Oracle decks with many cards?

Miss Divine

Thank you, Miss Divine! What a gorgeous deck! I was thinking about I Ching-based Oracles, and I'm sure I'll get to learning that system one day. Only, perhaps, not soon. :D

I don't use the I-Ching option with this deck. Trust me it works perfect as just an oracle. The meanings are clear and it covers all aspects of life.

dancing_moon

I don't use the I-Ching option with this deck. Trust me it works perfect as just an oracle. The meanings are clear and it covers all aspects of life.

Thanks for clarifying that point! It makes things a lot easier, then. :D

HighPriestess

The Whispering Oracle has 85 cards and the creator is doing a deluxe edition with even more cards (originally there were going to be expansions but now I think they'll just be included in the deluxe edition).

The Breath of the Night Oracle has 103 cards (it's a Lenormand deck but with a bunch of extra cards so it can be used as either a Lenormand or an oracle).

2dogs

Sustain Yourself Cards have 101 and are pretty good nature based cards with a title and keyword, quite easy to read intuitively.

I haven't used it myself but Oracle-X has many expansion packs that can be added.

They weren't designed as Oracle cards but I'm using The Photographic Card Deck of the Solar System and The Photographic Card Deck of the Elements which have 158 and 126 cards. The Solar System deck works best for me as it has a lot of text as well as images; the Elements deck less so, but paired it helps find the message in the Solar System cards.

dancing_moon

Thanks for these, HighPriestess! The Whispering Oracle looks curious, but I'm not too keen on text-only Oracles. Could work very well for someone else, though. :)

Oh yes, and the Breath of the Night, I know this one. Definitely worth another look. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your suggestions, 2dogs! Sustain Yourself Cards definitely look intriguing and very busy. I like that. :)

I guess expansion packs is the new generation of Oracles. I guess they figured, if it works for board games, then why not Oracles? :joke:

And yay to The Photographic Card Deck of the Solar System and The Photographic Card Deck of the Elements. :bugeyed: I've never thought of that, but I guess any card set is a potential Oracle. I keep remembering lovely sets of painting reproductions that used to be sold here in postcard size. :heart:

danieljuk

Hi Dancing Moon :heart:
There was a thread about this a few months ago where the OP was looking for the most cards in an oracle here Most of the suggestions here are the same as there, Ocean and Tea Leaf have the most of all. I have the Tea Leaf Oracle and I find it a bit overwhelming to be honest and you need many cards for a good message, I would rather use Lenormand. Miss Divine is totally right about the Tao Oracle, you don't need any knowledge of I-Ching and can completely read it from the pictures. I have been learning I-Ching (after buying the oracle :) ) and taking it to the cards I find it actually annoying (using the LWB's method). People on AT largely recommend the holitzka oracle deck for I-Ching but the Tao is wonderful as an oracle, beautiful pictures! The I-Ching element just feels a bit "bolted on" after the pictures were done. It's a sister to the Osho Zen Tarot but the artwork and card themes are completely different.

I have found that oracles over about 70 cards just become difficult to use for me personally, you can get a great message with combinations with 70 cards or less. Sometimes much less than that. I would also recommend personally Linnie's A'Ha Oracle at 77 cards.

Cocobird55

The Waterhouse Oracle has around 80. They all have Waterhouse paintings on them -- very cool.

dancing_moon

Thanks for your thoughts, Daniel! :thumbsup: The link was very helpful too, thanks for digging it up. I don't often venture into the Oracles forum, so I missed it. :)

I can see how it would be a bit overwhelming to have a multiple-card Oracle, and I guess I'd use Lenormand too if I needed a precise and informative answer. However, I'm still curious about how a large Oracle deck would work for me, more as an introspection tool than anything else for now.

Oh, and if/when I start learning I Ching, I'd like to do it the 'old' way, with coin tossing and everything. Will it sound convincing if I say I'm not beginning because I haven't found a set of good antique Chinese coins yet? :rolleyes: :D The cards are lovely, though.

A'Ha Oracle is definitely worth a try as well. Thanks for this! :thumbsup:

Cocobird55, the Waterhouse Oracle is simply gorgeous. The price is gorgeous too, but it must be good quality coming from Seven. :) Thanks for mentioning it!

Cocobird55

Waterhouse Oracle

The quality is very good, and the art is amazing. I bought a bag with a Waterhouse picture from Baba to keep it in.