Darkana Tarot Deck on kickstarter

Eno

So not to sound picky or anything but he said that he is having to pay for the shipping out of his own pocket as he didn't figure the costs correctly, but the project funded almost 3 times what it was supposed to. I wonder what would have happened if it hd only reached the original $2000.

If they calculate for example 100 backers which get a deck for 20 $ and the calculation was wrong and they would have needed 22$ /deck they would have lost 200$ when they get 2000$,they will loose 600$ when they get 300 backers(=decks) and 6000$....

Artists who are bad in math need an agent....

trzes

If they calculate for example 100 backers which get a deck for 20 $ and the calculation was wrong and they would have needed 22$ /deck they would have lost 200$ when they get 2000$,they will loose 600$ when they get 300 backers(=decks) and 6000$....

Exactely. It does sound a bit illogical at first glance, but the more money you rise the worse it gets for you (once you've got the math wrong).

OnePotato

Well, I don't believe it's that simple.
I would expect that there is some profit built into the minimum goal.
So rather than a "loss" of $2 per deck, it may simply mean not as much of a "profit" per deck.
It doesn't necessarily mean there won't be enough money to cover the job.

Also, the price of printing usually goes down as the quantity ordered goes up.

But more importantly, none of this suggests any reason to question the integrity of people on kickstarter any more than people selling through other means.
I can see no reason to point out possible reasons why this seller may not honor his orders.
None.
Anyone can cheat you. So why am I hearing so many specific warnings about kickstarter from some people?

trzes

Also, the price of printing usually goes down as the quantity ordered goes up.

Point taken. If the amount of decks rewarded is much larger than in the minimum goal, then it should become easier to cover the costs or make a little more profit. But depending on HOW bad your business math skills are you might still lose money.

But more importantly, none of this suggests any reason to question the integrity of people on kickstarter any more than people selling through other means.
I can see no reason to point out possible reasons why this seller may not honor his orders.
None.
Anyone can cheat you. So why am I hearing so many specific warnings about kickstarter from some people?

I fully agree. I hope that my post didn't sound as if I would imply that the darkana deck might not be delivered. It was just making up a theory why the creator might be a bit frustrated. And all I have heard so far sounds as if it's all a bit slow but going it's way.

Annabelle

Wow, all these shipping issues are news to me. My copy of the Darkana arrived earlier this week. It is fascinating and unique and weird and, indeed, dark! :)

shadowdancer

I too am a little confused by comments regarding the issues of postage re this deck.

Yes, Dan raised a lot more than he hoped for through the campaign, but he also in turn had more orders which accounted for the amount raised. Therefore any profit is not really there. More orders than anticpated = more decks to be printed = more cost to the creator. Yes, there may be a discount offered by the printer according to how many decks are printed, but even so - $20 for a deck AND postage always struck me as being a tad ambitious, so I don't doubt he was having to fund this a little out of his own pocket.

Can we get back to discussing the deck? I feel a little uncomfortable with how this thread may go otherwise :(

Penthasilia

I am happily awaiting mine. I am sure it when come when it is supposed to.

For those who have it- any thoughts on how it reads? Any reviews to post- or favorite cards?

I would love to hear about what your initial thoughts are on the deck! :)

Sulis

Moderator note

A few off topic posts have been removed.
Could we please stick to discussing the deck and the kickstarter campaign and leave the creator's personal Facebook page out of things?

Sulis - moderator

kalliope

I received my Darkana deck on Tuesday, and I'm so pleased with it! It was wrapped very simply in brown paper and shipped that way.

The box art design is really clever (and it appears within the deck, too). I especially like the minors, and think his unique twists on the cards are modern and fun. The cardstock is on the thinner side, but it has that nice, subtle linen texture that good playing cards have. There is no LWB. I agree with an earlier comment that the keywords are very small and easy to ignore if you don't like them. I received two signed cards (extra copies of cards in the deck), and the box was signed as well.

Overall, I'm very happy that I funded the deck! (FWIW, I was on page 3 of the backers.)

starlightexp

I hope that means mine is on the way :) I'm on Page 2