very, very quickly to check all cards were there. Looks in order, so will find time when there is natural light again (rain/grey clouds = not the right time) to really look at it in detail.

starlightexp

Please don't start... :(

I really didn't mean to start anything I just thought it would be a very interesting thing to read about the sourcing process on this. I'm still uber excited to get my deck (having touched Nicky's in person) I love the whole creation process and wish we got to see more of it.

gregory

yikes... I am page 3 :( I thought I was one of the early ones. It had only been going something like 3 days when I thought I entered as a backer.

Wow - and I SHOULD be closer than NZ. I was on page 3 too.... I HOPE we don't have CUSTOMS issues....

Starlight - I bought a deck post campaign not long ago and they had raised WAY more than they had asked for. I asked - with genuine interest, as someone I know was considering doing kickstarter - what happened to the extra cash and got a VERY snitty reply saying well, we underestimated, made a loss anyway, and there were artists to pay, so... No suggestion of what they would have done if they had got only what they asked for

It was - not a reply that would encourage me to buy from them again.

There's an interesting page about kickstarter (which I hasten to add I do still support in principle, which I just can't indiegogo...) pointing out that you will NOT get your money back even if it all goes pearshaped and you end up with nothing.

Not that that has stopped me - I am still awaiting 5 kickstarter decks, I think; but since you mentioned overfunding - it would apply there too. In theory someone could raise $70k for a $2000 project and take the money and run ! It only seems to have happened once.... so far - some computer game or other.

OnePotato

The target goal is a MINIMUM, not a maximum amount that the artist needs in order to fund his work.
Despite what some people here are implying, the real hope is to go well over that amount, so that they can make some kind of living just like the commercial publishers do.

So when he says he had to "take it out of his own pocket", it may very well be that he did three times the business as his initial goal, and made more than a bare minimum, but he still had to make up the difference for the shipping cost out of what would have been his profit from the project.

If he had only reached his minimum goal of $2000, there is no more reason to think that he would not have made good on his side of the bargain than there is to doubt ANY tarot creator, whether they are on kickstarter or not, independent or commercial, amateur or professional.
Questioning his integrity, whether directly or by implication, (as some have done on this forum,) is not called for, and is not nice.

gregory

What he actually said in the emails was simply that he had miscalculated the postage and was having to cover it. I'm not querying his integrity at all; he just seems wildly disorganised.

And I feel sure that almost all projects on kickstarter that get their money will deliver. I certainly hope so, as I have several up there I'm backing myself :laugh: But there ARE already cases where it hasn't happened, and people need to realise, when they back someone, that they may end up with nothing, even if it is fully funded, as there is no guarantee or a refund - it would be between you and the person you backed.

The way they are set up seems to be that all the backers will get their decks (I'm only looking at tarot ones here) as they have asked for the amount they need to finish and print, and that if they get more money than that, they will print more and sell them on etsy. That's what one or two of the people I have had direct email contact with have actually said, though one has quit his job to finish faster, as he got so much more. More power to him !

The person who responded quite unpleasantly to me after I had bought a deck not as a backer, but later, definitely implied that they couldn't actually have afforded to print the decks if they had only got the amount they had tried for. Which would have meant that the project would have gone under and everyone would have lost. Not good.

There is an essential difference between someone selling a finished product that already exists, and someone raising money to get the thing printed in the first place, though. Tangible goods vs - well, NOT tangible goods !